Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my results of hunting for a golden cpu (all on an air cooler). I have watercooling gear being delivered tomorrow (proper gear, none of that H100 ***** nonsense
wink.gif
), so I want to make sure I have a chip cabable of reaching 5 Ghz+ underwater.

3770k #1: 4.4 Ghz overclock @ 1.4V. 4.5 slightly unstable. 4.6 Unbootable @1.4V. What a joke.
3770k #2: 4.7 Ghz overclock @ 1.35V. Slightly unstable at 1.30V
3770k #3: 4.7 Ghz wouldn't even get into Windows @ 1.35V
3770k #4: 4.7 Ghz @ 1.25V. Survives burn in test without going over 80C. Haven't gotten into fine tuning or anything to get it lower. This is the winner so far. If I don't get at least 5Ghz with it, then I'm going to buy 2 more 3770k's
smile.gif

#2,3, and 4 were from the same batch #. All 4 were E1 stepping.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hello,

You should buy all 3770k from different stores, maybe then you have higher chance on getting different batch numbers, and possibly more difference in the chips OC's capabilities.

Good luck with finding the ultimate OCer
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

You should buy all 3770k from different stores, maybe then you have higher chance on getting different batch numbers, and possibly more difference in the chips OC's capabilities.
I would (actually I did) take this a step further and I'd buy i5s and i7s, and all from different stores. I imagine you are buying all your 3770ks from microcenter or the same store, so even different locations of store are probably getting similar shipments that are all shared between them.

You are going to take forever to try to overclock each chip. Just 'bin' them. Boot up into windows on [email protected] Then, use a software program in windows and see what's the highest you can take them. 4.6ghz, check, 4.7, check, etc.

My good chip could get up to 5ghz. My bad ones would crash at 4.7, 4.8 in that method.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodloose View Post

What does a "golden 3770K" clock to?
I've seen 4.7 Ghz @ 1.20V reported on other forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Quote:
Hello,

I would (actually I did) take this a step further and I'd buy i5s and i7s, and all from different stores. I imagine you are buying all your 3770ks from microcenter or the same store, so even different locations of store are probably getting similar shipments that are all shared between them.

You are going to take forever to try to overclock each chip. Just 'bin' them. Boot up into windows on [email protected] Then, use a software program in windows and see what's the highest you can take them. 4.6ghz, check, 4.7, check, etc.

My good chip could get up to 5ghz. My bad ones would crash at 4.7, 4.8 in that method.
My method is to set my BIOS up for 4.7 @ 1.25 and then just run through them as fast as possible (using a lot of thermal paste in the process). The ones that don't even get into Windows are obviously bad. The one I'm on now managed to boot at 4.9 Ghz (everything was crashing but it still got to the desktop). That put it ahead of #2 which would BSOD on the Windows logo.

I'm not too concerned about getting different batches, because the silicon speed variation is really on a wafer-wafer level and not lot-lot. The only difference between batches might be you get a batch that was fabbed right after the reticles were cleaned.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It is so much luck based. I Got ultra lucky and found a good one on the first try, know people who gone through 20 before finally settling on a chip.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ I have 2 concerns with delidding. a) Resale. b) Cracking the die when putting down the waterblock. It's very tempting though, because I wouldn't have to use thermal paste with a bare die + mirror finish EK block.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Quote:
My method is to set my BIOS up for 4.7 @ 1.25 and then just run through them as fast as possible (using a lot of thermal paste in the process). The ones that don't even get into Windows are obviously bad. The one I'm on now managed to boot at 4.9 Ghz (everything was crashing but it still got to the desktop). That put it ahead of #2 which would BSOD on the Windows logo.

I'm not too concerned about getting different batches, because the silicon speed variation is really on a wafer-wafer level and not lot-lot. The only difference between batches might be you get a batch that was fabbed right after the reticles were cleaned.
Edited by dr/owned - Today at 2:16 pm
Yes but you want the results to be comparable to other people's. That way you can compare your results to someone who actually has a 5ghz chip.

If I were you, I'd PM all the guys with 5ghz chips on the ivy bridge stable club and the delid club, and ask them how far they can use gigabyte tweaklauncher or software to push their chips when on 1.3v.

You shouldn't be using much thermal paste, a single 1.5tube still has plenty left after 20-30 applications. Given what you are doing, I wouldn't even bother repasting. You only need to repast if temps are an issue, which you always want to be cooler. But since you are just slapping chips around and such, there's no need to really re-apply TIM so you don't get that 5*C temp drop because the paste isn't able to spread out properly because you didn't clean, then reapply. I've gotten much larger temp rises from incorrect or slightly too much paste than from not cleaning off the paste and re-applying.

Delidding will not make a bad chip good. It'll help a good chip stay cool so you can push the higher voltages though.

I don't see how delidding would hurt resale value. People will pay for it who won't care it's delidded, will appreciate it's delidded, or you can just glue it back on. I do believe you still need to use thermal paste even with some mirror finish build. And people have tested no IHS and it's not any appreciable amount cooler than just keeping the IHS on. I wouldn't use no IHS on a delid, I feel like you'd lose good contact if anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.