Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sapphire Vapor X 7950 Boost. I've had it about a month and a half and finally decided to OC the ol girl.

Here is where i'm at right now...

1100/1575
1.250v
61c max temps.

I used heaven and kombustor and haven't had any problems what so ever.. So i am finished or should i push for more? Does my volts and temps sound right for my oc? Also how long do you benchmark for to check for a stable OC?

I used MSI Afterburner to OC btw.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Volts are pretty high for that OC. If thats what it takes to get there, dont go any further than 1.275v as 1.3v+ is accelerated degradation.

Thats a pretty middle of the road OC. Not bad, but not good. Temps are nice though, unless thats with max fan speed?

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing i touched was the core clock and memory clock settings.. Didn't touch core voltage or power limit. I left the fan speed on Auto and i think the highest it got was 41%. Is there a way i can lower my volts and try that?

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i just started using GPU Z and it says my VDDC is 1.2v. I think that is a more accurate reading than what i gave you earlier

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Oh, well without a power limit increase, you are almost certainly having power limit throttling. There is no damage in increasing the power limit, its a necessity for OCing. Put it to +20% and report back. All it does is ALLOW the card to draw X% more power than the "rated" TDP. So if you are running an overclocked card, its power draw will be higher, in which case.. it hits that limit, and has to lower its clockspeeds.

1.2v would be the vdroop voltage [voltage drop under load] which is a small 0.050v drop, so it definitely looks like throttling here.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Voltage is pretty high, if thats the minimum voltage you can get thatll keep it stable your card is probably near its limit.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well a lot of 7950s come with a default voltage of 1.25v, so its really annoying when people say, "Oh my card can do 1200 at stock volts!!!1!!!".

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to increase the overclock and it was stable at this...

1175/1575
1.21v VDDC
55c max

Still didn't incease the core voltage or power limit. Should i still play with it or stop where i'm at?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No, because you're not really overclocking without increasing the power limit. All you're doing is making the card do

instead of
950..................................................................................

Which means a choppy framerate, and its not good for the card to have its voltage fluctuating so much.

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.. My core Voltage is 1125, power limit is +20, core clock is 1175 and memory clock is 1575. Fan speed is on auto.

Temps are still at max 55c and my vddc is steady at 1.20 in gpu z.

But on Kombustor it says my vddc is 1.250.

Am i looking at the wrong thing when reading my voltage?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ah, okay. You're card comes default at 1.25v then. You would have to open the settings, and make sure every box under "Compatibility Settings" is checked. Or at least the 3 voltage ones.

Im not understanding how your card can be doing 55c/40% fan speed {Even @ 100% fan speed, this is an unlikely event} at 1.25v [1.2v vDroop] and 1175 core.

So I have to believe something isnt right.

As for why GPU-Z will say 1.2v and Kombuster says 1.25,

GPU Z is telling you the "actual" voltage, accounting for fluctuations. Its a real reading from the card.
Kombuster is telling you what the card is being 'told' to run at. This should never fluctuate from 1.25v unless you change it to something else, where it should always be that.

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kombustor doesn't change.. GPU Z does. but mainly stays at around 1.20

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm the Afterburner settings do i need to Force Constant Voltage?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well then.. very odd.

I ran the same settings as you [1.25V, 1175 core/ 1575 memory and 1.5v], and get a crash a few seconds in. Comparing GPU-Z amps, you're getting less than 80A, and mine goes from 140-190 amps?? [>155w HWInfo]

However our framerates are the same. My core temp.. not sure, since it crashes. But I ran 1156v for awhile and it was about 67c. This is also confusing, as it would mean your card has a good 20c lead in cooling as well. We both have 7950 Vapor-X, btw.

Not sure what is up with your card, but hey... whatever
tongue.gif
!

Dont really understand it...

Try the GPU burn in test. Mine goes to 220A and crashes within 5s. HWInfo tells me this is an insane 245.5W of power draw! How about yours?!

When I say watts I am using HWInfo VRM1 Power Out. VRM2 is an additional 15w. [memory]

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still doing the GPU Burn In Test and no crashes. My temps have went up to 67c and the vddc current is 139.4a. But no crashes..

Still running 1125 core voltage, +20 power limit, 1175/1575... Fans are at 51% on auto

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well, I really dont know what to say then. Can you post a copy of your BIOS? To the right of the BIOS REVISION part, there is a chip with a green arrow coming off. Click it and save the BIOS.

Then upload.

I would really like to try it and see if the results are BIOS related, or perhaps some sort of software issue, or.... somehow, Sapphire drastically improved the Vapor-X 7950. Is yours 8+6 pin or 8+8 pin power?

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where do i check the bios at? Afterburner? 8+8

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i saved my bios but i tried to open it with Notepad and it's all crazy lol

Yea nevermind what i just said.. I just tried attaching the bios on here and it won't let me cause it doesn't support that type of file

·
Wasteland Plunderer
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts