Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now im running 2 hard drives, a 120gb and a 1TB drive. the only thing on the 120GB drive is windows xp (which i no longer use) and the "System" files (according to disk management)

the 1TB drive has windows 7 on it. however when i remove the 120gb drive, my machine wont boot. even though windows 7 is on the 1TB drive, for some reason, my computer still needs that 120gb drive in order to recognize windows 7 on the bigger drive?

i want to remove the 120GB drive because its somewhat noisy, but i cant figure out how to get around this drive recognition issue.

(also, the 120 drive is still connected with the IDE cable, the 1TB drive is SATA

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Set your BIOS boot order with the 1TB (Windows 7 drive) as the first and only boot device.

Also, if you're not using the 120GB drive, quick format it. I highly doubt any of your Windows 7 boot files somehow managed to slide over to that drive and make themselves at home, and I don't see why it would be necessary for boot other than if your BIOS boot order were mixed up.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Its probably having an issue finding your boot manager. Windows is weird when you install 2 OS's on one machine and both drives are connected.

Try this
Remove the 120GB HDD
Load into your BIOS
Select boot from disk
Start up with windows 7 disk
Repair your files

Its probably trying to locate your boot manager which is on the 120GB HDD, so you need to repair your 1TB drive so it also has the boot manager.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see. ive tried unplugging the 120 drive, n' selecting the 1tb drive as the boot, but it wont recognise the OS for some reason

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kRze.baLLiN!
View Post

Its probably having an issue finding your boot manager. Windows is weird when you install 2 OS's on one machine and both drives are connected.

Try this
Remove the 120GB HDD
Load into your BIOS
Select boot from disk
Start up with windows 7 disk
Repair your files

Its probably trying to locate your boot manager which is on the 120GB HDD, so you need to repair your 1TB drive so it also has the boot manager.

agree with ya idea 100% ^^

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeast
View Post

i see. ive tried unplugging the 120 drive, n' selecting the 1tb drive as the boot, but it wont recognise the OS for some reason

It's most likely that your MBR was installed on the 120GB.

Do a repair install with the 1TB only installed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If your 120 drive was originally your boot drive Win 7 ended up locating its boot manager on that drive. I agree with Set your bios to recognize your 1tb as its boot drive and boot up with your win 7 disk in the drive and do a repair of the drive to install the mbr onto the 1tb. that should fix things up.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
3 for a repair install. There's no reason that it will work any other way.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive tried the repair startup feature, and it still asks me to 'insert boot media' even though ive told it which hard drive to boot off of

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it keeps saying it cant the partion table cant find a valid system partition?

do i need to change something in the partition manager? make the windows 7 partition the 'active' drive or something?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts