Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article will involve flashing your video card's BIOS to that of the Radeon 9800XT which will void any warranties which you may currently have on your card. I do not take no responsibility if you kill your video card.

Let The Action Begin

Before we flash our 9800's we need to prepare ourselves with what we will need to flash the BIOS. Below is a list/link to everything you will need:
  • An ATI Radeon 9800NP or Pro capable of 412MHz core clock and 365MHz (730MHz DDR) memory clock
  • Flashrom v2.40 (Can be downloaded here )
  • A copy of the ATi Radeon 9800XT BIOS (Can be downloaded here or here)
  • A bootable floppy disk (Can be downloaded here )
  • The desire to have a 9800XT for a fraction of the cost
Now that we know exactly what we need lets begin to flash this bad boy, shall we? Ok, you will begin by creating your bootable floppy disk and placing the extracted flashrom files (DOS4GW.exe, FLASHROM.exe, FLASHROM.rom). Once you have moved these files over to the disk you can place the BIOS file (The one you downloaded) on the disk and prepare to flash. Once you restart your PC with the floppy disk in the drive you should see "Caldera Dr.Dos 2.xx" on your screen. Once everything is loaded you are ready to flash. Before you flash however, I recommend backing up your current BIOS by typing " flashrom -s 0 original.bin" at the A:\\ prompt. Your BIOS is now saved to the floppy disk and you can use this in case of a bad flash.

Now you are finally ready to flash. After the BIOS has been saved to your floppy type "flashrom -p 0 9800XT.bin". Flashrom should begin to flash your BIOS and you should see a final message saying "6xxxx of 6xxxx bytes verified". Once you see this message your 9800 is successfully flashed with the Radeon 9800XT BIOS. Now restart your system and continue to install the drivers of your choice. A word of caution, after flashing your monitor may flicker off while loading windows. This is normal and your monitor should return in the on mode within a few seconds. Also when you are installing your video drivers the same thing will take place. Do not worry people, this is normal.

If you have followed these steps you should now have a fully functional Radeon 9800XT.

If you have problems using the method above try the method below which I have tryed and tested sucessfuly

First of all take flashrom & the bios you will be flashing and put them into "C:\\flashrom"

Make sure you have the bootdisk read, boot into dos, once in dos itll say "A:"

type "C: <press enter>"

then type "cd flashrom <press enter>" that will take you into "c:\\flashrom"

once in there backup your bios by typing "flashrom -s 0 ORIG.BIN <press enter>" that will make a copy of your original bios and it'll put it into "C:\\flashrom" as "ORIG.BIN".

after you've done that load the XT bios by typing

"flashrom -s p 9800XT.BIN <press enter> "
after you've done that it should tell you that its done and restart.

-Lucid

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Thanks for posting this! For everyone here, I did the softmod yesterday. Pretty easy. Just one suggestion: after downloading the new bios file, rename it something shorter like 9800XT.bin .

Here are my results w/ the card clocked to 450/366mhz, and ATI's CAT 4.1 drivers. My system was not at all maxed out, just overclocked to what I run it at on a daily basis.

9800 Pro before soft-mod:
3DMark01SE: 18807
3DMark03: 6504

After soft-mod:
3DMark01SE: 18566
3DMark03: 6895

So, for some reason I lost points in 01SE, but gained alot in 03.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Death,
Since i have the same card as you do, and since you already did yours. Which BIOS did you download for the 9800XT? I can't find one that is 128 9800XT. Only 9800XT 256MB.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Death,

have a problem here.
I downloaded all the files, including the BB BIOS that you posted previously for me.

Rename the BB BIOS to ATI.BIN
copy all files to A drive
re-start computer, go to DOS

go to A:
run:
flashrom -s 0 ORIG.BIN
flashrom -s p ati.bin

result:
Format : flashrom -s <adapter num> <filename> [kbytes]

????? did I do anything wrong? nothing happen.

GuardainX

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
If booting to DOS from a floppy, use "flashrom -p 0 name.of.the.bios.bin". And remember, capitalization DOES MATTER.

The second paragraph of steps is for if you're flashing from a file in a folder on your HDD, but you're using a floppy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 256 mb pro do i still use the 128 mb bios sry new to the whole mod thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuardianX
Hi Death,
Since i have the same card as you do, and since you already did yours. Which BIOS did you download for the 9800XT? I can't find one that is 128 9800XT. Only 9800XT 256MB.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey Death,

Thanks again. I totally forgot to come back and tell you that it works. LOL. With my CPU P4 800 Front BUS overclock up to 3.3Ghz and radeon pro 128 converted to xp and overclock with ATI-TOOLS speed hmmm forgot ... am using laptop right now LOL. BUT ... running those two heating up my case like hell. GOT to 105 Fahrenheit. One time went over, and computer restarted by itself. The CPU temp was 45 all the time. But when I remove the case cover, the heating sinks down. Guess my 5 extra fans cannot keep both the hot stuffs cool. LOL. May be I should get AC for my case. LOL.

Conclude, the score for 3DMarks improves. YEAH. Thanks for the person who gave us the info to convert the graphic, and Death for the support.

GuardianX

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm planning to do this because then i can get a 450$ card for like 250$ right? If i mess up, which normally always happens when I do thing new on the computer for the first time, is there a way that I can go back to the way things were and not be SOL with a POS 250$ videocard?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
After you flash, if your screen goes blank and doesn't come back on or whatever may happen. Then just type in "flashrom -p 0 (name.of.bios).bin". Where the name.of.BIOS is what you backed up your old file as. In the guide it tells you to call it original.bin. Do the back up before flashing!

If you get a warning message when your type in the flashing command when you first flash. Then most likely you typed the name in wrong. So retype it in. The file name is case sensative.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
No, you just have to make sure your card can run at "412MHz core clock and 365MHz memory (730MHz DDR)." So test it and see if it can FIRST. If it cannot, then you need to upgrade your cooling. Or if you want to overclock it even higher than the XT's stock speeds, and your having trouble doing so w/ the stock cooling. If all you want is to run at XT speeds, and your card can do that w/ stock cooling, there's no reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathONator
Nope, use the BIOS for the 256MB card.
I'm considering to buy
SAPPHIRE RAD 9800SE DDR 128M DUAL LITE (OEM) $190 Canadian.

Will this card work for 9800XT 128M?
BTW, I'm still using Win98se OS for a reason.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
There is a softmod for the 9800SE, but it only works for one type of the 9800SE. You have to make sure the memory on the card is in a L-pattern (which means it's a 256-bit card). You can download rivatuner, and they have the option to softmod it. Though I'm not sure if it's a softmod to make it a Pro or XT. I think you can only make it a pro... then again I forget. Search good for more info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't seem to get this to work.

I have an Asus 9800 pro 256MB.

I tried to flash the bios i have read over the instructions about 40 times, and I made sure I had everything that was mentioned in the article. Unfortunately I sitll can not get it to work.

I keep receiving an error, having to do with the name of the .bin saying its not found. I tried this several times and made sure i had it spelled right and had caps where there was caps and so on.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Or did anyone flash the same exact card that I have? Would really appreciate it if someone can help me. thanks

1 - 20 of 271 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.