Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow, I made this thread almost 3 months ago and im still getting rep
I was just going to let it go but, but if people are still interested, I could do some more benchies? Like L4D2, Metro2033, Bad Company 2, and Borderlands?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post
I was just going to let it go but, but if people are still interested, I could do some more benchies? Like L4D2, Metro2033, Bad Company 2, and Borderlands?
PLZ DO L4D2 and BC2 PLZZ!!!!
i have this paged bookmarked lols

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice benchies

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those vantage scores are interesting! I would leave HT on IMO, but I also use virtual pc running linux, windows server, and xp while in windows 7. I dont know that it actually makes a difference but im assuming it does. I love being able to play Starcraft 2 while I have vpc or photoshop on a second monitor!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post
Great job, MrLinky! If it wouldn't be too much to ask for, could you please do a benchmark for World of Warcraft. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you! +Rep

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
great thread. I just turn off ht and my temps drops about 12c which is great. My loads temps are now 67c vs 78c with ht on. Im gonna keep this feature off for a while. I also drop the vcore to 1.28v

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
These results should be predictable really.

The application is either going to use the extra logical CPU's or it isn't. If it doesn't, then it won't benefit from the extra logical CPU's. It's more about what the application in question is coded for and not so much if you have HT on or off. As long as you aren't reaching 100% usage across all cores you should get the max performance possible from a given CPU with a given clock speed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinky;9166255
biggrin.gif
Don't the devs claim that Assassin's Creed 2 was threaded for up to 16 or something like that??

Would be a good game to test if you're offering
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
451 Posts
seeing as we're closer to ivy bridge now. maybe you should run some of the latest games to see what the results are? like the new alice game, dirt 3, brink, and crysis 2??

if i owned any of them I would run the test myself for you and post it here. If you don't have time I might just be able to do that...haha

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any chance you could do a test with an RTS game where theres a lot of AI? preferably starcraft 2 of shogun 2 total war if you have them (or if theres a benchmark i don't know of)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think modern games just max out at 4 cores usage.......I'd be interested in seeing what a 2 core/4 thread vs. 2 core/2 thread would result in. Perhaps by disabling half your cores then comparing with HT on and off?

One game I could see possibly benefiting from the 4 core/8 thread would be world of warcraft, can you bench that perhaps?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothrpe View Post

I think modern games just max out at 4 cores usage.......I'd be interested in seeing what a 2 core/4 thread vs. 2 core/2 thread would result in. Perhaps by disabling half your cores then comparing with HT on and off?
One game I could see possibly benefiting from the 4 core/8 thread would be world of warcraft, can you bench that perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom55520 View Post

i was wondering, can you disable 2 cores and run HT on HT off benchies? i'd love you long time.
Same here. 4 cores are enough for every game right now. Now when extra real core or logical are available there is no workload on them.
It would be interesting to see comparison between 2 core ht off vs 2 core ht on , on a game which can use more than 2 core.
This way there will be a load on the logical cores and we will be able to see how they perform.

Anyway awesome work , proves that 4 core is enough for gaming . +REP !

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
To all of the recent posts: I'm happy you find my work helpful, but I don't own the setup used for these benchmarks anymore (and new tests wouldn't be comparable).

For those interested in the 2 core/ 4 thread performance; I remember someone else did just such as test, although it wasn't focused on gaming. I will edit this post when I find said tests.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts