Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4870 fan was extremely loud and was vibrating so badly it was locking up my pc so i ripped apart my card and cleaned out the old grease(not much left) in the back of the fan and i used some cheap machine oil(came with my mothers sewing machine) 4 drops and spun the fan by hand for a minute or 2 and refilled the fan again (hole in the back of the fan) and spun it again and filled it up once more put the plug back on and put duct tape over it and put my card back together and fan speed went from 2900 RPM at 100% to 4300 RPM at 100% and it only cost me like 3 bucks.

hope this helps some of you with loud video card fans.

ok this is how i did it step by step

FIRST OFF MAKE SURE YOU WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY MY CARD IS AN XFX SO IT WILL NOT VOID MINE IF YOU VOID YOURS DON'T BLAME ME BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T READ THIS.

1. remove the screws from the back of your card be extremely careful not to slip or you WILL damage your card permanently.

2. carefully remove the heatsink off the PCB and make sure you do NOT bend the card you will most likely damage it.

3. depending on your heatsink configuration you may or may not need to remove the fan which will have screws to remove just look for them might be hidden depending on the manufacturer

4. on the back of the fan there will be a label remove it and you will see a small plug might not see it at first but just look carefully and you will find it that is the barring access

5. take your machine oil or whatever you plan to use but be sure it is light oil and not anything thick or it will burn out the fan instead of helping it i recommend sewing oil as i know first hand it will work. fill the hole with oil but don't overflow it or you will have a hard time getting the tape to stick on it. spin the fan and if your barring is as dry as mine was you will see the oil level go down when it does keep refilling it until the fan is very smooth feeling when you spin it and it doesn't stop right after you spin it basically use common sense here.

6. replace the plug and put tape over it to keep the oil from leaking out.

7. put the fan back on the heatsink and screw it down but be careful not to over tighten it or you could strip the head of the screw or the screw hole. make sure you put it on correctly.

8. clean the gpu die and heatsink and you can replace the thermal pads with new ones if you want but not required. Put new T.I.M on the GPU (NON CONDUCTIVE) and put the heatsink on make sure to alight it the right way or you will smear the T.I.M and will need to re clean the GPU and put more on.

9. screw down the heatsink but once again be careful not to over tighten, that's pretty much it after that you put the card back in your computer and check fan speeds and for vibration and most importantly watch your temps.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
nice... how about a small tutorial with pic... sure tu could get some rep out of it

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiZeL View Post
nice... how about a small tutorial with pic... sure tu could get some rep out of it

i can make steps on how but i dont have any pics but im sure i can find some on Google thanks for the suggestion

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
Nice, I take apart all my fans and relubricate them with Bones Speed Creme for skateboard bearings.

• Rep+
Reactions: ehume

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPie View Post
Nice, I take apart all my fans and relubricate them with Bones Speed Creme for skateboard bearings.

i never thought of that good idea.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
On the first line of the instructions it says fans, should this say screws instead?

This line:

Quote:
1. remove the fans from the back of your card be extremely careful not to slip or you WILL damage your card permanently.
Nice one though, hopefully it saves a few 4890 owners.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackeduphard View Post
That is a really good idea! good way to keep your expencice Hardware going for a while longer

and its a good way to save some cash because chances are if you RMA it they will charge you shipping both ways.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willhemmens View Post
On the first line of the instructions it says fanf, should this say screws instead?

This line:

Nice one though, hopefully it saves a few 4890 owners.
actually this will work on every fan type out and i know first hand it will work on normal fans too i did this on my processor fan. yeah ill run a spell check.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post
actually this will work on every fan type out and i know first hand it will work on normal fans too i did this on my processor fan. yeah ill run a spell check.
I ment to write fans. And I see you've changed it.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willhemmens View Post
I ment to write fans. And I see you've changed it.

ahaha yeah i been up all night little tired

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
OP: I always recommend lubricating sleeve bearing fans before you put them to use, and re-lubing them every few months - just like your car. See item 3. in my sig. Also, I have temporarily resurrected seemingly dead case fans this way.

This goes beyond that. Really nice idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPie
View Post

I'm going to look this up.

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
According to Bones "Bones Speed Cream is a high temperature, low viscosity synthetic skate lubricant specifically formulated by Bones to reduce friction, and protect against corrosion".

And that is why I use it on my fans. It's fairly cheap as well, just go to your local skate shop to pick some up or buy it online. Shouldn't really cost more than $5 USD. I would also recommend using a precision lubricator before just straight up dripping the lubricant into your fan considering 1-2 drops is pretty much enough for a skateboard bearing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts