Overclock.net banner

HTPC or TiVo or what?

584 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Acturbo 
Well, TiVo, can't do things like a HTPC can, like Surf the web play games, but still have the ability to record TV shows.

From what I've gathered you cannot record HD effectively through a cable box -> PC -> TV nor can you record digital cable since most PCI TV tuners only have a limited number of channels it can go through...like 70 something, which is nice for standard cable but that's about it.

Also, I dont want to setup antennas or what not to record HDTV, I'll spend the extra $10 for a DVR that can do that through my cable provider.

Is it worth it, yes if you dont have digital cable and want to watch TV from the comfort of your office chair. For a living room device, I'm not sure it's up to you, but it's only really good if you have a really good TV, like a HDTV since normal TVs give off a fuzzy picture when you connect them to a TV. An HDTV is pretty much like a monitor but by then you probably want HD or Digital Cable .

I'm sure you can find a use for one but I would build one yourself and save some money, but I would use the HTPC in the Office or somewhere you don't have a digital converter box but want to record regular TV shows because sometime cable companies reem you with leasing prices for extra converter boxes

Pretty much, I really dont see a need for an HTPC, but honestly for the extra $10 a mnth from your cable company or even a TiVo (a TiVO can transfer shows to your computer other DVR's from Cable companies might not). It's a computer and I dont see the need for 1 comptuer being wasted on the TV, unless you cna get some pretty good emulators on it and play ROMs then thats a plsu but I have an Xbox for that

Now if you want to convert your PC to an HTPC that seems more reasonable but to bild a new HTPC you might as well get a TiVo for $200 and just pay for the service or do the lifetime service for it.

It's all up to you and what you want to spend on an HTPC, the only thing with an HTPC is there is no subcription fees, like a DVR or TiVo, but the trade off is you know it'll work as soon as you plug it in and get service. I have a TiVo in my Apartment and I dont know how I lived without it

The main reason why didn't go convert my PC into an HTPC was I couldnt record Digital Cable or HD cable that goes through a converter box, so i'll just use TiVo to record my stuff or whenever I decide to put the 27" as "just a TV" and not my monitor then maybe because I can stick the Analog Coaxial Cable directly into the PC card, but as long as I get a Digital feed and have a converter box there's not reason for me to go the HTPC route at this time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.