Overclock.net banner

3161 - 3172 of 3172 Posts

·
Folding Fanatic
1,484 Posts
Congrats!! That's a ...load of points 😂
I don't think I'll be able to come anywhere near you, as soon as the temps go up here I'll be slowing down!
Thanks! I don't blame you there, I picked up a big ol lancool case and a 750w platinum psu, I'm moving my 2080s to the garage once winter is over, it's cooled but theres no return so in theory it won't hurt the electric bill as much since it'll be isolated from the t-stat heh, we shall see. You're doing some serious damage, you might catch me!

• Rep+
Reactions: Bastiaan_NL

·
Fold on!
6,946 Posts
Thanks! I don't blame you there, I picked up a big ol lancool case and a 750w platinum psu, I'm moving my 2080s to the garage once winter is over, it's cooled but theres no return so in theory it won't hurt the electric bill as much since it'll be isolated from the t-stat heh, we shall see. You're doing some serious damage, you might catch me!
That's a great idea to move a heatsource out of the house, I wish I had anywhere to put those systems besides my bedroom or my office. My apartment is one level with a flat roof, so even without the systems running it's pretty warm.
I'm still impressed by what my systems are able to do, slowly marching towards the top 10 of OCN. The unit count shows the big difference, your 148k vs my 17k. It took me 8.5k units to get to 15 million points 9 years ago, and 8.5k units for the last 1315 million points this year.

·
Folding Fanatic
1,484 Posts
That's a great idea to move a heatsource out of the house, I wish I had anywhere to put those systems besides my bedroom or my office. My apartment is one level with a flat roof, so even without the systems running it's pretty warm.
I'm still impressed by what my systems are able to do, slowly marching towards the top 10 of OCN. The unit count shows the big difference, your 148k vs my 17k. It took me 8.5k units to get to 15 million points 9 years ago, and 8.5k units for the last 1315 million points this year.
I didn't have that luxury last year, so it's a nice improvement. Thats a big swing, are you folding on cpus? Every cpu I own is also folding, I think they tend to have much smaller faster units. It took me 6 years to get my first billion, at my present rate I'll be rolling over the odometer every 3 months lol.

·
Fold on!
6,946 Posts
I didn't have that luxury last year, so it's a nice improvement. Thats a big swing, are you folding on cpus? Every cpu I own is also folding, I think they tend to have much smaller faster units. It took me 6 years to get my first billion, at my present rate I'll be rolling over the odometer every 3 months lol.
I was folding on every CPU a few months ago, I think it was before the Cuda update. The 3950x was pumping out a unit every 30 minutes, pretty nuts!
But now, for some reason I can't get it to work in such a way that there is no decrease in GPU performance.
The last few CPU units I did were taking 2 hours each on 12 threads on the 3950x. 300k ppd but a loss of 200k ppd on the GPU, not worth it imo.
I'm not the only one having this problem, I saw something about it on the folding forum too with the same processor. Even with Process Lasso locking tasks to individual cores, which seems to work, I still see the TPF go up after starting the CPU client. I still need to give Linux another try, but all the hassle to get that working does not motivate me at all :confused:

Pretty insane isn't it? Working years and years to get where you are, and totally crushing those numbers in only a few months..

·
Folding Fanatic
1,484 Posts
I was folding on every CPU a few months ago, I think it was before the Cuda update. The 3950x was pumping out a unit every 30 minutes, pretty nuts!
But now, for some reason I can't get it to work in such a way that there is no decrease in GPU performance.
The last few CPU units I did were taking 2 hours each on 12 threads on the 3950x. 300k ppd but a loss of 200k ppd on the GPU, not worth it imo.
I'm not the only one having this problem, I saw something about it on the folding forum too with the same processor. Even with Process Lasso locking tasks to individual cores, which seems to work, I still see the TPF go up after starting the CPU client. I still need to give Linux another try, but all the hassle to get that working does not motivate me at all :confused:

Pretty insane isn't it? Working years and years to get where you are, and totally crushing those numbers in only a few months..
Thats news to me, I hadn't heard about cpu folding hurting the cuda gpu wus. I've always folded cpu, so I suppose I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference, but my cards seem to be getting whats expected. 3-3.5 on my 2080s with i5's set to 5 cores, 1.2ish average on my 1660 fleet with smp 14 on 2700, and 10 on 5600x and 1600. I'll have to pay attention once I get the dedicated 2080 rig running as I don't intend to run cpu on it. I've not had good luck attempting to run AMD machines with multiple folding cards, while also cpu folding.

I'm right there with you on Linux, I tried a couple years ago, I think it was <10% improvement for way more time invested screwing around with each machine until I got it right, so I went back to the dark side heh.

It really is, but it's awe inspiring at the same time. I folded for a couple years for the madonion team wayyyyyyy back in the day, it took me a couple years to get just under 11k lol. The thing that amazes me the most is the machines I was using at the time (Athlon 950 Socket A, later Athlon XP 2600+) were totally adequate for everything I did, for a long time. I think I retired my last axp rig in '09? I suppose things haven't changed much, One of the rigs I built for the shop is a Sandy Bridge i5, which is a decade old... (and folding, somethin like 10k ppd).

·
Fold on!
6,946 Posts
You could test it by finishing the unit your CPU is working on, you should see the GPU TPF go down by a few seconds.
I gave it another try last night, started folding on 24 threads on the 3950x and 2 threads on the 7700k, lost almost 1 mil ppd in a few minutes. I did a little bit of work with Process Lasso, locking every process on 28 threads and locking the processes that had to do with core 22 to the other 4 threads and gained 200k ppd back.

10% on my little farm could be close to 2 million ppd bonus, that's a lot. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll have some time off from work...
The oldest hardware I have is an Athlon 64 x2, my first self bought CPU. I never used it for folding though, that started with an i7 920.

·
Folding Fanatic
1,484 Posts
You could test it by finishing the unit your CPU is working on, you should see the GPU TPF go down by a few seconds.
I gave it another try last night, started folding on 24 threads on the 3950x and 2 threads on the 7700k, lost almost 1 mil ppd in a few minutes. I did a little bit of work with Process Lasso, locking every process on 28 threads and locking the processes that had to do with core 22 to the other 4 threads and gained 200k ppd back.

10% on my little farm could be close to 2 million ppd bonus, that's a lot. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll have some time off from work...
The oldest hardware I have is an Athlon 64 x2, my first self bought CPU. I never used it for folding though, that started with an i7 920.
I tried finishing on my cpu paired with my rx580 at work which I can closely monitor during the week, no discernable difference in TPF aside from the typical fluctuations. Perhaps I have to try with an nvidia card? 10% is more than enough to be worth exploring most certainly!

Thanks for making me feel old :geek: I'm actually scraping together a phenom ii/ddr 2 machine for my man cave htpc, so it seems I'm moving backwards haha.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Dang, you just never stopped man! Nice!

·
Folding Fanatic
1,484 Posts
Dang, you just never stopped man! Nice!
You're the one who got me serious about it man, I'm pretty sure you recruited me for TC way back when.

• Rep+
Reactions: BWG

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Wasn't it a GTX 460?

·
Folding Fanatic
1,484 Posts
Wasn't it a GTX 460?
It absolutely was. I folded on that card for every bit of 4 years before I sold it still working.

·
Rig Advisor
3,220 Posts
3161 - 3172 of 3172 Posts