Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
How can i tell if my cpu is bottlenecking my system? I have a 3930k and 2 1080ti, and i think my CPU is having issues handling that, just based on FPS, is there a way to really tell?
Look at CPU usage. Normal scenario is GPU(s) at 100% and CPU somewhere under 100%. If your CPU is at 100% and your GPU(s) are under 100%, your CPU is bottlenecking the system.

·
Just a hack
66 Posts
Another way to tell is to downclock your CPU by 100 or 200 Mhz. Then run your games, and see if the FPS drops.
This may, of course, depend on the games that you play. Check online to see if the games that you play are CPU bound or GPU bound. A CPU bound game will show 100% CPU usage, and slow down with downclocking. A GPU bound game may not slow down if you downclock your CPU, it depends.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just ignore the CPU usage, look at your GPU usage which should be 90-99%'ish. Way below that is a CPU bottleneck.

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
How much system memory do you have ?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I don't trust CPU usage. I can play on the same game map with 64 players and one time run 100% CPU and another time run ~80% CPU. The best way to tell is down clock the CPU and see if you loos any FPS.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
How much system memory do you have ?
32 GB DDR3

What games are you playing and what refresh rate monitor?
Pubg, Overwatch, 144Hz/165Hz

So Like i said i have 2 1080ti in SLi, is it normal for card #2 to have higher load than card #1?

Basically when i look at usage card #1 (main) has like 80% usage, card #2 100% usage, and cpu 80% as well during a time spy benchmark

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
what resolution?

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
So Like i said i have 2 1080ti in SLi, is it normal for card #2 to have higher load than card #1?

Basically when i look at usage card #1 (main) has like 80% usage, card #2 100% usage, and cpu 80% as well during a time spy benchmark
Are both GPUs running at identical clocks the whole time? If the top card can't reach the same speeds because of thermal limitations, it will be clocked lower and thus see higher utilization, becoming the bottleneck for the second card.

Is that CPU utilization CPU overall or the highest utilized core?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
32 GB DDR3

I would down clock the processor by 100-200MHz and see if you lose any FPS. CPU utilization is depending on the program and how many cores it will utilize also hyper thread will show low utilization if the task can not be divided.

Example when I had a single core P4 with hyper thread. A tasks would run 100% utilization with HT off. Then with HT on the same task would run 80% with no performance improvement.

·
Untitled.jpg
934 Posts
32 GB DDR3

I could be wrong but I very much doubt a 3930K would be bottlenecking you at least not to any significant degree. What you're describing sounds like a separate SLI issue.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are running at same speed, same memory, and temps loaded are around 31C both watercooled

Are both GPUs running at identical clocks the whole time? If the top card can't reach the same speeds because of thermal limitations, it will be clocked lower and thus see higher utilization, becoming the bottleneck for the second card.

Is that CPU utilization CPU overall or the highest utilized core?

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
inb4 1080p....

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
do you have access to a 4k screen? I would be curious to see if the bigger resolution putting your gpu's to work more would help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts