Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Since this is after all a brand new $999 processor, we self-imposed a 1.35V-ish maximum during our preliminary overclocking sessions with this processor. With the unlocked multipliers overclocking was obviously a breeze, as we could merely increase the CPU multiplier as needed and adjust the BCLK to extract those last few megahertz.

We were fairly satisfied with our results. Yes, you can get similar clocks at similar voltage from an above-average Core i7 D0, but those tend to run exceedingly hot. Our sample ran fairly cool, peaking in the low 70C's during LinX. Furthermore, we suspect that we have a relatively early sample since ours was manufactured in 2009 while all the other i7-980X were made in 2010. Combine this with the fact that Intel's review sample E.S chips are never really great overclockers, and I'm willing to go on a limb and say that the retail processors will be able to achieve a solid 150-200Mhz more than our sample at similar voltage.

LINK TO OC RESULTS

There are now many sites with reviews of the upcoming 980x but Hardware Canucks had some interesting overclocking info.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Wow, no turbo boost. Oh well, at least we can overclock it far as hell

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Wow, no turbo boost. Oh well, at least we can overclock it far as hell

The chip definately has turbo!

LINK

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCz View Post
The chip definately has turbo!

LINK

Quote:
Furthermore, we are a little disappointed that Gulftown doesn't feature Lynnfield's more aggressive Turbo Boost implementation. Having said that, we understand that it was likely a requirement in order to stay within the 130W TDP limit.

EDIT: Oh my god, look at how fast it transcodes x264 video

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
I guess that intel is really serious about competin with itself.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Actually, clock-for-clock and core-for-core there's no difference with Bloomfield. I think this caters more to enthusiasts who benchmark or people like me who do a lot of video encoding and number-crunching, rather than gaming.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

Actually, clock-for-clock and core-for-core there's no difference with Bloomfield. I think this caters more to enthusiasts who benchmark or people like me who do a lot of video encoding and number-crunching, rather than gaming.

I dont think that is entirely true. The 980x has 12MB cache (at a slightly higher latency) wich would give it an advantage in most things compared clock for clock, core for core with a 920.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Not to mention the significantly lower temps. If it's only tapping 70c on linx at 4.4Ghz on air, that's quite a bit better than a 920, and thus more headroom. My 920 hits that Ghz/temp ratio on h20 w/ a 360 rad in p/p.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by benyu
View Post

can anyone edit this title to [HWC]? Just had to say it because they should deserve the best recognition for the top review site

Fixed

·
PC Evangelist
46,962 Posts
It looks like the extra L3 doesn't make much difference and 6-cores are not really needed.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilGear44 View Post
32nm quads pleeeease!
From what I've heard, Intel won't be coming out with 32nm quads until PCIe 3.0 is out.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
It looks like the extra L3 doesn't make much difference and 6-cores are not really needed.
Because everyone uses their rigs for exactly the same thing you do.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Holy shamoly that is fast! Wicked high clock speed to. If only I had a thousand dollars I could throw, or rather "invest" in such a kick ass processor. Its good too that the temps on it were really low compared to the D0 i7. Obviously intel's 32nm yields are not only functional, but they must have their leakage very well under control.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This looks to be one great processor. I always enjoy seeing innovation such as this, even if the product is out of my price range. These sort of things eventually trickle down.

I noticed the article mentioned that someone put N2 on it and cranked out 6GHz... insane.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.