Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get about 21k+ GPU score at vantage with stock clocks which is normal. I OC'ed it to 900/1200 with 1.125v and I got about 24k at vantage. I am not even close 88fps people get on vantage gpu test.

I have seen many people are reaching close to 30k with 900/1200 but I barely get 2k score boost. I dont get this

I have tried with more vcore by setting it to 1.150v but nothing changed.

I have 10.3 drivers installed.

I got my waterblock but I am debating whether I shud install it or try to RMA the card. I really dont know what wud be the reason to RMA though.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
thats a bummer to hear.. my 5850s get about 28k if i remember correctly.

i wish i could help you out and figure out what it is. but unfortunately i cant. have you posted in the 5970 owners thread?

maybe try and uninstall drivers again and then reinstall?
10.3's are the right drivers to choose so stick with those.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by badger6021
View Post

maybe your 5970 needs a i7 920 to make it fly.

That'd be a start. That is a lot GPU horsepower there, it could be holding you back perhaps.

Or just throw in a phys-x card. That'll inflate your numbers nicely. I get well over 35k. haha.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
An i7 will bench better, but in games, phenom IIs actually perform the same or better IF the resolution is high, and there is AA/AF.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nseaton1
View Post

Or just throw in a phys-x card. That'll inflate your numbers nicely. I get well over 35k. haha.

Yeah STI, it's looking like your Phenom is bottlenecking that beast. If you want to unleash this thing, you'll probably have to go i7 @ over 4ghz.

Then again, doesn't your setup just about rape everything out there currently? If all you're after is Vantage scores... go i7. If not, go game!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

An i7 will bench better, but in games, phenom IIs actually perform the same or better IF the resolution is high, and there is AA/AF.

This is spot on...if you wanted to hit the numbers in synthetic benchmarks to show off and boast about then maybe you should have went with intel

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Yup ... Performance mode in Vantage can easily get bottlenecked by CPU (meaning the GPU score is affected) when you have a lot of graphics power, which you do. When that test came out it was designed for the new DX10 hardware at the time like the 8800GTX. You now have like 4x that much power.

You won't see such bottlenecks if you run an appropriate test for your hardware (Performance is 1280x1024, 0xAA, medium settings ... which is not appropriate for a 5970). Try running Heaven in DX11 with Tessellation and AA at a high resolution and you'll find you are right up with the i7 scores. Running Vantage in Extreme mode will also remove the bottleneck. Most games will also show little or no bottlenecking either provided you run them at high settings.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs
View Post

This is spot on...if you wanted to hit the numbers in synthetic benchmarks to show off and boast about then maybe you should have went with intel

Should have gone. You gotta use the Past Participle, not the Simple Past.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne
View Post

Should have gone. You gotta use the Past Participle, not the Simple Past.

But "Went with the Wind" was a classic!

• Rep+
Reactions: PanicProne

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Yup ... Performance mode in Vantage can easily get bottlenecked by CPU (meaning the GPU score is affected) when you have a lot of graphics power, which you do. When that test came out it was designed for the new DX10 hardware at the time like the 8800GTX. You now have like 4x that much power.

You won't see such bottlenecks if you run an appropriate test for your hardware (Performance is 1280x1024, 0xAA, medium settings ... which is not appropriate for a 5970). Try running Heaven in DX11 with Tessellation and AA at a high resolution and you'll find you are right up with the i7 scores. Running Vantage in Extreme mode will also remove the bottleneck. Most games will also show little or no bottlenecking either provided you run them at high settings.

Thank you for everyone's response. I have tried 5970 owners thread and they were no help, that is why I posted here.

Here is my heaven result with stock clocks. To me they are still low:

I am at 3.9ghz with my CPU. It still not enough for the GPU?

Edit: I got 955 c3 which hit 4.2ghz so I will be over 4ghz once I install it. Wud that help?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanderson
View Post

thats a bummer to hear.. my 5850s get about 28k if i remember correctly.

i wish i could help you out and figure out what it is. but unfortunately i cant. have you posted in the 5970 owners thread?

maybe try and uninstall drivers again and then reinstall?
10.3's are the right drivers to choose so stick with those.

I did reinstall the drivers and it didnt do anything

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It's not going to be enough if you need little synthetic benchmarks to tell you our system is better or just as good as any other system

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
what a pointless Grammar Correction...

I certainly do not suggest you worry about the Bench Scores, but sicne you do, as they are saying the speed of the Proc is mos tlikely the culprit here.

Unfortunatley AMD just doesnt care about Benchmarking lol

Should have Gone with the Intel, and Went with the Wind

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Have a look in my sig for a good article about CPU bottle necks. There is a lot of false opinion out there.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If you want to do an experiment, lower the clock on your cpu to 3400 MHz and see how it impacts vantage. This will give you a definite answer.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for those who thinks my CPU is the culprit please look at my Heaven score and comment please.
Is it an average score for 5970 at 1920x1080 16xanisotropy and 4xaa?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

If you want to do an experiment, lower the clock on your cpu to 3400 MHz and see how it impacts vantage. This will give you a definite answer.

I will go ahead try this as soon as I get home.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sti-06
View Post

Thank you for everyone's response. I have tried 5970 owners thread and they were no help, that is why I posted here.

Here is my heaven result with stock clocks. To me they are still low:

I am at 3.9ghz with my CPU. It still not enough for the GPU?

Edit: I got 955 c3 which hit 4.2ghz so I will be over 4ghz once I install it. Wud that help?

Seriously, that is like exactly what I get on the same test with my cards at stock clocks.

Your setup is fine. Don't worry about Vantage performance mode. It's a joke of a test for a 5970. You'd never game at 1280x1024 0xAA w/medium settings anyways.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts