Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
app_info.xml 1k .xml file
-i originally had all the text in this thread, now i'll link to a txt file so you can get it there. attached above is a pic of it running on my beast.
This helps those running ***ATI GPU'S ONLY***

process.txt 2k .txt file

Create it inside Notepad (no other editor - use Notepad), and save file as a txt format file called app_info.xml, into the Moo Project Directory. Dont forget to run down the cache before using it else you will trash existing WUs. BAM must be closed down and restarted for the app_info to take effect.

A count of one means one per GPU. If it was put as 0.5, it would be 2 per GPU .... and so on, so for example(s)

count > 1 < /count

Count of ...

1 is 1 per GPU
0.5 is two per GPU
0.33 is three per GPU
0.25 is 4 per GPU.

Do the Maths you'll get the idea

(Dont run more than two Moo WU per GPU, utterly pointless, just creates other issues for zero purpose, and usually one per GPU in a multi GPU setup solves the fragmentation / utilization problem.)

Watch the heat carefully when first starting this, expect to have to downclock GPU's by about 30 on previous setting to keep heat under control - more work flying around, hence the need to reduce GPU speed slightly to compensate - be careful ... you will overheat if you dont watch this the first time you use the app_info.

edit:: I just attached a ready made app_info.xml file ready to be placed in your moowrapper projects folder.
smile.gif

Credit given to Zydor from the MooWrapper team for helping me with this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as of 30mins ago, they are running on 2 of my rigs. i max out at 99% on all the gpus now, before they were hopping like a bunny rabbit on crack. So imagine my ppd will definitely increase.

·
Premium Member
18,294 Posts
trying it now each gpu is using 99% not some on times without it i get 7-11mins tops on my 5970+5870 the old way will post when i got times on this.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
This makes me wonder if other projects can do this and if they benefit (if they even support it). Things like PrimeGrid on CUDA I'm sure would not, as they are already very intensive. Maybe Collatz or Milkyway?

·
Premium Member
18,294 Posts
well i got my 3 first units finished they took around 25mins thats going to be 2-5mins faster on avg then the old way.

N6lkN.png

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post

well i got my 3 first units finished they took around 25mins thats going to be 2-5mins faster on avg then the old way.
N6lkN.png
Were you using one separate task per GPU, 3 tasks on one GPU, or 3 tasks on the xfire set?

·
Premium Member
18,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybutcher View Post

Were you using one separate task per GPU, 3 tasks on one GPU, or 3 tasks on the xfire set?
3 gpus working on 1 unit takes me 7-11mins tops and using darks config i get 3 done in 25mins. ALot of extra vrm heat tho having each card do its own unit.

·
Premium Member
18,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyder View Post

sharing a workunit doesnt put a full load on each card as the data floats back and forth to each card, the gpus are hesitating.
yea its 2-5mins faster it seems giving each card its own unit pretty good increase in heat tho on my vrms not the cores wished my 5970 block had better vrm cooling for gpu2.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Now do you mean to finish all tasks before trying this or else all the pending tasks will be null and void? I'm considering giving this a try on my single 5850 to see if my times increase since my XFX is in RMA limbo...

·
Premium Member
18,294 Posts
probly wont help you on a single card it helps on muitple cards so each one can do its own unit and not share a unit between all them. Like my 5970 and 5870 in crossfire the gpu usage will go up and down waiting on the other cards to catch up.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post

probly wont help you on a single card it helps on muitple cards so each one can do its own unit and not share a unit between all them. Like my 5970 and 5870 in crossfire the gpu usage will go up and down waiting on the other cards to catch up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyder View Post

it wont change anything on a single card. just muti-card configurations.
Ah now I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll have to wait for XFX to give me back my card to try this out.

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyone have luck with this? i have used it successfully so far on 3 systems. one that i used this on has a single gpu but would never load up to 100%. it would hover around the 60-80% range at all times. I have it set to do 2 workunits on a single gpu now and it loads to 100% all the time now. so i gained 20-40% avg in performance that way. we'll see how my points looks for the next few days.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts