Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the hardware is decent for sure, and I like a lot of things about honeycomb 3.1 (my only other experience with Android is 2.2).

I'll start off with Likes/dislikes, and then general questions at the end.

-I know it's been over-said A LOT, but I like the fact that it has flash support. I can watch flash videos in-browser just fine, even HD videos play just fine (though there is the few-and-far-between glitch in the browser
-I like Skyfire browser because it allows the user to view web pages in the normal "desktop" format PROPERLY (note--the stock browser doesn't always do it properly, even with the about:debug tweak).
-Video playback is great with mobo player (played a 720p mkv fine, except it lacked audio, something I have to troubleshoot, but the playback was butter smooth).
-Navigation of the OS is easy, and with file-browser app add-ons, you can navigate the file system easily, storing data, etc. Use of the OS is pretty intuitive
-Asus cloud app comes integrated with the Splashtop app (unfortunately I didn't realize that before I purchased Splashtop HD...
doh.gif
)
-Browser response is fairly quick and snappy--much better than on my 2.2 phone, that's for sure.

Dislikes:
-A little heavier than I'd like, though it's still practical and easy to hold and use
-Proprietary data/charging cable connector
-No regular USB port on the tablet itself (not really a big deal)
-So little app support for Honeycomb 3.1. I am missing the following:
Netflix, Hulu, Slacker Radio, basic apps like the amazon.com store, etc.
-While the OS does feel smooth and fairly well refined, I notice that quite a few popular apps are still buggy--Skyfire for one...

Questions:
1. SPLASHTOP. How in the world are people claiming smooth performance when using Splashtop to remote to their computer(s)?! I've connected on two of my home computers (one is my HTPC in my sig, the other is my desktop which runs XP) and they both lag like crazy! I can't watch any videos--whether streaming or playing directly from the hard drive--without significant lag. Mouse movement is pretty slow to track as well. Maybe I should make a thread for this question itself.

2. Netflix and Hulu workarounds. No native support for these on the TF yet, and I tried Splashtop, but I prefer not having to remote into my other computers to do this. I briefly googled it, but I'm curious if anyone here has any info on practical work-arounds. I understand that primarily these services haven't released a supported app because of DRM issues (the hardware should be plenty to keep up with the videos). I think we're SOL on these points for now.

3. Polaris office and google docs integration. First, does anyone have much experience in Polaris office? I only opened it briefly to look around. I don't plan to use it much (since I didn't get the dock/keyboard--yet...), but I'm wondering how it matches up with, say, MS Office. Also, are there any compatibility remedies between the two? For example, importing/exporting MS Office formats? This last question really isn't a big deal.

Thanks OCN!
grouphug.gif

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Regarding Splashtop, I have never experienced significant slowdown even when playing HD videos and playing PC games. You might have to connect to your PC using the same WiFi connection it is currently in. I've heard using different internet connections for the client computer and the tablet will have some problems.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet
View Post

Regarding Splashtop, I have never experienced significant slowdown even when playing HD videos and playing PC games. You might have to connect to your PC using the same WiFi connection it is currently in. I've heard using different internet connections for the client computer and the tablet will have some problems.

Thanks for the response! Sadly, I'm already using the same home network connection for all of the devices when using splashtop.
I'll continue reading--have also posted a question re. this splashtop lag in more android-centered forums, and am hoping for a response there. No luck yet!

Are you using an android device, or an apple device?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I use Android devices, mainly the Desire HD and ASUS Transformer. Are you the provided Splashtop app? Try getting Splashtop HD from the Market.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Splashtop works great for me! The touch could be better but no lag here.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet;14184002
I use Android devices, mainly the Desire HD and ASUS Transformer. Are you the provided Splashtop app? Try getting Splashtop HD from the Market.
I've tried both the MyCloud app AND the Splashtop HD app--both are laggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777th;14186124
Splashtop works great for me! The touch could be better but no lag here.
Darn. Guess I'm the only person ever to experience lag like this with splashtop. Maybe it's time to go tweaking about in the router...

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
guyladouche..you reported that you can play 720 MKV with no problem. Can you tell me if you are able to access the MKV media that may be stored on a PC or external hard drive ? Can it (MKV) be played on the device from an external drive source or do you have to download the files to get them on the device?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyb
View Post

guyladouche..you reported that you can play 720 MKV with no problem. Can you tell me if you are able to access the MKV media that may be stored on a PC or external hard drive ? Can it (MKV) be played on the device from an external drive source or do you have to download the files to get them on the device?

I've only tried playback of a file on the tablet's internal memory (my mem card is still in the mail
). I have a media server on my router--I can throw a mkv on that, and then try to play it via the "My Net" app that comes on the TF (it allows for streaming of network-based files) if you'd like? I can try that this evening and report back. Feel free to bug me with a PM if I forget to respond in this thread. I can tell you that I've played back regular SD .avi files with no issue via my media server on my router through the "My Net" app.

I don't have the dock, so I can't test playback directly from a USB stick.

I like to use Moboplayer as my media playback device, if that helps?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'm actually looking to buy a Asus Transformer myself, for college. The only thing the worries me is the lack of support for Honeycomb. However, I guess that will come in time, but how soon? Soon enough before the release of better hardware (Tegra 3)? I don't want to buy a Transformer now and a few months later before actually getting better support for Honeycomb (native apps), new and better hardware comes out. What are your opinions?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznboy1993;14193924
I'm actually looking to buy a Asus Transformer myself, for college. The only thing the worries me is the lack of support for Honeycomb. However, I guess that will come in time, but how soon? Soon enough before the release of better hardware (Tegra 3)? I don't want to buy a Transformer now and a few months later before actually getting better support for Honeycomb (native apps), new and better hardware comes out. What are your opinions?
I think those are very valid points. If the tab is going to be your only personal computer device, you're better off going with a net book for the price. It all comes down to what you expect. I already have a personal laptop and a work laptop, so working on the go isn't my concern for a tab. My main use is portable media entertainment and general web browsing, which it does fine. And not having to deal with my small iPod touch screen for watching videos while traveling for work. Other than hardware decoding of Ac3 audio in 720p HD movies (the actual video plays butter smooth with hardware decoding), this thing will do all I hope to get out of a tablet for portable media (minus netfix and hulu at the moment). While it does have 'productivity' apps stock like Polaris office, I would not consider it to be a productivity device for a full time student, and definitely not an adequate replacement for a laptop/net book running windows at the same price. But it's a pretty good toy, and the longer I've played with it, the more I like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts