Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


Who hasn’t screamed at the monitor when a faltering internet connection disrupted an otherwise good online match? No matter how powerful and gaming-oriented a PC is, sometimes lag is inevitable. To try and minimize these problems, BigFoot Networks released the Killer Xeno Pro, a network card sold by EVGA that takes control of the internet away from Windows and manages the bandwith to the user’s gaming needs. The operation is a bit complex but the purpose of this test is to see if it delivers what it promises.

The Source
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,687 Posts
Quote:


Conclusions

Strong Points
  • Easy to install and configure.
  • Overall improvement of latency and framerate values.
  • Makes it possible to download files and keep on playing online.
Weak Points
  • Connection improvement may not be worth the investment.
  • Casual gamer will not feel the need to have one.
  • It won't improve a bad internet connection.

/thread
 

·
Z-80 > i9
Joined
·
17,244 Posts
I want one, so I can have torrents and stuff going without it slowing everything down, plus it uses a PCIe 1x and not PCI slot..
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
a good router can do this + much more, I have better thing to do with x1 slots than put this useless piece of junk in it (soundcards). At the price of that thing I could also build a mini server that would be twice as powerful.
 

·
Z-80 > i9
Joined
·
17,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
a good router can do this + much more, I have better thing to do with x1 slots than put this useless piece of junk in it (soundcards). At the price of that thing I could also build a mini server that would be twice as powerful.
Trying finding a good router in Australia with it costing less than AU$250 (Price of one of these cards rounded up to the nearest $50.)

Plus, I already have a PCI x-Fi...
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
I can find you a good router with a comparable price but not in Australia. You could still build yourself a mini server running Linux for about the same price.

Motherboard, Intel Atom CPU w/ Cooler Combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153122

1GB Stick of DDR2 400 Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144180

Optical Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106274

Case & PSU Combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147131

Total $148

The Killer Xeno Pro @ EVGA Website retails for $130 and the "Killer Xeno Ultra" coming out soon will retail for much more. My mini server config above has much more power and cost around if not less than those cards.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Choggs396

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
a good router can do this + much more, I have better thing to do with x1 slots than put this useless piece of junk in it (soundcards). At the price of that thing I could also build a mini server that would be twice as powerful.
False.

A good router will handle packets on your network better, this is correct, but a dedicated NIC will handle the packets on your computer better, which is where a majority of the lag problems come into play.

I've tested the Intel Pro 1000 Gigabit NIC & Broadcom NetXstream II. Both of those, even with an IT grade home network, improved performance in the same way this card has been designed to do.

Though, neither card is as powerful, they are much cheaper, which is a plus side. Either way, you are just misleading the facts.

Yes a good home network will help. But this, with even a basic home network will do much better with the packet handling. And give you a larger performance boost.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
False.

A good router will handle packets on your network better, this is correct, but a dedicated NIC will handle the packets on your computer better, which is where a majority of the lag problems come into play.
I've tested the Intel Pro 1000 Gigabit NIC & Broadcom NetXstream II. Both of those, even with an IT grade home network, improved performance in the same way this card has been designed to do.

Though, neither card is as powerful, they are much cheaper, which is a plus side. Either way, you are just misleading the facts.

Yes a good home network will help. But this, with even a basic home network will do much better with the packet handling. And give you a larger performance boost.

I find this hard to believe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
I can find you a good router with a comparable price but not in Australia. You could still build yourself a mini server running Linux for about the same price.

Motherboard, Intel Atom CPU w/ Cooler Combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153122

1GB Stick of DDR2 400 Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144180

Optical Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106274

Case & PSU Combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147131

Total $148
You need another NIC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post

I find this hard to believe.
Take 10 seconds to look up how windows handles packets, then look up how a dedicated NIC handles them.

That is truly the easiest way to understand it.

When you have an onboard NIC like these, that actually by passes the standard methods used by windows to handle packets, and actually dedicates it own small operating system to handling all this traffic.

A dedicated NIC simply will be better and sending and receiving packets, as the way it manages make it easier for them to come and go, is more orderly, and has a clear advantage when it comes to anything that's going to be high data passage over a network.

Think of it like this, the packets are children, and your router is a crossing guard on a street, if you get the kids lined up prior to them crossing the street, the crossing guard can get them across faster as they don't have to line them up before hand.

It's not the best analogy in the world, but it's a very simple way of explaining what is going on.

EDIT:

Read the article and they use a better analogy than I did.

Quote:
In layman's terms Killer Xeno Pro behaves like an overzealous porter that receives a FedEx addressed to you and immediately sends it over to your apartment, instead of piling up stuff over the counter and waiting to deliver everything by the end of his shift, like Windows does.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,501 Posts
I can see how disabling onboard ethernet and using a dedicated NIC might free up a few resources, but performance is still ISP-based, period. There's lots of tweaks you can do yourself to clean up any "bottlenecks" in network performance, anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
I can see how this might help if you have a heavily loaded server on your network and you happen to game on the server... but in the mean time, I'll stick with integrated or a cheap dedicated card when I need a ethernet network connection.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:


Originally Posted by Diabolical999
View Post

I can see how disabling onboard ethernet and using a dedicated NIC might free up a few resources, but performance is still ISP-based, period. There's lots of tweaks you can do yourself to clean up any "bottlenecks" in network performance, anyways.

Packet handling is all on your side, and that is what a dedicated NIC improves. Packet Management.

Your ISP has nothing to do with the equation that this thing is mean meant for.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:
Conclusions



Strong Points
  • Easy to install and configure. - Like every other NIC
  • Overall improvement of latency and framerate values. - Like every other NIC
  • Makes it possible to download files and keep on playing online. - Like every other NIC
Weak Points
  • Connection improvement may not be worth the investment.
  • Casual gamer will not feel the need to have one.
  • It won't improve a bad internet connection.

  • Fixed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
Fixed
[/LEFT]
you do speak some truth.

Broadcom NetXstream II - $25. The only thing it doesn't have is the custom VIOP & USB port.
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Like I said, build yourself an Atom server running Linux. It will have over x10 the power and cost the same.

*see first page*
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top