Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
What are the specs of it?
Instead of blowing it up, why not make use of it?
Make a file server, SSH server, linux box, tons of uses.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;13103822
What are the specs of it?
Instead of blowing it up, why not make use of it?
Make a file server, SSH server, linux box, tons of uses.
I assume its going to be some intel p4 with 512mb.

I meant "dont suggest blowing it up" sorry. What is a "linux box"? I think I am going to use it as a file server but I dont think id use it as much as i would.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
What a Riddle, How to Destroy it without using explosives or my hand or any hand i control......

Casually poor Gasoline (Or any other flammable liquid) around the computer and very casually light a match, drop it, and walk away without looking at it. Because we all know that cool guys don't look at explosions.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarbamf;13103844
Force it to fold!
ninja.gif

Otherwise Craigslist will probably get you around $100 for it.
im sure it doesn't have a video card, even if it does, it would get 500pd most. Plus electric bill would increase for such little points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm;13103863
Drag it behind your car?
I think i will hook it up to my truck.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaseballboy1234;13103837
I assume its going to be some intel p4 with 512mb.

I meant "dont suggest blowing it up" sorry. What is a "linux box"? I think I am going to use it as a file server but I dont think id use it as much as i would.
Run linux on it. From there you can do many different things.
Or make a FreeNAS or a UnRAID box for storage off your local drives.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sexybastard
View Post

Do what I did

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...completed.html

Had already pulled up your thread and copied the link. This is a great use of an old dell. I am thinking of doing it myself. Other than that, I dont know what to do with it other than sell it locally. Maybe give it away in the freebies section??

·
Registered
712 Posts
depending on how old it is.. it's likely going to be a huge energy hog and noisy .... so the best thing to do with it is get rid of it. a modern desktop for $300 or so will easily outperform an old server and probably use less electricity to run. For example, a Q6600 desktop computer can be had for $300 or so and it will easily outperform my dual Xeon Prescott based server. Not only that, the SATA drives, low voltage memory, and lower TDP CPUs will draw less power and waste less power. Compare that to the 150W TDP of the old Prescott Xeons, the 15K RPM SCSI drives, etc...

so, no joke... get rid of it...

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlo
View Post

What a Riddle, How to Destroy it without using explosives or my hand or any hand i control......

Casually poor Gasoline (Or any other flammable liquid) around the computer and very casually light a match, drop it, and walk away without looking at it. Because we all know that cool guys don't look at explosions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts