Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH! Words cannot describe my terrible feelings toward my rut in life. I go to college online, and for the next year I am living with my parents until I am done. Then the Army gets to give me a home.

You see, I am a hardcore gamer with all three of the best online gaming systems- 360, PS3, PC. I have upgraded to the fastest possible router, gold plated ethernet cables, and super short cords where applicable. I am using a 27" 1ms response monitor. I run my 360 on VGA @ 1366x768, and I use my Turtle Beach for sound. I am doing everything in my power to have a connection advantage.

Problem: My folks have AT&T for their ISP. Great, but there is not access to their "U-verse" 24Mbps connection here. The maximum speed they provide is 6Mbps!!! ****!!! All of the guys I play Gears 3 with have a connection of around 50-75Mbps. I am getting the shaft here. What can I honestly do? Is paying for seperate internet the only way?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey,just be glad they don't have"dial-up" like my in-laws do.If you want faster intenet gaming speeds,get a separate isp.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishinfan
View Post

Hey,just be glad they don't have"dial-up" like my in-laws do.If you want faster intenet gaming speeds,get a separate isp.

Well, damn. Any ideas on a good provider for Joplin, MO?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
That speed is probably not going to limit you, no? I had the same thing before I moved, and I was mostly satisfied with it. Your friends likely have cable, which is faster, but those speeds are redundant for gaming. Ping and other stuff will matter more. I never had many issues with those things when I had it, but I didn't play all too competitively or anything.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Down here in NZ, 13MB/S is crazy fast. Usually it is only around 2-3. I have about 10MB/S though, because we live in a popular area near an exchange. STOP CRYING!

EDIT: Didnt mean this^^ to be harsh or anything. just joking.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:/ You guys are pooping in my cocoa puffs. My ping is not bad at all, but I can't host games with my current bandwidth.

·
How many volts!?
3,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FightingEdge
View Post

Well, damn. Any ideas on a good provider for Joplin, MO?

Hey, I live in Joplin too! xD

But the 50Mg connection from CableOne is only $45.

So, if you can fork out the $45 for that, it's totally worth it my friend. Even their 10Mg (Which I have) is very nice.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

View Post

:/ You guys are pooping in my cocoa puffs. My ping is not bad at all, but I can't host games with my current bandwidth.

That is a load of crap. Sorry, don't mean to be a douche, but If I can host a game of 12 in Black Ops with a 3mbps/1mbps connection, you shouldn't have a problem hosting anything.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SacredChaos
View Post

That is a load of crap. Sorry, don't mean to be a douche, but If I can host a game of 12 in Black Ops with a 3mbps/1mbps connection, you shouldn't have a problem hosting anything.

You lost all credibility because you play Black Ops. I'm kidding.

It's not that I "can't" host games, but I have problems with lag when I get too many.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

View Post

TBH, I haven't played Black Ops in a while lol. Been playing Gears 3 a ton, waiting on BF3 and MW3.

BTW, what is your upload bandwidth?

I just did www.myspeedtestonline.com and it said 577kbps for upload.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I just did www.myspeedtestonline.com and it said 577kbps for upload.

That would be the reason you cant hos't. Hosting games requires a decent upload. My upload is 829kbps. Which would be why I could host games (not the best, but decent), and you can't really. When hosting games, all the data is essentially sent to your Xbox and sent back out to everyone, so since you are sending info back out to everyone in the game, you need a good upload to send it out quickly and efficiently. Now if you are playing on dedicated servers or someone else is hosting, you should be fine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

View Post

That would be the reason you cant hos't. Hosting games requires a decent upload. My upload is 829kbps. Which would be why I could host games (not the best, but decent), and you can't really. When hosting games, all the data is essentially sent to your Xbox and sent back out to everyone, so since you are sending info back out to everyone in the game, you need a good upload. Now if you are playing on dedicated servers or someone else is hosting, you should be fine.

I am also running off of my laptop across the house... That may have something to do with it. I'm sure my xbox is doing a lot better through the ethernet connection.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If I remember right, the 6Mb/s package generally has a ~1Mb/s upload, at least I always had about that much on mine when I tested it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Garnet
View Post

If I remember right, the 6Mb/s package generally has a ~1Mb/s upload, at least I always had about that much on mine when I tested it.

Like I said, the wireless across the house is probably a lot different. I'll see what the wired is like when I can.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plugged in the good ole desktop to get 893Kbps, then I plugged it in directly through the modem and got 901Kbps. I want more than this. It bothers me. I would like double that at least....

Sorry, I meant modem!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
ok you said gold plated Ethernet cables but what kind of Ethernet cables cat 5 cat5e cat6

the color of the metal means nothing.. also what router are you using do you run a switch in line how long is the cable and what modem do you have from att.

you up seems right for dsl though. I would look into w/e cable provider you have in the area time Warner comcast or road runner and see what they offer im sure it will be 10x faster twice the price though

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
View Post

ok you said gold plated Ethernet cables but what kind of Ethernet cables cat 5 cat5e cat6

the color of the metal means nothing.. also what router are you using do you run a switch in line how long is the cable and what modem do you have from att.

you up seems right for dsl though. I would look into w/e cable provider you have in the area time Warner comcast or road runner and see what they offer im sure it will be 10x faster twice the price though

Cat6 (Cat7 ordered)
This router
1ft cables on a clusterd pile of a desk
Terrible SpeedStream modem

1 - 20 of 43 Posts