Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Unfortunately there seems to be no way to unlock it. Friend has this card and tried at least 5 different BIOSes, none helped. All reviews said that GB 7970 is great for overclocking, but they have been made using older revision of the card which is unlocked
frown.gif
. Gigabyte 7970 GHz Edition seems to be a bit better for oc, it has stock voltage of 1.25v.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It can't be true!.. How can i flash a bios? I've found one, that was the same as the HD 7970 used on HardOcp for their review of gigabyte, wrote on february 2012.. maybe it will works..

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ya - its locked at the hardware level - i dont think anyone has been able to unlock it. I returned my GB 7970, and now playing with an Asus Matrix....not too impressed with this $500 either

probably going to back down to an old reference 7970 and just oc it as far as i can go. We're nearing the end of this GPU cycle anyways

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted Gigabyte to ask how to unlock the voltage and they have told me that the Lock is in the BIOS and that i have to flash the Eproom, obviusly breaking the warranty.. That's all.. Then i've asked what i need to flash to the Eproom and they haven't answered yet.. Someone know something? What do i have to flash to the Eproom? Probably another BIOS..

·
Registered
3 Posts
No but could you please keep us updated. I have the same model and it only overclocks to 1070 on the core which is disapointing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruennis View Post

RETURN IT
I bought one a couple months back and tried everything. Bios flash will do NOTHING.
I get 1256mV with the GB GHz bios, bench stable @1200Mhz. Gaming stable clock about 1170Mhz. With the stock bios I cant get it stable over 1070Mhz.

Anyways, returning the card cuz I cant monitor any temps except gpu temp. Ordered an Asus matrix platinum instead
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted1 View Post

I get 1256mV with the GB GHz bios, bench stable @1200Mhz. Gaming stable clock about 1170Mhz. With the stock bios I cant get it stable over 1070Mhz.

Anyways, returning the card cuz I cant monitor any temps except gpu temp. Ordered an Asus matrix platinum instead
biggrin.gif
I, too, flashed mine with the GHz bios and it raised voltage to 1256mV. At that voltage, I was able to reach 1125MHz (100% game stable) but this overclock to me is pathetic when 7950s for cheaper are running higher... much higher. Gigabyte 7950 here at 1280/1800
drool.gif
and I know of a number of 7950 users well over the 1200 mark. In my opinion, a 7970 that cannot do 1200 or greater is pretty much a dud. But hey, to each his/her own
thumb.gif

Got the Matrix and I ain't going back
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

I, too, flashed mine with the GHz bios and it raised voltage to 1256mV. At that voltage, I was able to reach 1125MHz (100% game stable) but this overclock to me is pathetic when 7950s for cheaper are running higher... much higher. Gigabyte 7950 here at 1280/1800
drool.gif
and I know of a number of 7950 users well over the 1200 mark. In my opinion, a 7970 that cannot do 1200 or greater is pretty much a dud. But hey, to each his/her own
thumb.gif

Got the Matrix and I ain't going back
biggrin.gif
The 1,2Ghz bench clock is stable as in looping Heaven/3Dmark stable tho, so quite stable in benching terms. I would without doubt keep the card if i could monitor VRM/VRAM temps like on every other card I've had since like a ATI 9600pro without temp sensors, lol.. The WFx3 cooler is pretty decent and the card was really cheap
smile.gif

I think theres room for more OC if I'd remount the cooler with proper thermal compound, and add more heatsinks. I suspect that the VRM's get really hot on this card. I'm NOT gonna do that tho as I'm returning it.

The 7950's are nice cards, if you settle for second best or are on a budget or something
tongue.gif
At the same clock 7970 are about 10-11% quicker in real world game performance, not a huge difference.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:

The 1,2Ghz bench clock is stable as in looping Heaven/3Dmark stable tho, so quite stable in benching terms. I would without doubt keep the card if i could monitor VRM/VRAM temps like on every other card I've had since like a ATI 9600pro without temp sensors, lol.. The WFx3 cooler is pretty decent and the card was really cheap
smile.gif

I think theres room for more OC if I'd remount the cooler with proper thermal compound, and add more heatsinks. I suspect that the VRM's get really hot on this card. I'm NOT gonna do that tho as I'm returning it.
The 7950's are nice cards, if you settle for second best or are on a budget or something
tongue.gif
At the same clock 7970 are about 10-11% quicker in real world game performance, not a huge difference.
I can push my 7950 to 1340 with watercooling

You can try to force a voltage from your motherboard. Worth a try, I know i can go up to 1.3 mV and i can go 1.35 mV using mobo settings, great for WC

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:

smile.gif

tongue.gif
Try 3-5% at same clocks
thumb.gif

But absolutely, best of the best, right now is the 7970. Go big or go home bro!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

Sorry myTahiti brotha but you are incorrect... This is commonly accepted. 3-5% at same clock
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/34761-amd-hd-7950-vs-hd-7970-clocks/?page=10
Yeah, back in february on the 11.12 RC1 Launch driver, and on a system that's not fast enough to totally eliminate bottlenecks.

There's obviously bug's and problems with the driver(the launch driver was no picknick) as the 7950 having like 14% shader cores is faster in some tests
smile.gif

Perhaps not the best example to draw any conclusions from
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, back in february on the 11.12 RC1 Launch driver, and on a system that's not fast enough to totally eliminate bottlenecks.
There's obviously bug's and problems with the driver(the launch driver was no picknick) as the 7950 having like 14% shader cores is faster in some tests
smile.gif

Perhaps not the best example to draw any conclusions from
smile.gif
Do you think drivers since then have benefited only the 7970? The 7950 is simply a variant of the 7970. It is basically a 7970 with 4 compute units disabled...

How much experience do you have with Tahiti cards? For what it's worth, I've had a Sapphire 7970 OC, Gigabyte 7970, MSI Lightning 7970 and currently own a Gigabyte 7950 and Matrix 7970 Platinum. I'm telling you that at reference clocks, there is about a 15% difference between the 7950 and the 7970. Per clock, the difference is about 5%. In some instances, it will be lower like around 3%.

Here is another review of an XFX 7950 @ stock 900/1375 vs. 7970 @ reference 925/1375. Difference is there but not 10-11%.
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/03/01/xfx_radeon_hd_7950_black_edition_video_card_review/8

Comparison in four games:
(A) Arkham City: 3%
(B) Skyrim: 6%
(C) BF3: 4%
(D) Deus Ex: 14%
Average: 6.75%

Another 25MHz on the core of that 7950 and the average would have been closer to ~5%...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

Do you think drivers since then have benefited only the 7970? The 7950 is simply a variant of the 7970. It is basically a 7970 with 4 compute units disabled...
How much experience do you have with Tahiti cards? For what it's worth, I've had a Sapphire 7970 OC, Gigabyte 7970, MSI Lightning 7970 and currently own a Gigabyte 7950 and Matrix 7970 Platinum. I'm telling you that at reference clocks, there is about a 15% difference between the 7950 and the 7970. Per clock, the difference is about 5%. In some instances, it will be lower like around 3%.
Here is another review of an XFX 7950 @ stock 900/1375 vs. 7970 @ reference 925/1375. Difference is there but not 10-11%.
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/03/01/xfx_radeon_hd_7950_black_edition_video_card_review/8
Comparison in four games:
(A) Arkham City: 3%
(B) Skyrim: 6%
(C) BF3: 4%
(D) Deus Ex: 14%
Average: 6.75%
Another 25MHz on the core of that 7950 and the average would have been closer to ~5%...
There's not even a reference to what driver they were using with the 7970, if they re-tested or just borrowed the stats from the initial test. And they're using diffrent settings, 2xMSAA, no MSAA on the other cards. And their performance graphs is just a mess, diffrent settings, clocks. A mess. This is how you make a graph, all tests done with the same driver( Catalyst 8.921.2.0), 10-15runs per test to get accurate numbers and a good mix of tests so no particular card gets any extra advantage.. So here you have the performance index, all stock clocks, game tests only, no benchmarks.

( excuse the non-english language in the graph )
3220?k=d439f775142ac8b3c94a70395e91171b

And again, the test rigg does not measure up.

The serious tests I've read, done by serious sites. On a decent test rigg( Intel Core i7 3960X @ +4,0 GHz ), with the same drivers for all cards simply land around 10% performance diffrence. That's all I'm saying, If the 7950's where in fact faster, trust me I would have a couple of those instead.

The biggest physical diffrence between Tahiti PRO/XT is the suffix(ie they're exactly the same). Only 4 compute units disabled sounds great, in practice however that means 1792 shaders vs 2048 shaders, about 15% less for the 7950. Under the same circumstances a card with 15% less raw sader compute perf. can not be faster, it defy's all logic and probably some physics too.

I have had a few cards through the years, atm. I only have two 7970's atm. tho, one xfx and the gigabyte. By tomorrow I'll hopefully have a third tho, (matrix :DD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts