Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching around google and this forum, I've found something that might help tell the authenticity of the mouse.

Here is the link.

http://watchmono.com/blog-entry-3621.html

If anyone else can contribute further, we can make this post an informative hub for new users to find information when they buy from shady sources.

Recently I've purchased an Intellimouse 3.0. As far as I can tell, it's an X08 but with no 4 digit code at the end. Is this a fake?

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=725496&ppid=1122&image=797532182&images=797532159,797532176,797532179,797532182,797532186&formats=0,0,0,0,0&format=0

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a WMOs and IMEs that are missing digits after the first few like in that picture.

They all have problems with malfunctioning at the max speed, it's really terrible.

As far as I know they are genuine because they were acquired from Microsoft. I believe they were early engineering samples that haven't yet had the firmware update that fixed the malfunctioning.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have bought a "fake" ie3.0 from a chinese website before, comparing to a genuine one, the internals were the same but the plastic shell and rubber grip was clearly of a much lower quality, and the cable was stiffer.

·
Not a Linux Lobbyist
1,210 Posts
Check the device manager, if the mouse appears as "Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer 3.0" it's ok, if not then it's fake.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckorweng View Post

mind elaborating more on the issue with this specific mouse model?

post pics maybe
sadly i've sold away the "fake" ie3.0 so i can't provide any pics. But basically the rubber grips felt smoother and more slippery, and the plastic shell felt and looked more matte compared to the slight gloss texture on the original one.

Also, the box printing was distinctively not as sharp as the original one

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pran View Post

Any legit vendor who still sells the original IME 3.0 for cheap?
Yes. There is at least one ebay seller that I've heard people talking about on esreality/ocn. In some countries/regions the IME3 is still for sale from microsoft I believe Ireland still has them for sale. My strategy for getting cheap WMOs and IMEs is to buy used. Try to find a local PC recycling shop and check them out they'll probably have used but genuine mice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just bought an intellimouse 3.0 at my local shop

Anyone knows its fake or genuine?

Edit:

Photos of the USB if that helps

·
Registered
332 Posts
The issue with these mice, along with all MLT04 mice, is the low PCS. You need to overclock your USB for them to be effective and even then they will still negatively accelerate at a relatively low speed, compared to mice you can get now. If your not a really low sensitivity player though you probably wont notice it too much if at all.

As for if thats fake or not I couldn't tell you..when you say your local shop what do you mean?

In all honestly though I dont really see the motivation in making fake intellmice.....there cant be that many people looking for them for it to be profitable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trriL View Post

Yes. There is at least one ebay seller that I've heard people talking about on esreality/ocn. In some countries/regions the IME3 is still for sale from microsoft I believe Ireland still has them for sale. My strategy for getting cheap WMOs and IMEs is to buy used. Try to find a local PC recycling shop and check them out they'll probably have used but genuine mice.
Could you link me to the shop on ebay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After trying out the mouse by plugging it into my computer, in the control panel it says Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0.

Now although the mouse shell are in chinese characters and the lack of the hologram sticker might already tell that this mouse might not be in the most genuine form, the components INSIDE the mouse tell a different story.

To be honest, judging from the outside the mouse looked fake but now I'm not too sure. Does anyone know any "internal tests" like angle snapping, jitter and whatnot to know if the sensor is legitimate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post

The issue with these mice, along with all MLT04 mice, is the low PCS. You need to overclock your USB for them to be effective and even then they will still negatively accelerate at a relatively low speed, compared to mice you can get now. If your not a really low sensitivity player though you probably wont notice it too much if at all.

As for if thats fake or not I couldn't tell you..when you say your local shop what do you mean?

In all honestly though I dont really see the motivation in making fake intellmice.....there cant be that many people looking for them for it to be profitable.
by local shop, I meant I didnt get it from ebay or any online store.

they were advertising legit Intellimouse 3.0 from China, so I just gave it a shot

But it was quite expensive compared to ebay, I got it for $40, it came in cheap plastic packaging.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think your mouse is genuine. For some tests...
Move your mouse really quickly left and right, the mouse shouldn't start going up and down randomly.
Draw circles and "W"s in MS paint it should be pretty obvious if something is wrong, but if you aren't sure you could post a picture here.
Lastly there shouldn't be any acceleration, there are a lot of guides to test this but in my experience disabling pointer enhancement, raw input enabled in CS:GO has been enough.
acceleration test guide:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've gotten several WMO and IMEs at Savers, Goodwill, etc. for <$5.
thumb.gif

·
►¿¿¿
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trriL View Post

I think your mouse is genuine. For some tests...
Move your mouse really quickly left and right, the mouse shouldn't start going up and down randomly.
Draw circles and "W"s in MS paint it should be pretty obvious if something is wrong, but if you aren't sure you could post a picture here.
Lastly there shouldn't be any acceleration, there are a lot of guides to test this but in my experience disabling pointer enhancement, raw input enabled in CS:GO has been enough.
acceleration test guide:
I have that monitor, the stand is really horrible, ive wanted to get a 3rd party stand/arm for it for 5 years

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axaion View Post

I have that monitor, the stand is really horrible, ive wanted to get a 3rd party stand/arm for it for 5 years
I think Samsung ViewSonic makes some pretty good products, but their monitor/TV stands make them look like they just got out of the stone age.

Edit: lol
sonic.gif

1 - 20 of 60 Posts