Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The newest project from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is set to revolutionize the toilet.

Together with the German government, the project aims to provide 800,000 people in Kenya with access to sanitation facilities and clean drinking water for 200,000 people, reports TIME.

According to the magazine, Bill Gates says it's time to leave the era of the classic toilet behind, and he points out that despite all of the recent achievements, 40 percent of the world's population, or some 2.5 billion people, still live without proper means of flushing away excrement.
sicksmiley.png


SOURCE
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Good idea for the third world type countries. Heck not a bad idea for anywhere. Just has to be one of those things where you don't think about where the water came from
tongue.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
They are not talking about reclaiming water from urine and fecal matter. They are talking about preventing urine and fecal matter from contaminating local drinking water supplies.
thumb.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nub;14209042
They are not talking about reclaiming water from urine and fecal matter. They are talking about preventing urine and fecal matter from contaminating local drinking water supplies.
thumb.gif
Yeah I inferred that when they mentioned drying it out, but it would make sense to do that just to prevent seepage.

Although the article does say they are issuing grants to figure out something to do with the fecal matter
tongue.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000;14209082
Yeah I inferred that when they mentioned drying it out, but it would make sense to do that just to prevent seepage.

Although the article does say they are issuing grants to figure out something to do with the fecal matter
tongue.gif
.
Fertilizer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
do you still poop and pee in it?

or is the toilet for drinking only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nub;14209042
They are not talking about reclaiming water from urine and fecal matter. They are talking about preventing urine and fecal matter from contaminating local drinking water supplies.
thumb.gif
oh.. that makes better sense
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,313 Posts
The International Space Station already recycles urine into clean drinking water which they do drink and use. I'd hook one up if the costs became reasonable at a consumer level.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa;14209660
The International Space Station already recycles urine into clean drinking water which they do drink and use. I'd hook one up if the costs became reasonable at a consumer level.
I find this amazingly hilarious due to your name
eek.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Quote:


Together with the German government, the project aims to provide 800,000 people in Kenya with access to sanitation facilities and clean drinking water for 200,000 people, reports TIME.


Quote:


...provide 800,000 people in Kenya with access to sanitation facilities and clean drinking water for 200,000 people...


Quote:


...provide 800,000 people...for 200,000 people...

Umm, I don't...how...what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
800,000 will have access to sanitation facilities, and 200,000 will have clean drinking water.

Need more people like Bill Gates in the world, least money hasn't consumed his soul.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon;14214773
Need more people like Bill Gates in the world, least money hasn't consumed his soul.
Oh it has, but he has so much that you might as well do good stuff too, since he can't spend it all
lachen.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Quote:


Toilet tech isn’t something that many people think about regularly but toilets are an essential part of healthy living. There are 2.6 billion people worldwide that don’t have access to something that most of us think of is very basic, which can lead to deceases and even death. Bill Gates is dedicating $42 million to solve this problem. His goal is to create a system that can work without piped-in water, electricity, or a sewer connection. He also wants the system to be easy to install, very cheap to maintain, and to have the ability to turn waste into energy. Checkout the video below to get further insight into the project.

(Check out the source for the video)

Source

Interesting to see tech dollars going towards something that really helps people
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
I just want on of those Japanese toilets, where they shoot warm water at your bunghole, when you flush, just to stay cleaner. I'm probably one of the few that take a shower after every dump, unless I'm at work of course. I'm a hygiene freak in that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Coach Mcguirk
View Post

I just want on of those Japanese toilets, where they shoot warm water at your bunghole, when you flush, just to stay cleaner. I'm probably one of the few that take a shower after every dump, unless I'm at work of course. I'm a hygiene freak in that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S using Tapatalk

you know they sell bidet kits for regular toilets that you can install? it has every feature you want including the warm water and if you really want to spend a lot of cash heated seats
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Coach Mcguirk
View Post

I just want on of those Japanese toilets, where they shoot warm water at your bunghole, when you flush, just to stay cleaner. I'm probably one of the few that take a shower after every dump, unless I'm at work of course. I'm a hygiene freak in that way.

I read that whole post in Coach Mcguirk's voice.
 

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
Haha @ first comment.

But seriously guys, 42 million and he's asking so much? Well kudos to anyone or any people who comes through.
 

·
More Cores!
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Wake me when you can flush a towel down your toilet and nothing bad happens.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top