Overclock.net banner

How to share dialup?

954 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  jpz
Suppose the inevitable happens and cable is lost but the phone still works.

Roomie and I both use the web, etc a LOT. Problem is, we don't have multiple phone lines in the apartment so if one of us were to use dialup the other would be basically hosed.

So the question is, what's the least painful way to share a dialup connection? This info may help guide you in recommending to me what to do:

Cable modem --> Linksys 10/100 switch --> other computers and wireless router

Also, the idea is to have the mechanism on immediate standby, i.e. I can just change a few things and bam, it's up and running.

So. Suggestions?
See less See more
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Ics
Set up internet connection sharing on the PC with the 56k modem, then plug it into the WAN port on the router.

Keep in mind that two users on one 56k connection will be amazingly bad.
I "think" there should be a way to have one computer have the dial-up connection and then bridge the connections some how using your computer as a router of sorts and have that ethernet cable go to a router or switch then to his machine. I'm not sure this would work as described tho.
Just bridge the connections ? or am i missing something ?
You need one computer to host the connection then set it to share. It will then share through the modem.
I did it with aol and this box (the other computer ran aol, and had xp)
I did it with an ethernet switch too. (You have to configure the network though)
I have done this before, it is a major pain in the ass and slower than a Dell from Hell, but it works (unreliably, drops a lot). That is mostly because it was AOL I was trying to share.
So we had a computer with the 56k in it, running windows XP. it would go that you set up Internet Connection sharing on the LAN that connects to the router, and set it to share the dial up connection. connect the 56k connection and see if it is accessible from other machines
Say what you want, but I had no idea 56k was still even offered. The last company I knew that still had it was Earthlink, but they do DSL now. I feel old.
Easier solution here. I am too lazy to type it all out so here is a link.
http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

Just make sure you check the box in the "Connection Sharing" pc to allow other pc to control the connection so that it can dial-up on demand if the connection is needed. Only thing is the "host" computer must remain on at all times that the second networked PC is using the dial-up.

Edit: IMPORTANT! If you are comfortable editing your registry, you can double the speed of your dial-up by tweaking the settings. I have done this many years ago and was getting connections to my ISP at around 92k. AOL doesnt like it though, and some others may not like it either. You could possibly lose your dial-up account, but if you are willing to try it and get some better speeds, then here is the page http://www.tweakxp.com/article37123.aspx
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Can this be done with a spare computer running a Linux variant or FreeBSD connected to 56k modem in place of the cable modem? i.e.

computer with dialup modem --> 10/100 switch --> other computers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum Reality
View Post

Can this be done with a spare computer running a Linux variant or FreeBSD connected to 56k modem in place of the cable modem? i.e.

sure thing. As long as Free BSD has some sort of connection "sharing" or "Bridging" it can be done.
See less See more
yes you can share a Dile Up connection, how ever it would be really slow with 2 people using it, its bad enough with a single user, if you want to share internet connection it's best to get broadband, even low end plans (always get capped plans) are affordable, or as cheap as dile up is, unless due to your location you are forced to use dile up, and the speeds will be allot better, even shaped broadband is faster then dile up speeds, 64k VS 56k
Quote:

View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by StretchNuts
View Post

sure thing. As long as Free BSD has some sort of connection "sharing" or "Bridging" it can be done.

As long as you have two NICs, linux will allow you to do just about anything imaginable that involves networking. If you search for linux/freeBSD routing, you will find the information you are looking for. It can be done very simply using iptables. I imagine you will also want to run a dhcp server and forward dns requests.

The problem in your situation, however, is that you want to use dial-up. I have never used linux with dial-up or known anyone who has, but I remember reading somewhere that modem support for linux is very poor and ISPs won't help you in any way if you do use linux. I would bet that getting the dial-up connection established will be more difficult than configuring your computer for NAT routing.

The easiest solution would be Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) under windows as other people have stated. I have used ICS under XP and Vista. Reliability is not terrible, but there is much room for improvement. Linux, IMHO, is a far more reliable solution but the setup takes a little effort. Again, establishing a dial-up connection under linux may prove to be a significant challenge.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Mmmkay.

Keep in mind, folks, this is an in-case-of-emergency-break-glass situation, not a permanent thing.

I'd prolly have to use Linux or somesuch as I'd need to be able to allocate DHCP IPs to the machines connected to the 10/100 switch. Or does ICS install a DHCP server into XP?
See less See more
In case of emergency, steal your neighbors wiFi signal or use your 3G connection on a smart phone to tether. Even 2G owns dialup.
Quote:

View Post

I'd prolly have to use Linux or somesuch as I'd need to be able to allocate DHCP IPs to the machines connected to the 10/100 switch. Or does ICS install a DHCP server into XP?

When you enable ICS under windows, your computer will act as a DHCP server for all the networks/NICs you tell windows to share your connection with. NAT and DNS forwarding will also be enabled transparently.

Be sure to enable ICS on the NIC that you are using to connect to the internet with(i.e. the dial up connection) and not the NIC you are using to connect to other computers via the switch.
See less See more
  • Rep+
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.