Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doing research on this, i keep getting a lot of stuff on weed, dont need to know that =) but anythign else

Hydroponics Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What plants are grown the most using hydroponics?

Why is hydroponics used over conventional ways of growing plants?

What are some inexpensive ways that we can set up a hydroponics experiment in our classroom?

List at least 10 variables that our class could test using a hydroponics system.

What plants could we use in the classroom to experiment with, in regards to hydroponics?

Start to design an experiment for hydroponics. Remember that each group can only use one variable. With your experiment in mind, use the scientific method to help develop your experiment.

As a class, come up with the conditions that you would want to use as a control group for the hydroponics experiment.

How and what will you measure your independent variable. List 5 possibilities.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any info would be great im doing google but if you can find anythign else thad be great

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by apgfeb14
doing research on this, i keep getting a lot of stuff on weed, dont need to know that =) but anythign else

Hydroponics Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What plants are grown the most using hydroponics?
Leafy vegetables, beans, tomatoes

Why is hydroponics used over conventional ways of growing plants?
The water and nutrients can be readily recycled and controlled. No dirt or land is required. In space, this is especially useful

What are some inexpensive ways that we can set up a hydroponics experiment in our classroom?
You have to sprout the seeds using damp cloth. Then transfer the sprouts to an egg carton or a shallow dish (filled with water and a liquid nitrate food source) with cardboard to hold the sprouts.

List at least 10 variables that our class could test using a hydroponics system.
1) Sprouting time
2) Percent of seeds that sprout
3) Quantity of light the sprouts require
4) The amount of time the sprouts need to be in the light
5) The speed in inches the sprouts grow
6) The mixture of nitrate Vs water
7) You figure out the rest

What plants could we use in the classroom to experiment with, in regards to hydroponics?
Regular bean sprouts

Start to design an experiment for hydroponics. Remember that each group can only use one variable. With your experiment in mind, use the scientific method to help develop your experiment.

See the questions above and deduce the experiment yourself

As a class, come up with the conditions that you would want to use as a control group for the hydroponics experiment.
See the 1-10 questions above...some of them make excellent conditions

How and what will you measure your independent variable. List 5 possibilities.
Again, use the ten questions above to determine the answer
See my suggestions in bold

• Rep+
Reactions: apgfeb14

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
That's a lot of questions and I must admit my scientific method is a bit dusty.
Get 6 fish tanks, same amount of water. 6 thermometers
You will need a constant...I would use either type of water (distilled) or room temperature...you can even reach as far as plant type.
Hydroponics is going to depend on the mineral content in the H20 (seeding like clouds or plant food).
If you plan on having too many variables it may take a vast amount of time and resources to record all the data accurately.
See now you got me thinking all Mr. Wizard...LOL

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Nice suggestions so far

Also remember you need to have a "control" sample otherwise your data will not be valid (nothing to compare it to)

Remember like overclocking, only change one variable at a time otherwise you wont know what causes the change

1 - 5 of 5 Posts