Overclock.net banner

How to tell if CPU bottlenecks?

960 views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ObiWanShinob1 
#1 ·
How can i tell if my cpu is bottlenecking my system? I have a 3930k and 2 1080ti, and i think my CPU is having issues handling that, just based on FPS, is there a way to really tell?

#3 ·
Another way to tell is to downclock your CPU by 100 or 200 Mhz. Then run your games, and see if the FPS drops.
This may, of course, depend on the games that you play. Check online to see if the games that you play are CPU bound or GPU bound. A CPU bound game will show 100% CPU usage, and slow down with downclocking. A GPU bound game may not slow down if you downclock your CPU, it depends.

#5 ·
Hi,
How much system memory do you have ?

#9 ·
32 GB DDR3

What games are you playing and what refresh rate monitor?
Pubg, Overwatch, 144Hz/165Hz

So Like i said i have 2 1080ti in SLi, is it normal for card #2 to have higher load than card #1?

Basically when i look at usage card #1 (main) has like 80% usage, card #2 100% usage, and cpu 80% as well during a time spy benchmark

#7 ·
I don't trust CPU usage. I can play on the same game map with 64 players and one time run 100% CPU and another time run ~80% CPU. The best way to tell is down clock the CPU and see if you loos any FPS.

#10 ·
what resolution?

#17 ·
inb4 1080p....

#19 ·
do you have access to a 4k screen? I would be curious to see if the bigger resolution putting your gpu's to work more would help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.