Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'm no computer expert.. but i want to know which is easier to setup and cheap... and whats teh difference between them?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Projekt

well i'm no computer expert.. but i want to know which is easier to setup and cheap... and whats teh difference between them?

What are you going to be using them for?
if you have DSL or cable internet then you are going to need a router if you want to share it bewtween computers on a network

If you are wanting to make a home network and you are not sharing a cable or DSL connection go with a hub

hub= cheap no set up

router= cost more requires setup.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just what he said, though hubs aren't called hubs ne more, they're called switches. If you find a 'hub' i wouldn't buy it cause its outdated. go for a switch if thats what you want to do. also, routers can be a pain in the ass if you don't know how to configure them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A hub and a switch are 2 completely differant things. A hub is a "dumb" device as a switch makes logical decisions about where to send packets. Switches are not replacing hubs either (as to my knowledge). Yes, switches are better than hubs but i wouldn't say they are replacing them. Since both have been around fo an equal amount of time. Right now switches and Hubs ARE the same price so you SHOULD go with a switch (like he said) but small hubs are still great for portability. Go with the first post on the hub or router and Broadband.

Broadband = router
Network without internet = switch/hub (go with switch since they are the same price)

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial

A hub and a switch are 2 completely differant things. A hub is a "dumb" device as a switch makes logical decisions about where to send packets. Switches are not replacing hubs either (as to my knowledge). Yes, switches are better than hubs but i wouldn't say they are replacing them. Since both have been around fo an equal amount of time. Right now switches and Hubs ARE the same price so you SHOULD go with a switch (like he said) but small hubs are still great for portability. Go with the first post on the hub or router and Broadband.

Broadband = router
Network without internet = switch/hub (go with switch since they are the same price)

Great explanation, I agree go with a switch, not a Hub or a router, the hub is too dumb to use with modern technology, and the router will take quite a bit of configuration.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Broadband = router

Thats a good explanation. I just wanted add something.

Just in case you are one of the unlucky ones and still have dial-up, LOL

Network with Dial-up and ICS = switch/hub

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

Thats a good explanation. I just wanted add something.

Just in case you are one of the unlucky ones and still have dial-up, LOL

Network with Dial-up and ICS = switch/hub

Thanks for adding that. Didnt really think about that. Hes right though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just used a hub when i had dial up to share between two computers. You can do the same with dsl or cable also. Thats how i shared my computer with my moms dsl since we had a stupid modem that only connected to the computer via USB.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

I just used a hub when i had dial up to share between two computers. You can do the same with dsl or cable also. Thats how i shared my computer with my moms dsl since we had a stupid modem that only connected to the computer via USB.

thats funny, I had to do the same thing with my Satellite connection it connects via USB and use ICS. Now that I have it all wireless, I had to go with a wireless router (it was cheaper than a wireless AP). since I had to use the ICS, I had to disable just about everything in the router (WEP and firewall, etc) so that my client PC's could browse the net.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts