Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another one of my guides. This is on “how to create a 2 computer networkâ€.

To start with, you’ll need to have an empty ethernet port on each computer. You will also need a Cat5 Crossover Cable which is used to connect 2 computers. Any other cable won’t work (you can all so use this cable in networks with 3 or more computers).

Now connect the 2 computers you want to connect with the cable. Then make sure all your drivers are installed for your network card or any other hardware.

To start with, go to the Windows Control Panel. Then open the network connections icon.
Once that opens up, Right click or double click the Network icon for your Network Card which looks like 2 computers with blue screens (if you see a cross in the icon then the cable is disconnected and needs to be connected). Then select “Propertiesâ€. That will open up the Properties Windows for that component. Once the properties window is open, select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)†and click properties once that is highlighted (which is just below that box)

Refer to screen 1 and screen 2 for the above

Once the properties window is open for “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)†select “Use The Following IP Address†to manually type in an IP. In my case I have used 192.168.0.1 for 1 computer. For the second all you need to do is change the last digit. So I used 192.168.0.2 for the second computer. Use the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (for both computers) as it comes up automatically when you click inside the subnet mask box. For the “Preferred DNS Serverâ€. Either type in the opposite computers IP or type the IP of the computer you want to have as the server. (Look at the post underneath this one for more info on that.

Refer to screen 3 and screen 4

Then to finish up. Click “Advanced†underneath the Preferred DNS server box. You will then see another window pop up. In the new window click the DNS tab along the top. The DNS server address is already there because you typed it in earlier. But in the “Append these DNS suffixes†box, click add and type the name of the server computer. You can find out what the name is by going onto the server computer and right clicking my computer (on the desktop) and clicking properties. Then click the Computer Name tab on top of the screen. In there you can view or change the name of your computer.
Then go back to the other computer and type the name in, and then click add.

Refer to Screen 5.

Don’t forget to view the post underneath for more info on the IP Addresses.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Goodjob on the guide. But, Doesnt windows XP have a Home Network Wizzard where you just hook up the cable, run the wizard on both computer and done?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wizard only configures the hardware and is not nescesary. With the IP's and everytihng else, it's all manual, you dont nheed to run the wizard, and if you do run the wizard without doing anything else, your network will not work as. Yuo need to give atleast 1 comp and IP adress so the other can search it and retain The DNS Server address and then give itslef a related address.

The qizard setsup the name of your nwetwork and thats about all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts