Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm looking for som RAM for my ASUS motherboard with some AMD CPU 512 actually and i can't really figure out what I should get. I can't tell the difference between the AMD sticks and Intel sticks so im kinda stuck. I didn't even know that there was a difference so that really confused me someone please help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeEnIke

Alright I'm looking for som RAM for my ASUS motherboard with some AMD CPU 512 actually and i can't really figure out what I should get. I can't tell the difference between the AMD sticks and Intel sticks so im kinda stuck. I didn't even know that there was a difference so that really confused me someone please help.

There's no difference in memory sticks for AMD and Intels. What CPU are you looking at and are you planning to overclock?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeEnIke

First off, get cpu-z. it's a small free program you can get off the net from http://www.cpuid.com . Run the program, it will identify the specifics of your computer. At which point we will be better able to answer your questions about what kind of ram you need.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Some RAM is not recommended for AMD or Intel! Usually it's RAM thats made for Intel boards and not recommended for AMD boards but it's it's RARE! Make sure it's the correct type, regestered or unregestered, buffered or unbuffered as recommended by the mobo maker. Most works in both but few don't work or work as well. See what the maker recommends if you are concerned.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
congrats man, u probly scared the crap out of him!!^^^^^
alot of just regular memory works in all systems, just certain A64s need registered memory, and unbuffered is probly what hes gunna want. there arent different types of memory for intel or amd, they have the same type, unless u are counting ddr2, which is intels new memory that works only on the newest 900 series chipsets. so dont worry so much man..im not sure what the mobo is rated for, but some nice sticks of 512mb ddr400 will probly be what your looking for

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yeah i looked it up, u need sticks of ddr400 or 500 if u want to overclock. im pretty sure unbuffered will work fine. some corsair valueselect ram should work good...but that just my 2cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts