Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE ONLY TRIED THIS ON MY XFX 6950 2GB

The very first thing that i did in the quest to unlock the shaders in my 6950 was to go and download the newest version of GPU-Z from here.

The next step is to open GPU-Z. It should look like this (if you opted for the ROG version)
gpuzexample.png

The next step is to save the current BIOS version to disk, to do this simply click on the little chip with an arrow on it.
chipc.png

By doing this you are making a copy of the BIOS that is currently on your card. We will be using this later on so go create a folder on your desktop called winflash (we will be using this later, dont worry).

The next step is to go and download RBE (radeon BIOS editor), you can find it here. You might as well take the opportunity now to download ATIwinflash which can be found here.
When you have them both downloaded, extract atiwinflash to that winflash folder that you made on your desktop, now forget about winflash for a few mins while we do the shader unlock mod to the BIOS that you saved earlier.

To modify the BIOS we will be using RBE. The first step within RBE is to load the BIOS that you saved earlier.
rbe.png

When you have loaded the BIOS that you saved in the winflash folder on your desktop click on the additional features tab.
addo.png

Once you are in the additional features tab you should see an option to change the shader count from 6950 to 6970. You will want to click on the 6970 shader count option. Once you have selected 6970 option, click on the save BIOS option at the bottom
savey.png

You will want to save the file in the winflash folder that you made earlier, name the file something like bios.rom, just to make it easier for yourself later on.

Now you should be ready to flash the new BIOS.

To flash the newly modded BIOS you will need to go into Command Propmt (as an administrator to avoid any problems). When in Command Promt you will need to browse to the winflash folder on your desktop by typing "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash". It should look something like this except with your user name instead of mine.
cmdd.png

The next thing that you will need to type into Command Prompt is this "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0", doing this will unlock the ROM on the first adapter.

The next thing to type is "atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.rom", if all goes well after typing that in then a box should popup that has the word verified some where in it, when you click OK for that prompt it will tell you that you have to restart you computer. When you are back into windows you can check to see if you have successfully unlocked the shaders by opening GPU-Z again, you will know it has unlocked when it says 1536 shaders as opposed to the 1408 you had before!
shaderunlock.png

First tutorial, so go easy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you very much! Will be very helpful for when I get my 2 reference 6950's in a couple of days! Bookmarked for when I do and +rep!

·
Registered
504 Posts
i cant see the difference on those before and after pics you have posted.. it says 1536 unified on the shaders both of them..
frown.gif

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulgence;13594064
i cant see the difference on those before and after pics you have posted.. it says 1536 unified on the shaders both of them..
frown.gif
He probably already had it unlocked from before and was just redoing the steps to show how to do it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Oicks;13595234
He probably already had it unlocked from before and was just redoing the steps to show how to do it.
Yeah sorry about that, forgot to take a screenie before and after

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianh;14600162
Thanks for the tutorial, now what application should I use to overclock it once I have unlocked the shaders and what application should I use to test for stability
smile.gif
msi afterburner to o/c.

3dmark11 and Heaven benchmark loop for stability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just found this guide and it made me wonder if this is safe to do without any BIOS-switch? My guess would be that the cards you guys have are without switches, but I still wanna know if anyone got any errors or anything else using this method?

Are you able to reset the BIOS if something goes wrong?

I have an XFX 6950 2GB card like you, not sure if the same design though. Our cards have the same Release Date but my BIOS has the version 003.010.000.007.039363, a different than yours. Will it still work?

Here's a pic of my GPU-Z right now: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/hd6950.gif/

Here's the card itself, a non english site though, sorry for that: http://www.inet.se/artikel/5409089/x...-hd6950-2048mb

I hope you see this post and thanks for the guide!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by enqase;14853295
Hello, I just found this guide and it made me wonder if this is safe to do without any BIOS-switch? My guess would be that the cards you guys have are without switches, but I still wanna know if anyone got any errors or anything else using this method?

Are you able to reset the BIOS if something goes wrong?

I have an XFX 6950 2GB card like you, not sure if the same design though. Our cards have the same Release Date but my BIOS has the version 003.010.000.007.039363, a different than yours. Will it still work?

Here's a pic of my GPU-Z right now: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/hd6950.gif/

Here's the card itself, a non english site though, sorry for that: http://www.inet.se/artikel/5409089/xfx-radeon-hd6950-2048mb

I hope you see this post and thanks for the guide!
Solved in PM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i have the same bios revision as the guy above me, would you be able to help me with the unlock as well? would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the XFX 6950 2 GB with Bios version 003.010.000.007.039363, my card is exactly like enqase who posted before me. If you can help me, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice tutorial. One suggestion to make it even more N00b friendly. You can use RBE to flash the modified BIOS back onto the card. Way more easier than opening a command prompt with admin privileges, typing a command and praying you didn't make a typo
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Unlocked and loaded! Thanks for the tut!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts