Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a laptop, I am after something decent but it does not need to be uber powerful or anything, mostly internet, word processing, online games such as evony, simple things, I kinda would like it to have vista, I am just sick of the XP computer I have to use for work.

I am looking to spend around 600 or less, and probably buy it from best buy, I may even go down there tonight.

any suggestions

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: dmbjohn

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
This is at BB so if in stock can pick up. Advantage over the NewEgg one. C2D vs PDC, 4GB RAM vs 3GB, 320GB HDD vs 250, It has a discrete GPU vs IGP. This could even almost do some decent gaming. This is $549 and I am actually shocked Discrete graphics at this price. Also it has 16:10 screen ratio, link.

This is the same as the Gateway but IGP, 16:9 screen ratio. It is a DeLL? link.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I looked at the 3 you linked. While they are fine the discrete GPU on the Gateway I linked crushes all. If you just run business type applications fine but if you even do a little gaming the Gateway wins.

Of course build and feel matter, also looks. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really know very little about laptop graphics, but a discrete chip no matter what you have makes good sence to me. I am just not fimilar with the finer things as it pertains to a laptop. so the dell is at the bottom of the list, I have used a similar Vaio and it was fine, all four company's make a nice product, and as you said build and feel matter, and that they do, I will have to go check them out and see what I like the best.

where does wireless N come in to play? would it improve distance from source over the G? my home network is wired and thats how thats staying for now but I am wondering about the wireless ability for when I go else where.

I also imagine a white computer is hard to keep clean

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Wireless N as I understand has greater range and greater bandwidth. While it is an improvement I know people need to decide is it better for them. Because it is free of course get it on your notebook.

The GPU on the Gateway is 100% more of a GPU for $549. Will it matter for you? I don't know. But since notebooks cannot be upgraded buy it it now.

Edit: Western Michigan? Is there really a Kalama-zoo?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks for the help

I like to think not, but sadly yes there really is a Kalama-zoo. Kzoo

Edit: the gateway is an online only item, at least thats how BB lists it. and would not arrive for a week. I was hoping to get something to take with me on vacation this weekend, short notice I know but, yea even if I went with the fastest shipping option it might not be here till Thursday and I am leaving Thursday morning really early. it looks like the gateway may be out but I will still think about it!

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
I would say go with the Gateway linked above or the Asus. Both are very solid performers with about the same specs. I wouldn't go with the Vaio, every single Vaio lappy I have come across has had horrible problems.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard the same thing form a few friends I saw today as well about the vaio's , I am not a huge sony fan either so thats out. I am just gonna have to go look and see what I like, but at least now I have an idea of what I would like

thanks
all

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
leaning toward intel partly because I am fimilar with ow intel things work, partly because they seem cooler to me, in terms of heat out put, not awesomeness

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so it looks like I will be returning this netbook, I believe the hard drive has some issues, it just stops some times and nothing happens a complete lock up, plus the drive made an awful sound the other night,

so I am thinking of spending more money and maybe getting something larger and more powerful, partly because I do not want XP on it what ever it is.

·
Registered
345 Posts
ITS NOT CALLED A ****ING LAPPY.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

makes me rage so bad when people end a word in "y" to shorten it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts