Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7487755/hp-5k-4k-curved-display-unveiled-ces-2015

Regarding the curved 3440x1440 34" Ultrawide:
Quote:
Curved displays aren't brand new for HP, but the new Envy 34c is among HP's first. It's a 34-inch display with a 3440 by 1440 resolution and a 21:9 aspect ratio. HP says that it's designed the display to have a reduced reflectiveness, hopefully making it easier to see the entire width of it. There are also built-in speakers on either side of the screen. It's going to be made available in April for $999. HP is also already selling a smaller curved display, 27-inches diagonally, for $399.

HP is positioning all of these as displays that'll help you get work done. While it suggests design and gaming too, most of what it's been showing off on these are enormous spreadsheets. That's probably not the best way to use a high-resolution display like this, but that may be part of the point: soon, this will just be an average display - and everything, even down to your boring spreadsheets, will look seriously good.
Biggest standout to me is the 34" 21:9 curved display for only $999 (compared to the Dell and Samsungs that have been seen around with pre-orders for $1400).

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
That's just the same panel everyone is releasing a monitor based these days. Actually looking at all of the info, those are all monitors based on existing panels. Some nice price decreases though, showing the 5K 27" for only $1299 is epic.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
LOL.. 5K @ $1299?

Ah.. the price of early entry....
rolleyes.gif

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,973 Posts

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelius View Post

What's the point of 27" curved display ?
Si you can wear it on your face! strap a rubberband to it and you got your own VR headset in 4k!
lachen.gif

I could seriously never go back to a 27.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Count me as part of the not-a-fan-of-curved-displays club. Now OLED just need to make it to the computer monitor world and i'm golden.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by serothis View Post

Count me as part of the not-a-fan-of-curved-displays club. Now OLED just need to make it to the computer monitor world and i'm golden.
That is going to be my biggest decision for deciding on my upcoming monitor purchase: Do I love or not love curved displays?

If I love curved, I'll go with a 21:9 34" ultrawide in 3440x1440, VA panel.

If I don't love curved, I'll go with a 40" 4k VA panel and set a custom resolution for 21:9 aspect (equivalent of a 37.9" ultrawide with a higher PPI) for the games that I would want to play in that ultrawide aspect.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baasha View Post

LOL.. 5K @ $1299?

Ah.. the price of early entry....
rolleyes.gif
You are not going to see a 5k curved display under $800 for at least 2 years. A $400 markup isn't what I would call an "early adopter fee". Consider that when they are $800, reaching anything lower then $500 will be a pipe dream for years to come.

Just depends what resolution you need and when. Its not like these are $3k sets like early 4k displays.

Someone also made a good point in a different thread comparing 4k to 1080 and 2560 to 5k, 5k will inherently demand a higher price because of much less demand outside of pro/prosumer space where 4k or uhd (yes i realize they are different) will be a big market for consumers, thus demand a lower price much more rapidly.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I am so glad the 3440x1440 resolution is taking off. This HP might be my next monitor purchase. have been using an HP LP3065 for years and years.

I just wish full backlighting was more common. edge lit is so fail in comparison.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Am I the only one that want a 5K 55" curved display? The same pixel-density as a 30" 2560x1600 or the good 'ol 17" 1280x1024, but HUGE. And from a marketing standpoint, 5K 55" sounds really nice. The 555 model. Throw in G-Sync or FreeSync and we're golden. Might have to sell the car, but it would be worth it!

As far as curved monitors go, yes please. Upto 24" is good while flat, but from 27" and up, when sitting closer than 1 meter (3'3") the edges aren't really "head on" any more.

The only problem with gaming on a 5K display vs a 4K display is that 5K = 14,75MP and 4K = 8,29MP. It's almost twice the number of pixels. About the same differance as 1920x1080 vs 2560x1440. Sure, some games would run just fine, but that is a TON of pixels. And kind of "real" AA is almost guaranteed to not be viable the next generation or two, unless a pixle becomes easier to render the more of them there are.

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
And this is why I don't like to follow consumer technology that much. Everything cool is super expensive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts