Overclock.net banner

HP DL380 G7 Hardrives

3201 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  jeepkeys1986
Hi. I've recently acquired a HP DL380 G7 that's fitted with 2 Xeon CPU's and 36GB of RAM.

However, when I'm installing a 2.5in HDD that I have lying around, after a while the fans will ramp up to 70% which is seriously loud. After much research on Google. The server can't read the HDD's SMART correctly and thinks it's overheating. All Firmware is up-to-date, except the Backplane. Can't seem to find a way to update that yet.

Does anyone have a list or know which HDD's I can use? Need 2.5in HDD's

I'm currently using the server for Plex, Minecraft Server, and will eventually use it to host Space Engineers.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Does it have a RAID controller or are you SATA straight to the main board? If it has a RAID controller, check it's specs and verify that it is indeed compatible with the disk's you're using. Older controllers like the PERC6/i's had some robust features but only supported small disks.

· Registered
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. It has the P410i Raid Controller. Currently have 2x 72GB 10K SAS Drives in Raid 0 which is used to boot Server 2012 R2. I have one old 160GB Hitachi HDD (SATA) and 1 500GB Seagate HDD (SATA) in.

It can be very picky with the hardrives I use. I could stick one of my 500GB Toshiba HDD's in, and a couple of mins later the fans ramp up to 76% and thinks it's overheating. It gets seriously loud, especially when it sits in my living room next to the TV :p

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I know this might be a stupid idea that might not work at all... but have you given any thought to tossing in a cheap card like a H200?

If that won't work I'm sorry for the recommendation. I certainly am not someone who knows what they are doing but I have a (2) Dell r210ii servers and a dell r710 and I can say that I did not have the most luck just tossing drives into the r710 but the one r210ii that is running has ran just about everything I could throw at it. Of course it also has 6 on board ports on top of the H200 but I only have the optical on that.

· LTSC for life crew
6,701 Posts
We had an HP DL380 at a company I worked for and it was incredibly picky with drives. After swapping out a bunch of RAID cards and varying capacity drives our IT guy ended up using identical 36GB 15K rpm drives to keep the system happy.

Cost our company buku dollars to troubleshoot so maybe that info will be of some help to you.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
I remember having this issue only when throwing in an SSD, but that was back when I had a Proliant G5 2U.

I'm using HP G7 blades now, HP Smart Array P410i Controller I believe, and I'm throwing in Toshiba Drives 300GB SAS 10k drives I got from recycling at work. No issues on my end.

· Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old thread but Im sure others out there have this server at home. I also have a HP DL380 G7 server that I use as a workstation but I have not experienced any abnormal fan behavior when adding hdds. What bios are you running? I have version P67 from 07/02/13. Also my p410i is v6.40 if that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.