Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having started college, I have come to realise that whilst I love my gaming PC, it really doesn't get the use it deserves any more and I may be better off selling it, building a HTPC, and getting a netbook for working on.

So my question is, how much (in £GBP) does it cost to build a fairly decent HTPC?

I would like to have a bluray drive, a freeviewHD or freesatHD tuner, and would like it to be fairly small and quiet.

I don't really have any idea as to how much my current rig is worth, but I would like to get a rough idea as to how much a HTPC will cost me and then work out if I would be better of with a fully functional HTPC and a netbook that I would prefer to do work on, rather than a powerful PC that really only gets used to playback media now

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mib2347
View Post

So after having started college, I have come to realise that whilst I love my gaming PC, it really doesn't get the use it deserves any more and I may be better off selling it, building a HTPC, and getting a netbook for working on.

So my question is, how much (in £GBP) does it cost to build a fairly decent HTPC?

I would like to have a bluray drive, a freeviewHD or freesatHD tuner, and would like it to be fairly small and quiet.

I don't really have any idea as to how much my current rig is worth, but I would like to get a rough idea as to how much a HTPC will cost me and then work out if I would be better of with a fully functional HTPC and a netbook that I would prefer to do work on, rather than a powerful PC that really only gets used to playback media now

You can probably build an HTPC for $400 simply because you don't really need anything but the bare minimum and you don't really need a lot of performance power. Also your rig can fetch a good bit considering you have a great mobo and a 480.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Prices will vary due to availability over seas... I would definitely use your CPU, half your RAM, PSU, HD, and then sell the rest to fund the rest of it!

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceMaker
View Post

Prices will vary due to availability over seas... I would definitely use your CPU, half your RAM, PSU, HD, and then sell the rest to fund the rest of it!

There is no need to keep that PSU. I would def sell that as well. Personally I would sell the whole thing and get a cheap AMD set up with a 5770 or GTS 450.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I plan to sell it as a whole really, I only got the case (silverstone ft02) a month ago so its still in a nice condition. All I use the PC for now is web browsing, media playback to my TV, and doing college work so it would make a lot more sense to sell everything as a whole, including the monitor, and create a nice media PC for the TV and get a netbook for browsing and college work

I've seen this case and really like it atm

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Well, I'm just saying thats financially the best option. If the cost isn't that much of an issue, then by all means, go right ahead and sell it and rebuy! That's more fun anyway, isn't it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts