Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or "VGA Terminators."

I have been troubled for some time as to how I was going to get all of these 4 GTS' I recently purchased to work without buying a new monitor or super expensive KVM (Kernal based Virtual Machine) and cables. I came across this:

a VGA dummy plug.

I surprised myself...it actually works.

All thats needed:
15 pin VGA D-sub connector: $.99 @ Radioshack
(3x) 75 ohms resistors: $1.99 (10 pack) @ Frys
Soldering Gun: $10-$20 @ Radioshack (I did not have one already)

Result:

Extend to the new monitor before you engage your second GPU2 client:

A guide can be found here.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Haha! What an ingenious idea for such a perplexing (software-wise) problem!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When folding on multiple cards, you have to extend the desktop (look at the guide) in order for Windows to be able to see the cards. In order for this to occur, the card has to be hooked up to a monitor. We use the dummy plugs to kind of "fake the card out." This solution costs about $6 where the cheapest monitor will probably run you close to $100 and take up a lot more space.

You can't have your card in SLI or Crossfire while folding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put 3 of these on my machine for work. Im in a trading group (markets) and I run a charting server. Everyone logs in via a VNC server to view the charts running on my machine. We wanted to extend the charting option so we needed more monitor space. Went out and got a 4port video card and now run 3 of those screens by VGA dummy. I love this thing.

My question is, is there a way on the host machine to view the other monitors, even if its 1 at a time or am I stuck with the main lcd screen Im on now? I log in via the VNC server myself to view the other screens just want to know if I have other options as well.

This thing is working out great, already talking of adding 2-6 more dummy screens.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I see that there is a ohm rating and a W rating on resistors.
I know to get anything from 50-150 ohm, but what about the W rating?

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Dummy plugs aren't really necessary any more; in most cases, the -forcegpu flag will do instead.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac;13379365
Dummy plugs aren't really necessary any more; in most cases, the -forcegpu flag will do instead.
Yes, that I do know.
However, I need dummy plugs for other programs.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Oh, sorry.
redface.gif

In any case, I do not know the answer.
frown.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts