Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Ive been looking into getting a new phone, I've been eyeing the HTC M8 a lot or S5.

I've been reading about the new HTC One M8, it looks really nice but heared the 4 "ultra" pixel isnt that good on it, where its basically a 4 MP camera compared to upcoming 16MP by S5.

I like taking pictures on my phone of car meets / scenic things and uploading them to instagram/facebook etc

I'm not the kind of person that is super hardcore and very demanding with photos but I do like nice quality photos I can just snap away but was just concerned about this whole "ultra pixel" thing.

Whats everyone's opinion is about the new HTC M8 camera?

·
:)
11,146 Posts
It's basically a slightly updated version of the camera from the previous One. My friend has the previous and and does take very nice pictures I think. Crisp and clear, hell of a lot better than my HTC One X+.
Samsung might have a better camera, but I think HTC has the better overall phone. Both will take pretty enough pictures of your car though
wink.gif

·
Registered
226 Posts
The main camera is actually worse. It's the exact same camera but they removed OIS, which was one of the better selling points of last year's One. Instead of making the camera better, they added a secondary one so you can take pictures with some nice bokeh.

You may or may not like to use that feature (personally, I don't care for artistic photos and don't like the idea of taking pictures with less information in them), but it doesn't justify or make up for the loss of OIS. Either way, the situation with the One's camera is the same as last year. It's good for indoors and pictures that will be resized heavily for the internet but not so good for well-lit outdoor shots.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's a nice camera and the pictures look good (going off the M7), but once you zoom in, the 4mp quality shows. I have an HTC DNA with an 8mp shooter. Low light and pictures with low and high lighting look much better on the ONE, but once zoomed in, my DNA has more quality.

What provider do you have? I will probably be switching to T Mobile due to their unlimited plans, and more importantly, the Xperia Z2.
21.8mp and waterproof camera
thumb.gif

Or if you need a phone now, the Xperia Z1s is basically the same phone, with an older processor, and a .2 inch smaller screen.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with sprint as we have a small business plan with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post

The main camera is actually worse. It's the exact same camera but they removed OIS, which was one of the better selling points of last year's One. Instead of making the camera better, they added a secondary one so you can take pictures with some nice bokeh.

You may or may not like to use that feature (personally, I don't care for artistic photos and don't like the idea of taking pictures with less information in them), but it doesn't justify or make up for the loss of OIS. Either way, the situation with the One's camera is the same as last year. It's good for indoors and pictures that will be resized heavily for the internet but not so good for well-lit outdoor shots.
Dang :/ whenever I have free time I go on these car cruises and like to take moving shots / still shots / videos of the cars now im debating a lot
thinking.gif

·
Registered
484 Posts
Everyone keeps saying the camera is worse... it truly isn't. It's much better infact.

I have both phones in the house, the M8 is spot on. These are very good for fast point and clicks, the animal ones were zoomed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hucksake View Post

Everyone keeps saying the camera is worse... it truly isn't. It's much better infact.

I have both phones in the house, the M8 is spot on. These are very good for fast point and clicks, the animal ones were zoomed.

I think they both take great pictures, more so close ups than anything. But once I zoom in on anything, it quickly loses any clarity it appeared to have. 4mp just isn't that large of a resolution.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have a M7 and i would say the camera is good but not great. 4mp is a little low, it is more than enough for thew web but can look bad on a computer. The sensor also does not have that great dynamic range leading to washed out highlights or crushed blacks. With that being said the camera is amazing in low light and medium light, most indoor pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've just purchased an HTC M8 the day time pictures and videos are great, the only problem I have found is night time picture in bright artificial lights seem over saturated and wished out, the ultra pixel camera lets in a lot more light for low light photos, I suppose you can't have everything.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

A 4MP camera is never good unless all you do is take selfies and post them up on facebook.
Attempt to sound condescending failed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Suggest you feast your eyes on this thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2694621&page=43

Now tell me that camera isn't awesome.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spybreak/sets/72157643351794005/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt425/sets/72157642908546733/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tetjk/sets/72157643152349865/

People are trying very hard to justify their megapixel beliefs, but the evidence goes against them all the way.

Similar to how many DSLR purists are going for sensors over sheer numbers now.

13494192833_1c0a0fcd2d_c.jpg
13508817843_f8a4623a1d_c.jpg
13628889374_4c32282c4b_c.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts