Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.

I have a new PC and have a problem when running some games (like stalker) and running RTHDRIBL.

Basically there is a weird sound which im not sure if its normal o not! Its sort of like a humming sound or a screeching sound. A little like what the old spectrum used to sound like when loading a game! Not as loud as that obviously, but its the closest sound I can think of to describe it!

Any ideas what this is? Its not the sound you get from fans running. And its only there for some games and not others!

My PC is made up of:

Antec p900 case
E6600 running at 3.01ghz
BFG 8800GTX OC
2GB ram
Xifi extreme gamer sound card

The souud is really annoying! Goes right through you after a while! Its not there when just doing normal stuff in windows etc etc just when you run some games which makes me think its the gfx card, but im not sure if its just a normal thing with the 8800 or not.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
It's your PSU screaming at you for overdrawing it.

The sound is a capacitor that's over Stressed.

Also, welcome to overclock.net.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, but my PSU is a BFG 1000W Next Generation Power Supply!! I trhought that would be fine for even putting 2 gfx cards in never mind 1!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
motherboard is the abit aw9d-max

and i am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Intel approved cooler

edit...I have opened up the case and stuck my ear at it...its quite deceiving where the sound is coming from, but i believe it may be from my PSU...possibly.

But with it being a 1000w PSU i shouldnt get that prob?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yeah it definitely sounds like a whining capacitor. It might not be overstressed, just not flat to the board and therefore is vibrating slightly against the PCB at a very high frequency causing it to "whine"

I find this happens for me sometimes when running certain applications..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its defo not coming from my HDD, the sound isnt on that side.

the noise is in the direction where its either going to be the PSU, or gfx card

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is it safe to take the PSU out your case and run it sitting on your desk? Just so i know for 100% if its coming from that or the gfx card?

edit...keep getting spelling mistakes with this laptop, wont allow me to type quickly lol

edit...

I have now confirmed the noise is coming from my PSU, but its actually an 850W OCZ, I was told i was getting it delivered with a 1000W BFG! They must have run out.

So why would I be getting this from my PSU, 850W shouldbe more than enough to run an e6600, 8800GTX, xifi should it not?

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeballpauluk
View Post

is it safe to take the PSU out your case and run it sitting on your desk? Just so i know for 100% if its coming from that or the gfx card?

edit...keep getting spelling mistakes with this laptop, wont allow me to type quickly lol

You know what?
I just stuck my head in my case and it sure sounds like it's coming from my PSU.
Yeah it's safe to do that with your PSU, would be even better to try another PSU is you have one.
I've got 3 PSU's, so I'm gonna try and eliminate the PSU.
Strange though, I gad a GTS installed last week with no squealing

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
PSU's are bad about it. My Ultra does it with high draw Video (X1900XTX, X1950XT, 7800GTX SLi) cards and when I overclock my CPU too much.

Call whoever you bought it from and tell them you want a refund, that's some BS if they sent you a 850watt when you paid for that 1kw bfg...

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRaDoX View Post
PSU's are bad about it. My Ultra does it with high draw Video (X1900XTX, X1950XT, 7800GTX SLi) cards and when I overclock my CPU too much.

Call whoever you bought it from and tell them you want a refund, that's some BS if they sent you a 850watt when you paid for that 1kw bfg...
You're right, PSU.
I just tried 3 differnt PSU's, ANtec Neo 500watt, Silverstone Decathlon 650 and my Silencer 750.
It is unbelievably loud with the Neo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i have got in contact with the peopll I bought it from and they are sending a courier around tomorrow to pick it up! So that will be me without my PC for a week probably! And i just got signed off work for a week today

but hopefully it will come back with a new PSU, will be annoyed if it doesnt!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
BFG is kinda new to the psu arena, but their customer service is usually pretty good, and they are well known for their warranties. Drop them a line and see if you can get it exchanged via RMA.

***EDIT

Nevermind! It's like you were reading my mind while I was typing

I wonder if you can buy a "replacement", something strong enough to run your rig for the week it will be without the BFG, then return it when you are done. Not the most ethical, but you could tell them you're adding another video card, and the "replacement" wasn't strong enough

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
You're right, PSU.
I just tried 3 differnt PSU's, ANtec Neo 500watt, Silverstone Decathlon 650 and my Silencer 750.
It is unbelievably loud with the Neo.
Careful man. If one of those decides to suicide itself you could be out of a motherboard/video/cpu/memory/drives/computer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421 View Post
BFG is kinda new to the psu arena, but their customer service is usually pretty good, and they are well known for their warranties. Drop them a line and see if you can get it exchanged via RMA.

***EDIT

Nevermind! It's like you were reading my mind while I was typing

I wonder if you can buy a "replacement", something strong enough to run your rig for the week it will be without the BFG, then return it when you are done. Not the most ethical, but you could tell them you're adding another video card, and the "replacement" wasn't strong enough

lol..i was supposed to get the BFG, but it actually came with an OCZ for some reason. But ive told thenm about the noise, and they advised to keep a couple of games/software that makes the noise so they can test it. So its going back tomorrow.

But thanks all for your help, gave me a place to bounce ideas around!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts