Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I ordered the gtx series for more coolant capacity. This rad will require med to high speed fans with its high 30 FPI.

Im goig to guess this rad isnt enough for a 990 and a 470 gtx. Stock speeds on both maybe, but I have a feeling both will be high 60's temps. I could also be absolutely wrong. I have my sig cpu on a twin 120 rad by itself. Ill heat it up and see what she does.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born4TheSky
View Post

HW Labs FrozenCPU 60.95

The reason is fitting, for blackbird fitting, I want to run custom loop and I can fit a radiator with a 29mm max height

should it be enough to cover one video card and cpu?

If it's for your sig I'd recommend at least a 360, and if possible a 480. A 240 won't be able to handle the temps at full load.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's for my sig rig, I am currently using this rad for cpu only. The reason I am asking is that HP/Voodoo used to offer one model which was overclocked quad core cpu ~3.4GHz with 280 in sli on that radiator, but something makes me think that it wont be good enough to handle the load.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,809 Posts
Voodoo's watercooling system was really half-assed. I have an omen that I bought back in 2005 and the watercooling job is sub par. They didn't use enough radiators to properly cool it. Temps were barely better than air cooling. It was mostly for looks. The only decent wc job on any of their rigs is the current gen omen, but for $20k it should be.

That hwlabs gt stealth should have no problem with a cpu only loop, but temps will be really lousy if you add ur gpu to it. I'd add at least another 120 to the loop if you plan to add the gpu, even on the rear exhaust fan.

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
When building my system I did a test of my CPU and NB on a single 120mm GTX rad (prolly a little bit less performance that that 240) and under full prime load @ 4Ghz it could not handle all the heat after about 30min.

What you could do is roll that 240 for your CPU, and get a good 120mm that would prolly mount to a fan hole in your case for that GPU.

I have 2 5870's running on the single 120 GTX I mentioned above and full load (24/7 BONIC crunch) ~24C ambient the top card is about 55C and the bottom card is about 47C

Before I had CF a single card on that same rad would never go above ~33C at full load

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion
View Post

Voodoo's watercooling system was really half-assed. I have an omen that I bought back in 2005 and the watercooling job is sub par. They didn't use enough radiators to properly cool it. Temps were barely better than air cooling. It was mostly for looks. The only decent wc job on any of their rigs is the current gen omen, but for $20k it should be.

That hwlabs gt stealth should have no problem with a cpu only loop, but temps will be really lousy if you add ur gpu to it. I'd add at least another 120 to the loop if you plan to add the gpu, even on the rear exhaust fan.

New Omen had 480 rad on the bottom, and all heat was blowing from the bottom to the top... not sure if it's best solution. There is so many things on the way our from the top, so it would block some air, which will generate extra heat from gpus.

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Also, having the 120 for just the GPU would be a second loop.... sorry, forgot to mention this, was my train of thought the whole time.

What I have is an XSPC 750 res/pump combo that takes up 2 drive bays and I have my GPUs in their own loop. Not really that much more $$ though if you have the space in the case. You can get one for about $50 and roll 2 loops. That way that hot CPU can get all the lovin from that 240

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Quote:

View Post

120 just for gpu, but I assume fan will be going 100%

If you get a radiator made for low rpm fans, like one of the stealth rads, then 100% 24/7 is really no big deal as you can barely hear a 1200rpm 120mm fan anyway. If you go with a GTX rad, or something else with a high fin density, then you will need ~1800rpm fans to get the most out of the rad. Those really arn't even that loud though. I have 6 in my case (2 in push pull on my 120 for GPUs) and really not that bad.

Of course you could get a fan controller, and quite them down when not gaming or whatever. You wouldnt need them at 100% 24/7 unless you fold or crunch on that card

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

View Post

120 just for gpu, but I assume fan will be going 100%

If you can fit it, go 240 on the GPU. Much better load temps that way.

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by airplaneman
View Post

If you can fit it, go 240 on the GPU. Much better load temps that way.

A single 120 GTX or Feser rad in push pull will save space and keep that card at 30C full load if not lower
Sure a good 240 might lower it, but is not gonna be that much and 2x the size

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobos223
View Post

A single 120 GTX or Feser rad in push pull will save space and keep that card at 30C full load if not lower
Sure a good 240 might lower it, but is not gonna be that much and 2x the size

You think so?

I've got my CPU and GPU on a 480 rad and the GPU is still hitting mid 40s on full load. I know the 470s run cooler, but that much cooler on a single rad? If that's the case..I need to re-think my loop ha ha.

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You think so?

I've got my CPU and GPU on a 480 rad and the GPU is still hitting mid 40s on full load. I know the 470s run cooler, but that much cooler on a single rad? If that's the case..I need to re-think my loop ha ha.

Only reason I mentioned this is because I ran a single 5870 @ 1000/1250 with heavy volts crunching [email protected] 24/7 last fall on a black ice 120GTX push only and it kept it around 32C.

My current setup I have 2 5870s in CF on the same 120 mm rad, but now with push/pull config. Under 24/7 load, the top card gets up to about 56C and the bottom card is around 46C. Defintiely would like it to be cooler, but still, 56C at that load is wonderful compared to 80-90C on stock cooling

Also, I know the 470s run a bit hot, but still, I really think a thick 120 will do great for you and take up less space

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Only reason I mentioned this is because I ran a single 5870 @ 1000/1250 with heavy volts crunching [email protected] 24/7 last fall on a black ice 120GTX push only and it kept it around 32C.

My current setup I have 2 5870s in CF on the same 120 mm rad, but now with push/pull config. Under 24/7 load, the top card gets up to about 56C and the bottom card is around 46C. Defintiely would like it to be cooler, but still, 56C at that load is wonderful compared to 80-90C on stock cooling

Also, I know the 470s run a bit hot, but still, I really think a thick 120 will do great for you and take up less space

Wow, 56/46 on a 120 is pretty sick man - still cooler/quieter than air too!

Thick =/= better at cooling though, thick usually means a lower fin density so you can use slower fans.

OP, if you are going push/pull on a single 120 for the GPU, I would grab a thin radiator with a high fin density, then use two ~1800-1900 RPM fans in push/pull. That will give you the best temperatures with minimal noise. A thicker rad will allow you to use slower fans, but you won't get the same amount of heat dissipation.

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,692 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Wow, 56/46 on a 120 is pretty sick man - still cooler/quieter than air too!

Hell yea man I can't complain. I have been nothing pleased with the results.

Quote:

View Post

Thick =/= better at cooling though, thick usually means a lower fin density so you can use slower fans.

On some rads perhaps, but the GTX has like 30FPI... I am using 1800rpm 82CFM turbines and they are reasonably quite.

This was original config before crossfire. Load temps @ 1000/1250 32C with just 1 fan

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hell yea man I can't complain. I have been nothing pleased with the results.

On some rads perhaps, but the GTX has like 30FPI... I am using 1800rpm 82CFM turbines and they are reasonably quite.

Hence the usually
ha ha.

Nice system btw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts