Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering on how to setup my case cooling. I currently have closed loops for my CPU (240) and GPU (120), and want some advice on how to position them. I prefer the rads to be fed by a cold feed - but maybe this isn't as important as i think. My first instinct was to have the intakes from the top and back (240 and 120 respectively), with front and side exhaust. Then i thought about the below solution:

I'm not even sure if i can mount the 120 rad at the front like that, as i haven't received it yet. Discuss...

Cheers

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... but that would only leave me with one 120m exhaust and the PSU exhaust... is that OK? I could also mount a bottom fan, or what do you think about bottom-side intake top-side exhaust?

·
Premium Member
27,408 Posts
Try the sides as intakes and remove all unused PCI slot covers so they function as an exhaust vent.
wink.gif

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha216 View Post

Thanks for the reply... but that would only leave me with one 120m exhaust and the PSU exhaust... is that OK? I could also mount a bottom fan, or what do you think about bottom-side intake top-side exhaust?
Flip the PSU to intake from the bottom, much healthier for the PSU
But anyway, use side fans as intake
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, will play around with these ideas. As long as everyone agrees that rad should be cold feed facing and top-back to front bottom airflow is not the way to go
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
27,408 Posts
PSU pulling air from inside of case versus from under case doesn't make much difference... maybe 3-5c warmer so PSU fan speed up a little more.

Back to front airflow is not a bad concept but getting a good cool air supply to the back of computer without the heated air coming out the front mixing into it can be problematic.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
While I use custom loops it should not be any different....

I haveffound that having the top radiator as exhaust, and the rear fan as intake, with all other fans as intake (including thebottom rRad, whichf or you would be the front?) gives me the best temps.
Positive pressure can only help when it comes to getting air through radiators, and while in theory both setups (your proposed, and the setup I use/suggest) blow air across the motherboard VRMs, I found that the rear fan mount cools them quite a bit better.
Also, the rear intake would work to provide cool air across the back of your GPU, especially beneficial if you have backside mounted VRAM chips but even if not it still helps keep the PCB cool.
There's little to no risk of recirculating the hot air that's been exhausted with this setup, too.

That's my experience, anyway.

Oh, and I would definitely flip the PSU so that the fan is on the bottom, drawing cool air from outside the case and exhausting outside the case, keeping it completely isolated from the airflow inside the case and benefitting everything as a result.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

Thanks guys for your input. I decided to go with this configuration:

I am very happy so far with the results... CPU and GPU idle @ around 20C

·
Premium Member
27,408 Posts
Good idle temps.
thumb.gif

What are your load temps?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't really tested yet... haven't had the time. I remember checking my GPU temp directly after gaming, and it was @ 40C.
Not even started thinking about overclocking yet - will have to dedicate a day for it soon. I'll update you when i do
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
27,408 Posts
If you use HWM it will give you the high and low of both temps and load. Makes it easy to check after gaming, etc. what the temps reached.
thumb.gif

Will be interesting to see how it all works out with OCing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

If you use HWM it will give you the high and low of both temps and load. Makes it easy to check after gaming, etc. what the temps reached.
thumb.gif

Will be interesting to see how it all works out with OCing.
What is HWM??? i usually use Everest to monitor the temps in the background.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha216 View Post

UPDATE

Thanks guys for your input. I decided to go with this configuration:

I am very happy so far with the results... CPU and GPU idle @ around 20C
This is almost exactly what I was going to suggest you change it to, except I think the top rear 120 should be an exhaust.

·
Premium Member
27,408 Posts
HWMonitor.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I'm actually using Open Hardware Monitor and like it. Looks the same as HWM. Not sure if there is any difference except OHM has graph and I don't think HWM does... at least it didn't the last time I used it. Graph allows you to look back up to 24 hours at what temps, cpu & gpu load, hdd, etc. were.
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

• Rep+
Reactions: haha216

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOD35 View Post

This is almost exactly what I was going to suggest you change it to, except I think the top rear 120 should be an exhaust.
Yeah, this was my plan, but i thought cold air being blown onto the CPU rad would be better than drawing warmer air from inside the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

HWMonitor.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I'm actually using Open Hardware Monitor and like it. Looks the same as HWM. Not sure if there is any difference except OHM has graph and I don't think HWM does... at least it didn't the last time I used it. Graph allows you to look back up to 24 hours at what temps, cpu & gpu load, hdd, etc. were.
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Looks like a nice app... i'll check it out when i get down to the nitty gritty
thumb.gif

·
Registered
196 Posts
Seems you're getting the results you want but it doesn't make much sense to me to have the top rear as an intake to be honest.

Here's what I would do.

Front, both intakes
Side, intake
Keep PSU flipped with fan on bottom, no need to get the psu involved with pulling hot air out of the case, let the psu just control it's own heat since you have more than enough fan options.
Top, both exhaust or just one exhaust should be sufficient
Rear top, definitely exhaust.

Also, more air is not always better...Try playing with your mobo PWM options if you have any...

I have been tweaking my setup and realized that I gain no benefit from having the fans on full 1200rpm vs 900rpm...

I would def try this...

1) top use only one exhaust
2) rear top exhaust
3) different fan speeds
4) try mounting the rad on top?

You def want to keep the front for air intake

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi93 View Post

Seems you're getting the results you want but it doesn't make much sense to me to have the top rear as an intake to be honest.

Here's what I would do.

Front, both intakes
Side, intake
Keep PSU flipped with fan on bottom, no need to get the psu involved with pulling hot air out of the case, let the psu just control it's own heat since you have more than enough fan options.
Top, both exhaust or just one exhaust should be sufficient
Rear top, definitely exhaust.

Also, more air is not always better...Try playing with your mobo PWM options if you have any...

I have been tweaking my setup and realized that I gain no benefit from having the fans on full 1200rpm vs 900rpm...

I would def try this...

1) top use only one exhaust
2) rear top exhaust
3) different fan speeds
4) try mounting the rad on top?

You def want to keep the front for air intake
pepi

1) i don't understand "top use only one exhaust" - do you mean one as intake and 1 as exhaust? You know i have my rad mounted there?
2) I can easily try this
3) My fans are all controlled and running at 900rpm (didn't see the need to increase the speeds)
4) My rad is mounted at the top...??

·
Registered
196 Posts
sorry, I wrote that and then checked that you had a rad there. so ignore the 1 exhaust on the top....that would be a suggestion for air only cooling

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi93 View Post

sorry, I wrote that and then checked that you had a rad there. so ignore the 1 exhaust on the top....that would be a suggestion for air only cooling
No. Air only cooling is better with intake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts