Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my birthday is next month and I'm hoping to use any birthday cash plus overtime money to build a new PC. Originally I'd thought about trying to do a 100% passive build, but have since thrown that aside for a bit more power. My current PC is used for both gaming and HTPC purposes, but it is a giant beast of a thing. I'm looking to downsize that, as well as get some decent processing power, more memory, and SSD boot-times and general snappiness. Not really looking to overclock necessarily, but definitely undervolt. Possibly overclocking depending on how hot it runs in the case at stock speeds.

Here's what I've decided on so far...

Case:
Wesena ITX5

PSU:
PicoPSU 160XT + 192w Adapter

CPU:
Intel Core-i5 3570k

Heatsink:
Silverstone NT07

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77E-ITX

Memory:
G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series - 8GB DDR3

Video Card:
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB

Storage:
OCZ Agility 3 - 60GB - owned
OCZ Solid 3 - 60GB - owned

The only thing I'm solid on is the case... to me it's just about the best looking M-ITX case I've ever seen. I'm open to suggestions, but definitely don't want a boxy case.

Other than that, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I really doubt a 150w PSU will be able to support a quad-core CPU and discreet GPU. You might have to buy an ITX or FlexATX PSU.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I don't think that 150w psu is going to power all that. A 3570k can draw nearly 170w on full load. Recommended psu wattage for a 6670 is 400w according to a few retail sites.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post

I don't think that 150w psu is going to power all that. A 3570k can draw nearly 170w on full load. Recommended psu wattage for a 6670 is 400w according to a few retail sites.
In real a 6670 shudnt consume 400W. Its like how according to the box, the Mars 2 suggested power was 1000w. But its not true. But yea I think at least 300W wud be good. And ure really gonna OC in this? cuz u could shave off a few dollars by just getting the regular i5 3570

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
150W might be enough. I ran a A8-3850 (100W TDP) and a 6670 both at full load on a 160W Pico-PSU just fine.

Scratch that. I was using a 192W brick and if it is the 12V rail, it will pass all the amperage through the Pico so I was essentially running a 192W Pico-PSU.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
The 400W PSU that sites recommend is for the entire system, not just GPU. Even then, it's a very generous number to allow for overclocking and very high wattage CPUs.

An HD 6670 under full load will draw up to 92W at stock clocks and an i5 3570K under full load will draw up to 77W at stock clocks. That's 169W without accounting for the motherboard, RAM, hard drives, fans, optical drives or USB ports (such as charging your phone over USB). Now I doubt the system would ever see 100% usage like that, and that's where the OP might be able to scrape by with just a 150W PSU.

But why pair such a basic PSU with nice, high-end hardware like that? You'd never be able to overclock nor leave yourself room to upgrade in the future (like if you wanted to get a better GPU). You'd also have to buy some splitters, as it only has one SATA cable.

If you don't care about overclocking, you can save a lot of money by getting a non-K CPU and an H77 motherboard.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!

According to Tom's Hardware, total system draw for the 6670 and an overclocked Core-i5 2500k will use around 124w at it's peak. That still leaves 'some' room, and the 3570k has a lower TDP than the 2500k (77w vs 95w). In addition to that, I'd be undervolting it, using low voltage memory, and using SSDs vs 3.5" HDD's they use in the test setup on Tom's. Barring some unforseen factor, it seems to me that I'd have plenty of power with a 150w PSU.

Also, any suggestions on heatsink? I looked at a Silverstone's NT07 but it didn't seem to perform much better than the stock heatsink. I know I'll be a bit limited considering the size of the case, but I'm fine with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourcore9brker View Post

Scratch that. I was using a 192W brick and if it is the 12V rail, it will pass all the amperage through the Pico so I was essentially running a 192W Pico-PSU.
Can you tell me where to grab one, and if they have higher wattage versions? Even if 150w is enough, it can't hurt to have more breathing room
smile.gif

Edit: This looks like it might be what you were using? - PicoPSU 160XT + 192w Adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthybox View Post

any reason you're buying the k CPU?
(if you can't undervolt a 3400, call me stupid)
Just based off what I read on Anandtech (Undervolting and Overclocking Ivy Bridge), the 3570k is the best buy, even if you're looking at power consumption, vs the low wattage options. Undervolting it brings it down to power levels similar to the 3400, while maintaining a clear performance lead. That article is what convinced me to drop the idea of using an i3, especially the low wattage version. No idea if you can undervolt the 3400 though. I figured 3570k would be best in case at some point in the future I wish to overclock it. I usually only build a new PC every 3-4 years or so, so some room for cheap growth would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post

But why pair such a basic PSU with nice, high-end hardware like that? You'd never be able to overclock nor leave yourself room to upgrade in the future (like if you wanted to get a better GPU). You'd also have to buy some splitters, as it only has one SATA cable.
If you don't care about overclocking, you can save a lot of money by getting a non-K CPU and an H77 motherboard.
The idea in my head was to pack as much power into as small a space as possible. I'm not 100% sure about whether or not the H77 boards or the non-K CPU's can undervolt, and I'd like to get overclock capable hardware now for future proofing, that way I don't need to buy as much new hardware later when I want some extra speed. The video cards will always be on the lower-mid end, because of the limited room in this case (single slot, low-profile only). If I were to upgrade my case at some point, I'd likely have more room for a higher end PSU as well. The Pico has a molex connector, so I'd probably just get an adapter for that. I'd only need two SATA plugs total, since I'd only have the two SSDs. I'd definitely like a higher end PSU 'if' it could fit in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post

I don't think that 150w psu is going to power all that. A 3570k can draw nearly 170w on full load.
It's a 77w processor. No way would the processor alone consume 170w. Most of the time it would never even hit 77w.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That 160W Pico + 192W Brick is exactly what I have.
I must tell you that the brick massive though.

I'd suggest moving to the 7750 instead of the 6670 unless the budget doesn't allow it. This card in particular. I've been eyeing it for a while.
tongue.gif
It can do triple screen if you desire but also has the normal outputs. The 7750 actually draws less than a 6670 does and has a lot more performance. Source

Currently 192W + 160W is the highest normal Pico build. There are ways to get it more powerful but then you start to go into a grey area that starts to cause problems potentially. They make AC-DC converters that go up to 500W+ but you have to do a lot of the wiring yourself and there are other precautions you need to take into account.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

That 160W Pico + 192W Brick is exactly what I have.
I must tell you that the brick massive though.
I'd suggest moving to the 7750 instead of the 6670 unless the budget doesn't allow it. This card in particular. I've been eyeing it for a while.
tongue.gif
It can do triple screen if you desire but also has the normal outputs. The 7750 actually draws less than a 6670 does and has a lot more performance. Source
Currently 192W + 160W is the highest normal Pico build. There are ways to get it more powerful but then you start to go into a grey area that starts to cause problems potentially. They make AC-DC converters that go up to 500W+ but you have to do a lot of the wiring yourself and there are other precautions you need to take into account.
Wow how did I not see that card before? I even had a 7750 as a potential card at one point, but it was a full height card, I'll definitely be picking that up instead, thanks
smile.gif

In light of the change in video card then, I think 150w is probably more than adequate, no? Just looking to stay away from the massive brick if possible
tongue.gif

Any suggestions on the CPU heatsink?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That card was released maybe a week ago and I only noticed because I have an RSS feed on Newegg's stuff.
tongue.gif

Personally, I say to stick with the 192W brick. Sure it is large, but you'll have a much greater upgrade potential for GPUs/CPUs in the future. Bricks are usually easy to carry around and hide.

See what interests you from here. I have the Evercool HPL-815 and can confirm it fits on boards that have the CPU placement close to the slot (it's very close though). The NT07 is really good too and I prefer it for any super low profile builds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, at least the price is practically the same so I probably will get the 192w.

The list you linked to only has Socket 775, or are most of them compatible with 1155 as well?

I definitely like the look of the NT07 over the HPL-815, and reviews for the HPL-815 have a lot of people complaining about the noise, whereas the NT07 most seem to claim it's pretty quiet, so I will probably go with that option.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Look for the NT07-1156 that's what you'll need.
Yeah I just meant the list of Top 5 Low Profile Heatsinks, it only mentioned Socket 775. I went through it though, and still like the NT07 just because it's primary use will be as an HTPC, so quiet is key. I originally intended to go 100% passive, but I think I might be playing with fire with an i5, passive heatsink, and a compact area, even if I went with my original case choice (Streacom FC8)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The stock fan on the HPL-815 is loud-ish. If you get a replacement fan, you can get the noise way down. Either choice should be good for your needs though. The NT07 is a lot smaller than the HPL-815 so it is probably the preferred choice here.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Intel Core-i5 3570k = 77w
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB = 55w
everything else = 40 watts
77 + 55 + 40 = 172 watts
add another 15% buffer = around 200w PSU you are looking for.

so as usual on everything SFF, armourcore9brker is pretty much on the nose on what you need for your system.

will it work with a 150w PSU? yes, because you rarely ever push your system to the limit anyway, HOWEVER, you are also opening yourself up to system failure when you do push your system to its limits.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMS View Post

Yeah I just meant the list of Top 5 Low Profile Heatsinks, it only mentioned Socket 775. I went through it though, and still like the NT07 just because it's primary use will be as an HTPC, so quiet is key. I originally intended to go 100% passive, but I think I might be playing with fire with an i5, passive heatsink, and a compact area, even if I went with my original case choice (Streacom FC8)
to be honest, I think you'd be better off going "semi passive" in the case you selected originally.(FC8) meaning putting the cpu on the heatpipe supplied by the case and somehow supply some cooling air on the heatsink. (modding a slow spinning fan onto the heatsink side of the case) alternatively you can mod a slow spinning 120m fan (with air filter) on the top of the case blowing down over the CPU side to supply additional cooling to supplement the passive heatsink. either way it should work better then an NT07 enclosed in a case that has nearly no airflow. remember a heatsink doesn't make the heat disappear. the heat needs to be dissipated into the ambient air or it's just like putting a heatsink inside an oven. it won't cool anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts