Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and 5 of my friends want to start a local area network for gaming and file sharing . the distance between our houses are about 2.5 miles . our big problem is that we must use cables or radio frequnces . no other way ?
thanks

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
why dont you run a server and have all the files on there, they can upload to you and you can share it around or do what you like with the files, if there is only 5 of you the bandwidth isnt going to be a big issue I shouldnt think. you can have a password to enter your site and off you go.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
2.5 miles is too far for a local network. Neither wired nor wireless will work at those distances (at least not home wireless).

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Msk2005

we have dial-up modems

um.........this could become a problem but maybe not, anybody done this before? If you all dial up to the internet then you can still do it but it will take time, maybe a lot of time.

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
Dial up connections would really limit you... I don't think you could hardwire a connection that long, and for running a server bandwidth would be really limitted...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think there's really any way to do it.
If you do have the option of going the server route, you can set up a VPN that uses dial up. This is a looooong way to go though for what you want to do. You need 2 servers and at least 3 modems. The cost of this would be better spent on cable or DSL service.
Or you could just set up a regular computer with server software for whatever game you want to play, but with dial up I don't think the upload speed of your modem would be able to handle more than one person, if even that.
As for LAN, the average max distance of Ethernet is only 100 meters.
.4 miles is roughly 720 meters... so you're not even close.
Fiber can span from 2 km to 100 km, but that's just stupid expensive and I only mention it to point out that it's pretty much the only viable long distance hard wired option.
What was your plan anyway? To run Ethernet cable through neighbors yards and down streets? I'm not mocking you; I'm just curious what you had planned on doing.
For the people in the .4 mile distance you could in theory use wireless if and only if you had line of site and you either bought those industrial outdoor antennas or you tried the old Pringles can antenna. Actually line-of-site probably isn't super necessary, but it sure would help. With this method one person buys a wireless router and the others just have to get wireless cards. It'd be a really fun project to try if you were motivated.
Good luck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK . we are going to plan a wireless network . but we are near many concrete bulidings and they maybe destroy the signals . we don't know any brand name or what we need to buy . may you referr me a website that includes wireless routers and wireless cards and other mobilizations details ?
thanks for your advices

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wireless antennas use a coax type. On a cb radio people have used 400-1000 watt linear power amps to up them so they can reach along way. you might check with a local cb shop and see and then use one of those directional antennas.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Msk2005

OK . we are going to plan a wireless network . but we are near many concrete bulidings and they maybe destroy the signals . we don't know any brand name or what we need to buy . may you referr me a website that includes wireless routers and wireless cards and other mobilizations details ?
thanks for your advices

To setup a wireless network between you and your freinds with this much distance is pretty much useless, especially with a 56k line.What you guys should do is rent out a server or buy one and get like a $10 a month dsl connection.then you could start talking about a 5 person host.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange

Dial- up can go wireless????......

YEs, only a 56k line on a wireless network is completley useless, as dsl cost the same nowa days.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexd618

To setup a wireless network between you and your freinds with this much distance is pretty much useless, especially with a 56k line.What you guys should do is rent out a server or buy one and get like a $10 a month dsl connection.then you could start talking about a 5 person host.

Yea 56K for gaming is just lag.....update your connection...its WELL WELL worth the $$

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
First off, you DONT need a fast internet connection to setup a LAN. The LAN will run at what ever speed the LAN is rated to run it, not the speed of the internet connection. At 2.5 miles you are out of range of all but fiber optic cable, so wires are out. What I would try to do is get a high power, directional antenna for your WAP and see if you can get the signal to reach.

• Rep+
Reactions: Msk2005

·
Registered
554 Posts
Um, let's not get confused. The wireless network will be anywhere from 11Mbps to 108Mbps. The dial up has nothing to do with the equasion. You can take the 56k modems out of the computers all together once you've installed the wireless cards and still have LAN access. (Of course you lose internet access, but that doesn't matter for the LAN purpose.)
You need a wireless router, wireless cards for each computer, some sort of antenna aray for the router and some sort of antenna array for the cards. I really like gcraw5100's idea of cb equipment... I never thought of that.

As for brand names, I am running all D-Link stuff right now. I know that a lot of people prefer Linksys, but my D-Link setup allows for 108Mbps transfer speeds... that's 8Mbps faster than the average ethernet setup. It also allows for great encryption which you'll want broadcasting over that distance.

Also, I hope you realize that you're friend at 2.5 miles is pretty much not going to be able to connect. That's way to far for any sort of reliable signal unless you set up a microwave dish.. and then that HAS to be line of site, etc and it's expensive as hell, blah blah blah.

Hope that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy

First off, you DONT need a fast internet connection to setup a LAN. The LAN will run at what ever speed the LAN is rated to run it, not the speed of the internet connection. At 2.5 miles you are out of range of all but fiber optic cable, so wires are out. What I would try to do is get a high power, directional antenna for your WAP and see if you can get the signal to reach.

Didn't see this before I posted. Do those directional antennas really have the capacity to reach that far? I know I saw one for sale once that was like 5 feet high and claimed a large distance, but I thought it was less than or equal to around 1 mile. Do you know more about them?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
there are differnt methods of connection over this far a distance that you could use to creat a LAN . one way is to set up a server local and allow all acsess over a VPN to the server thus creating a LAN. anouther if money is no object then u can allow for laser connction . This method can cost up to the £1000's of pounds. if you msg me i can help you set up a VPN. One outher moethod if to set up a wilrelss connetion with repeater station in between but this would cost a lot to.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I really think you dont have a chance unless your loaded with $money$ The way it sounds you dont have the exp to do this

Sorry to be so negative

·
Registered
554 Posts
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

That'll get you started. This guy built his antenna for under $7. Times 4 of your friends, that's pretty darn cheap. He says that for the equivalent power, you'd have to spend upwards of $150. Not too shabby.
I haven't done this (yet) but I'd like to in the near future. If you have success, post it here so we can know if yours works.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I was talking about adding the linear power amp to the directional antenna to boost output. I know some cb radios with a 1000 watt linear and a water cooled antenna will go about 1000 miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts