Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M8 OWNERS UNITE!!! (This phone will give you superpowers)

-1. jodiuh - Windows phone defector/traitor

2. burksdb
3. onoz
4. Arthur Hucksdale
*5. XNine - Rooted/S-off Tampered Flag Red Text Removed Viper One ROM stock kernel
6. onoz
7. erocker
8. Koehler

Not sure if this is a Diamond Wireless thing or a Verizon thing, but I just picked it up and got a $100 MIR. Says it's good til the 13th.

I tried the M7 for a day, but 8 hours w/ low to medium usage wasn't going to work for me, so now I have the M8.

Impressions:

-VERY solid build, sides are now metal...it feels like a WMD
-Screen is NOTICEABLY wider than M7, this bothered me tremendously on the M7. We are talking mm here, but it is huge for this guy.
-charging cord is 1/2 the length of the blue m7 I had...not sure if there is specific reason for this, IIRC, there is something special about the charging situation

That's it, lol! I'm going very slow w/ this one so I don't get overwhelmed. Between this and Captain America later tonight, I can hardly contain myself.

The VZW Tempered Glass Screen Protector is $25:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/tempered-glass-screen-protector-for-the-all-new-htc-one-m8/

"So far I have purchased the VZW brand and the Zagg, major difference being the VZW branded protector covers the entire front of the device from top to bottom with cutouts for the boom speakers and front facing camera, where as the other brands all cover the screen only."

-mbellis of Android Central Forums

The dot view case is pre order, but comes in BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...IMPERIAL BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
http://www.shopandroid.com/htc-dot-view-case/4A22A17792A.htm

Alright, pardon me while I go play!

I have nothing to do today except see Cap America later tonight, so feel free to fire off any Q's!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, it's been a couple days and I'm still scratching the surface of this thing.

So the stock, maybe sense music player pulls album art from the music I bought @ Amazon, displays a visualization that looks fantastic and the lyrics are highlighted on the screen.

This is as close as it gets to a private concert when it's just you and it android.

Very impressed with this and no need to install power amp. No issues with flax files ripped from cds either.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although Swans M50W's offer WAY more low end and more filler, if you will, I actually prefer to listen to music w/ the phones speakers. Somehow the clarity of the high end and the natural richness of vocals outclasses the lack of any low end for me. I am GLAD I am not a bass head.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*The Big ?*

We all know about the 4MP issue here and the biggest issue for me is zooming in on details in a photo. They simply are not there and have been replaced by Minecraft.
tongue.gif

But this is not the purpose of the camera IMO. Low light pics let in a tremendous amount of light. These pictures look fantastic on phones and some monitors AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT ZOOM IN.

Thus my "fix" for the situation is to never, ever, ever zoom in on a photo. This essentially solves my biggest beef w/ the device.

HUGE YMMV and I can completely understand how this might be a deal breaker.

That's it for tonight. This guy needs some sleep! Tomorrow I will go into detail about my experience w/ the Amazon music app/store and how that looks...as well as whether or not I can tell the difference between a 1700 Kbps FLAC file and a 256 Kbps MP3 file.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I bought a couple albums from them and to my ears there is no difference.

I hate to cut this short, but I'm just going to say that after playing with the S5, I'm keeping the One M8.

Cheers and good luck OCN!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i should be trading my M7 in towards the M8 on the 11th cant wait played with the demo today

• Rep+
Reactions: Jodiuh

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgive me, I finally got some rest.

I'm cutting the rebate UPC today...this phone will be mine for some time.

S5 will also be great, but for me...

1. Boomsound: Stereo, CLEAR vocals
2. The red colored music app offers karaoke and visualizations

That right there is enough for me, but I am an audiophile. Also, the headphone out is even better than the M7 to my ears. I don't know the specs, so it will be interesting to see if they are different or if it was placebo. Also, Beats on the M7 is a hahaha!!!!
biggrin.gif

Good morning OCN!
tongue.gif

Good evening OCN!
tongue.gif

So the HTC music app is quite nice. They have visualizations and the lyrics get picked up and displayed ala karaoke style. Combined w/ the speakers, this makes quite a fun...toy. And hey, we all need toys, right? Also, the top banner bar is red. I would have preferred an option to change this color, but we can't have EVERTHING and that is ok. Red is a powerful color!

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
I'm sorely tempted by the new One. I loved everything about the original One except the smallish screen size and now I really like this phone. Problem is I really want to try out Windows Phone and the Lumia Icon is a really nice phone too. Decisions, decisions.

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
Keep posting and doing your tests! I'm getting mine on Monday and I'm SUUUUPER excited! I'm coming from a dumbphone, so it'll be even more glorious
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
484 Posts
Add me to the list.

My recent phone history goes like this.

iPhone 5 > Galaxy S4 > One M7 > Z1 Compact and now the HTC One M8. They got me this time.

My gf has an M7, I loved that too so got one. Shame I got a broken one. lol

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Laters.

Leaving cause targeted ads w/ sites that are not finished and obviously just thrown up to net me in. GG OCN.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Have mine! Add me to the list.

Rooted/S-off with Tampered Flag and Red Text removed. Running Viper One ROM and stock kernel.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
How you liking it? I'm still holding off until some more next gen Windows Phones release like the Lumia Icon. I'm really tired of Android tbh but if nothing better releases soon for WP I'll likely get this M8...

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Sickest phone I've ever touched. The battery life is phenomenal. With my HTC One X, I was getting about 10 hours battery life on a GOOD day. On this I'm getting between 18-28 depending on my usage, which means I don't have to worry about going a full day at the Vet clinic with only 35-40 minutes of use and the battery being near dead when I get out. When I'm not using it, drain is between 0-2% an hour. Not even kidding. As I write this, I've had 17h 24 Min on Battery, 9h 36m Active, and screen on 6h 28m.

One thing does piss me off though, and that has more to do with Android than the phone itself, is that in Kitkat emoticons no longer become smileys after you type them. They're gone. Now Android is pushing this 13 year old emoji garbage on us. Whoever decided that at Google should be shot, beat, stabbed, drowned, shot, beat again, and thrown off a cliff.

I cannot stand Windows Phone, personally. So few options for apps and practically no customization0.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Eh, I can count on one hand the number of apps that I've ever actually downloaded. Just not into apps really...

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

Sickest phone I've ever touched. The battery life is phenomenal. With my HTC One X, I was getting about 10 hours battery life on a GOOD day. On this I'm getting between 18-28 depending on my usage, which means I don't have to worry about going a full day at the Vet clinic with only 35-40 minutes of use and the battery being near dead when I get out. When I'm not using it, drain is between 0-2% an hour. Not even kidding. As I write this, I've had 17h 24 Min on Battery, 9h 36m Active, and screen on 6h 28m.

One thing does piss me off though, and that has more to do with Android than the phone itself, is that in Kitkat emoticons no longer become smileys after you type them. They're gone. Now Android is pushing this 13 year old emoji garbage on us. Whoever decided that at Google should be shot, beat, stabbed, drowned, shot, beat again, and thrown off a cliff.

I cannot stand Windows Phone, personally. So few options for apps and practically no customization0.
How... I just got my phone, and already I'm a bit saddened by my battery life (but not enough to hate on this phone). My phone was 99% at 8:15 am, and is now sitting at 86% from one 10 minute phone call, checking my email about 3 times, and downloading 2 new apps (but not using them). Not bad at all, but not great either. Am I doing it wrong?

Still love it though!
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 253 Posts