Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we all know to use compressed air to blast the dust out of small hard to reach places. But, sometimes that does not do the trick. Fans are usually fine without cleaning, but here is a trick that may save you purchasing a new fan because the old one broke. This is especially helpful if you have some sort of long haired creature (dog, cat, yourself, etc.) near your PC. So, for those who don't know, here is an easy way to open up many fans for easy cleaning/modding.

Disclaimer: I have only done this with regular case fans (mine are lian li fans), so proceed with care if you choose to disassemble your expensive fans. See Marin's post below for more info.

Tools needed:
Tweezers
Stout pin (I used a thumb tack)

First step is to get a fan:

Now you need to peel the sticker off the front. Be sure to save the sticker to re-apply.

This is what it will look like without the sticker. You should see a little plastic washer inside the hole. It was hard to get a good pic, but that washer has a small cut through it. This is where it gets tricky. Stick the pin down inside the crack and try and pry it apart.

Get the tweezers and grab the washer. Be careful pulling it out, as it is spring loaded. You may want to put your hand over it, as the washer may fly out across your room never to be seen again (and you NEED the washer). If you loose it, you may be able to find one at a hardware store (or just pull one off of an old fan you don't use).

After the washer is out, you can pull out the bearing and spring.

The blades just pull off after this. Now spray out the inside with compressed air and unwrap anything that got wound around the fan. You can probably add/remove LEDs as well if you wish. Also, if your fan is rattling, I fixed that once by filing down a little burr that had developed on the fan hub.

To re attach, just do the above in reverse order. Remember to put the spring back in before putting the bearing on. If you wish, you may apply a bit of fan oil at this time. It is a little tough to get the washer back on, but I found it best to push the spring/bearing down with the pin while pushing the washer down with the tweezers (again, be careful, as it can fly off if you release it). Now put the sticker back on (to prevent dust from getting in the bearings as easily). If you lost the sticker, tape should work fine.

So there ya go! Enjoy your clean fan! If you see anything missing/wrong, let me know and I will add it.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
To point out, fans use different bearings, motors and ways to hold the blades on. For example, my San Ace and Nidec (Scythe GentleTyphoons) fans use metal clamps instead of washers to hold it together. They're harder to remove and easy to damage.

Also, depending on the fan, some will use springs. Sleeve Bearing fans are easy, just pop the washer off and pull the fan blades off. The bearing is built in and not going anywhere. Some Ball Bearing fans use springs to offset the pressure from the magnet or to make a gap between the bearings, so make sure to not lose the spring and to place it back on right.

Also some fans that use "nanotechnology bearings" have magnets on the back of the fan. You can not remove the magnet from the back or else you will completely destroy the fan. Some brands like Gelid have fans that can be pulled apart to clean but others, like Nanoxia, can't.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hey anyone able to take apart a Scythe S-Flex. I got 2 bad ones and wanted to take them apart, but couldn't find any info for that type of bearing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
To point out, fans use different bearings, motors and ways to hold the blades on. For example, my San Ace and Nidec (Scythe GentleTyphoons) fans use metal clamps instead of washers to hold it together. They're harder to remove and easy to damage.

Also, depending on the fan, some will use springs. Sleeve Bearing fans are easy, just pop the washer off and pull the fan blades off. The bearing is built in and not going anywhere. Some Ball Bearing fans use springs to offset the pressure from the magnet or to make a gap between the bearings, so make sure to not lose the spring and to place it back on right.

Also some fans that use "nanotechnology bearings" have magnets on the back of the fan. You can not remove the magnet from the back or else you will completely destroy the fan. Some brands like Gelid have fans that can be pulled apart to clean but others, like Nanoxia, can't.
Great! Thanks for the info.

@ bleached. What is wrong with your fans? Noise, or just plain not starting up? How old are they?

·
15,777 Posts
+1 REP

This is neato!

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post
Fluid dynamic bearing

It's similar to sleeve I believe
It's not even close to being like a sleeve bearing.

Sleeve:

FDB:

·
Fan Man
1,291 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I just trashed a 130CFM Nidec Beta V fan because I had no idea you can dismantle it without destroying it

+REP to you sir.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
If your fan is a cheap sleeve-type, you can get away without that plastic washer. The magnet in the impeller will be able to keep the impeller in place against it's own thrust. I don't know if a high CFM part would be able to do so, but two of the three cheap 80mm fans on my GPU are held together in this manner. You can actually hot-swap the impellers if you wished!

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by giecsar View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I just trashed a 130CFM Nidec Beta V fan because I had no idea you can dismantle it without destroying it

+REP to you sir.
TA450DC B35502-35?
Or something else?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

. You can actually hot-swap the impellers if you wished!

lol... so swap the impellers while its on? Now THAT i want to see...
vid or it didn't happen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts