Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my family computer, my brothers and sisters, are basically filling it with crap, such as advertising based download managers, and more programs alike.

I want to use a separate computer, low power computer, to act as a Proxy, and stop all downloads/ads. Possibly even ask for a password if a download is requested.

I dont mind what OS I need to use, its currently running W7 Ultimate 64bit (I think) I've got the hardware for it to pick up the ethernet (from my router) and for it to retransmit (work as access point)

Could somebody help?
 

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
Joined
·
8,397 Posts
Just install the programs on that computer?
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post

Just install the programs on that computer?
The computer itself has everything it needs, its just from them playing online games and clicking on advertsing programs.

I run AdBlock+ but it just doesnt do enough.

I need to block downloads conpletely
 

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post

Just install the programs on that computer?
I think you're not seeing what he is trying to do.
I see what you're trying to do here pedro, and while I frankly don't know, this is a genius idea. I wish you luck
Sorry if this post was completely and utterly useless.
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAS1000 View Post

I think you're not seeing what he is trying to do.
I see what you're trying to do here pedro, and while I frankly don't know, this is a genius idea. I wish you luck
Sorry if this post was completely and utterly useless.
BTW, I like your profile pick, rotary powaaaa

And yes, think of it as a more advanced form of Parental Controls
 

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
Joined
·
8,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post

Just install the programs on that computer?
The computer itself has everything it needs, its just from them playing online games and clicking on advertsing programs.

I run AdBlock+ but it just doesnt do enough.

I need to block downloads conpletely
Set up a strict custom firewall on it then.

WFAS is terrible, try something like these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422144,00.asp
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: PedroC1999

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,321 Posts
Why not use Local Group Policy to deny registry changes without Admin credentials?

Set up your flavor of remoting software to remote to the system when needed to approve/deny installations

Unless Im missing something here?
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post

Set up a strict custom firewall on it then.

WFAS is terrible, try something like these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422144,00.asp
Thats more like it, im going to give this a look, but its getting late here, and I wont be able to fully access the computer (The on I need anyway)

ANy other ideas, more like what I suggested?
 

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
I'm thinking (probably wrong) that neither of these fill ALL the criteria, most, not all. Though again, I'm probably wrong.
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But how far can UAC be tightened? As far as come tell blocking downloads AND Ads?

I've considered the .host file, bt it seems to not like this computer, I get no Internet connection
 

·
No longer New to OCN
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
Creating them a standard account, with yours as the only administrator account, should stop them from being able to install anything unless you authorise it

adblock should stop all adverts. What adverts are you still seeing even with adblock?
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My brother and sister view any site with games, it's just infinite amount of ad providers
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top