Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw another thread a guy posted about keeping a refurb'd console cool. I have one of the original consoles, manufacture date is liek 2006 on this thang. 203watt Power Supply and everything. It runs nice and hot, and loves to show me it's Red Ring of Death. Tried the X-Clamp delete mod, would still RRoD occasionally.

Anyone want to send me another Hyper 212+ to throw on the GPU?

th_20120119_150429.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
From my experience you'd probably be way better off using the hyper212 on the gpu instead of the cpu. Put the old heatsink back on the cpu. See if it doesn't rrod as frequently. But if you can find another 212 for the gpu that would be cool. Didn't know it fit.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
This makes me want to keep mine just so I can do that (and other mods) when it breaks, but I never play it and I need the money D:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finding the TDP of either chip is difficult - I can't find anything about them.

So I just assumed, based on the size of the OEM heatsinks (Picture), that the CPU had greater TDP. Using my hand thermometer, the heatsink used to get scalding hot on the CPU, and it's barely even warm on the GPU.

I believe that it could be cooled passively with two Hyper212's. The one on the Xbox was displaced from my PC when I upgraded to a NH-D14.

This Xbox has seen a lot, and it has been a ton of fun, too.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That's pretty cool, I was the guy who started the thread about refurbed machine, I actually ended up buying a new 4gb model.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockThePylon View Post

Good call.
My friend has a Xbox360 Slim. It's so small and quiet, I love it. I'm truly jelly.
Well why don't you swap him? The coolers worth more then the xbox
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Do you think if this was done with a TX3(Link below), you wouldn't have to have extensions on the capacitors? or is the TX3 still too wide?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064
Just checked the dimensions on the CM website and it looks like it would hit the capacitors just like the Hyper212+. The heatpipes stick out too wide from the base.

Just FYI, throwing the capacitors up on little legs wasn't very difficult. Just need a soldering iron that gets hot enough. Mine didn't, so I had to use a propane torch to heat the soldering iron on top of being plugged in.

It was fun for me, but I can see it being very stressful if your Xbox is important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

i have a spare hyper 612 pwm
Haaaaaaaaaaa! Dude, that thing would be ridiculous on a 360! I'd throw the Hyper212 on the GPU, the Hyper612 on the CPU, and then it would be set for fully passive operation!

EDIT: Motherboard layout thoughts;
You could probably get away without modifying the capacitors with a heatsink like the Noctua NH-C12P (Although mounting would be a challenge). Something with a very narrow base. You have an area roughly 6cm squared to fit into until you're above the capacitors.

These are the capacitors I had to move.
th_360moboXenon.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Quote:

Haaaaaaaaaaa! Dude, that thing would be ridiculous on a 360! I'd throw the Hyper212 on the GPU, the Hyper612 on the CPU, and then it would be set for fully passive operation!
that would gonna be awesome!

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

Just checked the dimensions on the CM website and it looks like it would hit the capacitors just like the Hyper212+. The heatpipes stick out too wide from the base.
Just FYI, throwing the capacitors up on little legs wasn't very difficult. Just need a soldering iron that gets hot enough. Mine didn't, so I had to use a propane torch to heat the soldering iron on top of being plugged in.
It was fun for me, but I can see it being very stressful if your Xbox is important to you.
EDIT: Motherboard layout thoughts;
You could probably get away without modifying the capacitors with a heatsink like the Noctua NH-C12P (Although mounting would be a challenge). Something with a very narrow base. You have an area roughly 6cm squared to fit into until you're above the capacitors.
These are the capacitors I had to move.
th_360moboXenon.jpg
Hmm what dimensions does it need to be to fit without having to mess with the capacitors? I'm super lazy and don't want to mess with the whole soldering thing if I end up doing something like this
thumb.gif

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Hmm what dimensions does it need to be to fit without having to mess with the capacitors? I'm super lazy and don't want to mess with the whole soldering thing if I end up doing something like this
thumb.gif
The square area outlined by the mounting holes is approx. 6cm. There should be lots of heatsinks that will fit in that space. The challenge would be mounting it. The Hyper212 has a simple and wide open base - made mounting a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpak12 View Post

You guys should go with watercooling!
tongue.gif
You have no idea how badly I want to. But maaaan, that's a huge chunk of change to drop on an Xbox.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote:

You have no idea how badly I want to. But maaaan, that's a huge chunk of change to drop on an Xbox.
Yeah, I just happened to be browsing frozen cpu when I spotted this thread and thought I'd share.
smile.gif
It would be pretty sick to see though. It might have been worth it back when 360s were selling for $500 and dropping like flies from RRODs.
rolleyes.gif

Great job with the Hyper 212 idea though.
thumb.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts