Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TEC board needs some excitement:

Recently I am having fun stacking TECs. With my beloved 62mm block (check this previous post) I sandwitched two 62mm 400W Qmax TECs and achieved -60C Dt (cold plate to inlet water) under no load.

Well, the temperature is low enough for me to reach -27C on an idle 3770k, with inlet water temperature of 22C. After I let in some cold winter air, I got -42C on the CPU!! That's hack of low temperature! So I guess it's time to OC a little higher. After some tweaking, this is what I got:

Huge OC:

Test system:
TEC block:

Power supplies:

Water cooling rack:

Picture of the TEC block

After I finish my TEC chiller, it will be a three stage cascaded TEC system and there will be much more OC fun!
biggrin.gif

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
Sweet, so you are going to run a TEC chiller in line with a stacked TEC block? Sounds badass!

Eventually, once I get a new CPU setup, I want to stick a chiller in line with my Arqtik SDD TEC to give it some nice cold water
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
This looks truely awesome.

If you want some ideas on an external cooling solutions, I've built an HVAC type system with a phobya 480 rad in a box for the window. Also have a summer version with a massive rad and two 254mm fans. ROG-BOX linky in my sig. The summer version works with the chiller up to 25c outside temperatures.
wink.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rognin View Post

This looks truely awesome.
If you want some ideas on an external cooling solutions, I've built an HVAC type system with a phobya 480 rad in a box for the window. Also have a summer version with a massive rad and two 254mm fans. ROG-BOX linky in my sig. The summer version works with the chiller up to 25c outside temperatures.
wink.gif
Thanks, Rog! I have seen your awesome build before. The summer version is indeed massive. My dream is to have an out-of-house phase change system as a water chiller, and the in-house solution will be TECs.

·
Premium Member
21,170 Posts
Definitely an awesome result. That 3770K clocks really well too... I was only able to hit 5.80GHz on dry ice (~-70°C) with my chip. LN2 helped for 6.3GHz, though
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post

Definitely an awesome result. That 3770K clocks really well too... I was only able to hit 5.80GHz on dry ice (~-70°C) with my chip. LN2 helped for 6.3GHz, though
biggrin.gif
Yeah, low temps help a lot on Ivy. I also feel like it's a good chip. I have other 3570Ks and they all only hit 5.40 at -40C.
Cannot wait to have my first try on LN2. My pot is under construction:D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Great work foxrena, ultra low temps and superb OC !
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
ooh man , when i see a TEC post ... i wish i could join u guys , with all the custom tec blocks ...

speaking of custom tec blocks :

did u just drew those channels and hope for the best or is there a flow analisis for ? how deep are the "cuts" 3 mm ?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoi View Post

ooh man , when i see a TEC post ... i wish i could join u guys , with all the custom tec blocks ...
speaking of custom tec blocks :
did u just drew those channels and hope for the best or is there a flow analisis for ? how deep are the "cuts" 3 mm ?
To make a nice block you need a CNC mill
smile.gif

The slots are about 0.8mm wide and 2.5mm deep. The channel design is just based on previous tests and some 2D simulation. Not strictly optimized but shouldn't be far. Copper is difficult to cut and I have to consider the time and effort in fabrication when I make the design.

·
Gamer
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

To make a nice block you need a CNC mill
smile.gif

The slots are about 0.8mm wide and 2.5mm deep. The channel design is just based on previous tests and some 2D simulation. Not strictly optimized but shouldn't be far. Copper is difficult to cut and I have to consider the time and effort in fabrication when I make the design.
Man your block is sexy & shiny!!
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

Picture of the TEC block

After I finish my TEC chiller, it will be a three stage cascaded TEC system and there will be much more OC fun!
biggrin.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

That waterblock looks pretty amazing!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

What kind of temps are you getting with warm weather? Load temp with that kind of OC? Can't wait to see what else you do
smile.gif
IIRC, in warm condition (~25C inlet water temperature) with cascaded TECs, the cold plate reaches below -35C with no load and -28C on an idle CPU. I didn't test the load temperature with cascade TECs, because it is not intended to take a big thermal load.

However, I have tested the load temperature with a single TEC. The cold plate was around 0C with 25C water. That's on a 5.1GHz 3770K running Prime95
tongue.gif
. You can see the result here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265022/ivy-bridge-rocks-5-1ghz-prime95-3770k-and-more/0_100

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Awesome ! Great results, esp. for a custom block you had made for yourself ! What sort of cooling do you have for the hot side ?
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

That is very nice!
thumb.gif

I can has 1?
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdesmo View Post

Awesome ! Great results, esp. for a custom block you had made for yourself ! What sort of cooling do you have for the hot side ?
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
Thanks guys! For hot side cooling I have a "water rack" with 1 triple, 2 quads and a D5 pump (see the picture in OP). Not as good as yours gdesmo!
thumb.gif

It's really fun testing it. I am also seriously thinking about making these blocks available. Need more free time though...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts