Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a AiO Alphacool Eisbaer and I read that Alphacool specified the pump to be run with 7v and 12v.
Because the pump is significantly quieter when it's @7v, I'm wondering how I could do that.
I have a X99 Taichi and I'm using the onboard pin header to control the speed of my fans.
If I want to use the pump @7v, what do I have to do? Obviously, to use it @12v I have to set the pump to full speed under the fan tuning tab, but I can't choose between certain volt values there.
If I want it to be 7v, do I have to calculate the % speed by myself?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
911 Posts
Can you set the duty load of the fan header the pump is plugged in to? Setting the duty load to a speed that acheves the cooling you want and the noise level you can tolerate. You should be able to meet you goals. When you lower the duty load on a dc pump. You are turning down the volts. Hope this helps you out. You should be able to set a pwm fan header to dc mode in the bios/uefi.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Yes, you need to calculate the pump speed yourself.

7V is 58.33% of 12V.

Set the pump speed to 58% or 59% to get the performance and noise level of 7V.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes, you need to calculate the pump speed yourself.

7V is 58.33% of 12V.

Set the pump speed to 58% or 59% to get the performance and noise level of 7V.
That would be fine but pumps never run with a linear relationship between pump speed and voltage or power fed to them. They often have a minimum voltage that is quite high where the pump will either not start or stop running. 6V or even higher is not unusual. It can also be the case that the last couple of volts between 10 and 12 covers a fair chunk of the usable speed range.

So, in a similar fashion he could find the min and max voltage to speed figures and use a percentage of that but It could still be off somehow.

Edit: Nevermind. My mistake, I misunderstood your post. You were suggesting using the available speed range already.

I think the OP may be confusing min pump voltage with a recommendation though. Any way you can lower the pump speed should be perfectly fine to use at any value that keeps the pump spinning reliably.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a 12v to 7v adapter for 2€ to be sure.
And it's a lot quieter, but when I checked the pump speed it's running @900rpm right now... 12v was 2500rpm or something like this iirc...
So something is not working like intended when it's now @900rpm.

My real problem with the pump voltage is, that I read that the BeQuiet silent loop which I had before should be permanently @12v, if it's lower than that it could damage the pump (that's what I read).
The Alphacool Eisbaer is specified from everything between 7v and 12v, I'm just worried that I damage my pump when running it with too low speed.
I expected the pump to be somewhere ~1500rpm.

What can I do now?
Is the cable I got faulty?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Have you tried setting the duty load of the pump/fan header in the bios? Start with 80% duty cycle, step it up or down 5% until you get the results you desire. You will not damage a DC pump by lowering the voltage. Lowering voltage is how DC motor have been regulated for ever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried setting the duty load of the pump/fan header in the bios? Start with 80% duty cycle, step it up or down 5% until you get the results you desire. You will not damage a DC pump by lowering the voltage. Lowering voltage is how DC motor have been regulated for ever.
I'll try that out.
And do you know if the silent loop also has a DC motor?

Also what about my adapter issue? It's supposted to cap the voltage to 7v, I set the pump to full speed with the adapter and only reach 900 rpm which is not 7v

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'll try that out.
And do you know if the silent loop also has a DC motor?

Also what about my adapter issue? It's supposted to cap the voltage to 7v, I set the pump to full speed with the adapter and only reach 900 rpm which is not 7v
I do not know of any pc pumps or fans that are AC. If you set the duty cycle in the bios you will not need the 7v adapter. Make sure you set the fan header th DC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts