Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I currently have Asus GTX 470 with Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 aftermarket cooler. My v.core temps usualy never go above 55-56 while gaming but i wonder what are my VRM temps and if i should try to OC my card with modified bios for more voltage.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
+1 thought it doesnt answer the title,you can see pcb temp,ambient temp and gpu temps through afterburner,but not vrm's specifically.
add some ramsinks wherever there is space.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5;14176761
You can up the volts with MSI Afterburner beta
smile.gif
I think he probably means beyond what something like AB will offer.

OP, you would need to directly connect a sensor to the card I believe to get the VRM temps.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I would say if you do not know how to find the VRM temps than you probably shouldn't be flashing the bios and taking the voltages way past the intended values.

That's a really fast way to destroy your card.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okeya... Any idea where / how can i get such sensor to see my VRM temps ? Is this sensor hard to attach to my GPU? I've got some aluminium heatsinks on the VRMs but as i've read on forums those don't really do much work cooling the VRMs. For now i pretty rarely OC my GPU but in future it probably will be needed for some games.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
i sold such a thing on ebay a couple of weeks ago,a coolermaster musketeer i think it was called,basically a fan controller with a temp strip in a wire and some VU's for you to monitor the temps..

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Or you could just use the sensor tab in GPU-Z and look at the temp for "GPU2" which is the VRM.

GPU1 = GPU Core
GPU2 = VRM
PCB = PCB
tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sure the VRM temps are that low and are lower than my core temp ?
tongue.gif
If so then i can go for over than 1.12 voltage. And as i've heard the GTX 470/480 VRM temps go for about 100-120*C usualy.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Yeah I'd worry if they went past 110c, they're definitely fine up to 100c though.

And check the temps under load
smile.gif

The stock fermi coolers actually do a pretty good job of cooling the VRM and memory due to that huge huge plate thing that covers pretty much the entire front of the card.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i've heard from the company whom i've bough and who modified my GPU cooler and they've said that the VRMs at 150*C explode instantly
biggrin.gif
And they've warned me that VRM temps are usualy high and told me to watch out for em not to explode
smile.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r;14177082
Yeah I'd worry if they went past 110c, they're definitely fine up to 100c though.

And check the temps under load
smile.gif

The stock fermi coolers actually do a pretty good job of cooling the VRM and memory due to that huge huge plate thing that covers pretty much the entire front of the card.
The pic was taken while card was stressed with Furmark. So that's higher load / temp than any game can get
tongue.gif
While OCed on 1.05voltage it goes up to 65-66*C in furmark and up to 60 in games.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Pretty sure the gtx470/480 does not have VRM temps sensors enabled. They were laser cut according to w1zzard.

·
Registered
MSI
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r;14176973
Or you could just use the sensor tab in GPU-Z and look at the temp for "GPU2" which is the VRM.

GPU1 = GPU Core
GPU2 = VRM
PCB = PCB
tongue.gif
Thanks for your information, Cyph3r
smile.gif
now I know my VRM's temp.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick;14177857
Pretty sure the gtx470/480 does not have VRM temps sensors enabled. They were laser cut according to w1zzard.
Unwinder @ Evga forum says the vrms need an external sensor to provide temp monitoring on the 480:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=408298&mpage=1

I presume its the same as the 570/580 as well despite some software reporting vrm temps on these cards. The value I believe is erroneous or probably not a reading of the actual vrm temps

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Yeah the post is old but...

Euhm... So you say GPU1 temp is your core temp of GPU1
And PCB is the PCB temp
And that GPU2 temp is yor VRM temps?

What about PCB2 temp? Whats that?

And tbh I thought it was my second card
tongue.gif
I figured GPU1 is my GPU1 temp, PCB1 is the PCB1 temp
And GPU2 is my second card's temp with it's second PCB temp...

Hmmm now I'm confused
tongue.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts