Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This the most appropriate forum I can think of. My question is, is it possible to run some of my games from different drive locations? I've read a similar article on Valve's support page but Steam has to be located in the same folder as the games are. I'm trying minimize my SSD space and usage and reserve it to most frequently played games. Whereas everything else will be on my HDD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
You can also follow this method. I went the linkshellextension route and use that to move all my steam games I don't want to clog up my SSD or won't really benefit from them. It's as simple as a few right clicks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read about this somwhere as well. To make a long series of questions short, this basically moves the actual files over and leaves behind sort of a "ghost" file that redirects to the location of the actual files right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Yup. After you are done it will look like the photo below. The window on the right is the main steam directory for games and the one on the left is where the actual games are located. Each of the files with an arrow is a symbolic link.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryld Baenre View Post

You can also follow this method. I went the linkshellextension route and use that to move all my steam games I don't want to clog up my SSD or won't really benefit from them. It's as simple as a few right clicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Junction points aka symbolic links.

This will automate it for you: http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
Instant. Bookmarks.

Much appreciated!
biggrin.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryld Baenre View Post

You can also follow this method. I went the linkshellextension route and use that to move all my steam games I don't want to clog up my SSD or won't really benefit from them. It's as simple as a few right clicks.
SteamMover is just a GUI that automates the command.
thumb.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

Just use Steam Mover
smile.gif

It's in my Sig!
I agree

Steam mover is great to move games that are already installed on the system
thumbsupsmiley.png
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Does steam mover work with more files than just those from origin or steam? If not, going about it my way would allow Geneaux to move any files if he ever so desired. If it does, then it's just a matter of preference I suppose.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
I just picked up another SSD to match my current one. Right now all my games are on a secondary WD black hard drive, would using steam mover to transfer them to the new SSD all the games to benifit from the speed of the SSD or is it limited to the speed of the HDD??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtobeking View Post

I just picked up another SSD to match my current one. Right now all my games are on a secondary WD black hard drive, would using steam mover to transfer them to the new SSD all the games to benifit from the speed of the SSD or is it limited to the speed of the HDD??
You would be running the games off of the SSD, thus getting the benefit of the speed, but Steam would still think it's running from the HDD so everything is fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtobeking View Post

I just picked up another SSD to match my current one. Right now all my games are on a secondary WD black hard drive, would using steam mover to transfer them to the new SSD all the games to benifit from the speed of the SSD or is it limited to the speed of the HDD??
They would "benefit from the speed of the SSD"
thumb.gif


Steam Mover thread is linked to in my Sig!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageofthepeon View Post

You would be running the games off of the SSD, thus getting the benefit of the speed, but Steam would still think it's running from the HDD so everything is fine.
Thanks thats what I needed to hear. Congrats on hitting the magical 35 rep and 666 posts at the same time lol

Thanks Achilees, reading through it as you posted here.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top