Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I had 4 7200.11 500GB in RAID 10 in my server. One of them would freeze on reads once in a while (once a week or so). I just replaced all seagate with WD black 640GB. However, before removing the 7200.11, I forgot to note the serial number of the drive that was doing timeouts. So I have four drives on my desk and I dont know which one is bad

Since the problem is very sporadic, I am wondering what's the best way how to test the four drives to identify the bad one and throw it away.

The only way I see for now is to put the drives under stress test for a few days. Would this be too heavy on the drives?

Obviously I want to reuse the good drives and have them to be reliable.

what would you guys suggest?

is there a stress test program that can be set to run this long anyway?

thanks!

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Use EVEREST to read the SMART data off all the drives. The one that has errors and bad sectors will be the one that's dying.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhany View Post
You could try hdtune and use it to read S.M.A.R.T. to see if its picking up any errors on the drives and the program can also do an error check and some benchmarking.
I forgot to say that a little while ago, I ran the Seagate diagnostic on the bad drive and it passed all tests, also is SMART status was ok. That's why I was thinking the only way to find out was to stess test for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Just keep running diagnostics until the bad HDD is singled out.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
I guess its OK then.

My laptop gets unresponsive at times and the HDD just locks up and reads really hard.
A few seconds later it's over.

Guess its a Seagate thing then.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Guess its a Seagate thing then.

It's an early warning sign.

It could go for months or maybe over a year before dying - but eventually it'll go.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
My Seagate shows no signs of dying yet.

I have no bad sectors etc.
Timeout commands there are, and also read errors, but that happens to just about every single laptop I see.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
A common program that repair places, including Geek Squad, will use is something called DFT, or Drive Fitness Test.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

My Seagate shows no signs of dying yet.

I have no bad sectors etc.
Timeout commands there are, and also read errors, but that happens to just about every single laptop I see.

Most laptop drives park their heads when they detect motion.

When a drive gets stalled for seconds when it isn't physically moving, it may have issues.

Every drive gets confused occasionally. But the worst confusion I've seen on my WD Black was about 200ms. I'd be worried if my drive was locking up for many seconds.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
I think my Seagate does have the park feature. Yep, it does record whenever shock is detected.
The command timeout value is: 131159.

If that is in ms, wow.
That's quite long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Run the SeaTools in "Complete(Full) Diagnostic" mode, if it pass the test, you can relax, if it failed, it is RMA time, or time for a new drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts