Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HP 215 G1 only charges while off & does not charge while on, why?

It will charge to 100% while turned off but as soon as you turn it on the charge light goes from ORANGE to WHITE. Orange means charging & White means discharging.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
HP 215 G1 only charges while off & does not charge while on, why?

It will charge to 100% while turned off but as soon as you turn it on the charge light goes from ORANGE to WHITE. Orange means charging & White means discharging.

Thanks
According to specifications, the genuine charger (PSU) this is
  • Power: 65 W
  • Dc output: 18.5/19.5 V

This is plenty for charging and keep the laptop alive.
Do you own the the genuine charger (PSU)?

• Rep+
Reactions: chris89

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@kiriakos Yes. Is it possible for a virus to infect the BIOS firmware & cause this?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
@kiriakos Yes. Is it possible for a virus to infect the BIOS firmware & cause this?
Just test it with one new undamaged charger, or with an bench top, professional power supply.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@kiriakos I tested with a 65w adapter & a 150w adapter genuine hp (both of which charge my HP ENVY x360 without issue while on or off) & every time I plug it in the orange light comes on for a split second then it goes to the white light (not charging/ full even know it's not full). As soon as it goes to sleep or is turned off, it starts charging (orange light continuous).

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
@kiriakos I tested with a 65w adapter & a 150w adapter genuine hp (both of which charge my HP ENVY x360 without issue while on or off) & every time I plug it in the orange light comes on for a split second then it goes to the white light (not charging/ full even know it's not full). As soon as it goes to sleep or is turned off, it starts charging (orange light continuous).
Electronics repairs this is my daily job, and I do not give away free fish.

Either way, if you are seriously think to find the source of the problem, then you should start by replacing the female power plug (Over the PCB) = Charging port
For example, my own now ASUS (used laptop which I did recently restored), this came with Charging port plug with obvious signs of misuse.
When I did desolder the old Charging port, then I did discover more unseen damage over this part.
More fragile than software this is the metallic parts.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@kiriakos Thank you. This charger port on this hp laptop is a separate item, not soldered to the PCB so it's cheap to replace however it's not the issue. It's either a bad battery or a software/ firmware issue from a virus that I have never seen before. It can charge to 100% and then discharge normally but will not charge at the same time as being turned on. The plug isn't loose or damaged at all, nor is the charger(s).
Musical instrument Product Guitar accessory Circuit component Font

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
@kiriakos Thank you. This charger port on this hp laptop is a separate item, not soldered to the PCB so it's cheap to replace however it's not the issue. It's either a bad battery or a software/ firmware issue from a virus that I have never seen before. It can charge to 100% and then discharge normally but will not charge at the same time as being turned on. The plug isn't loose or damaged at all, nor is the charger(s).
WITH OUT ELECTRICAL MEASUREMENTS AT HAND... yes it can be a virus with the face of tomato and two blue corns.

• Haha

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I order a new battery I will report back if it fixed the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts