Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking for feedback regarding the pre-built. Trying to determine the stuff I will need to change.

In terms of specs: 10700KF, 16GB RAM, RTX 3080. 750W power supply 1 TB SSD and 1 TB mechanical drive. Asus Z490 chipset motherboard.

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool and cstkl1

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the good news is that the RTX 3080 is not a reference card (the store told me it would be). It's a TUF style 3 fan model.

The bad news (and there is a fair bit)

The RAM is a single stick of 16GB DDR4 3200. Why no dual channel RAM?

The power supply is something called Great Wall. It's 750W gold rated

the cooler is some unknown dual rad, with an asus logo on it.

The GPU is on a riser, so no way for me to install a dedicated sound card (in the pics this was the non riser version). The way the case is designed there is no way to change the GPU alignment.

It was listed as coming with a 1 TB SSD although the sticker on the side of the tower shows an M2. This is not a big deal as the M2 and standard SSD's are practically the same speed.

At the very least I'm going to need a RAM kit, possibly a case, power supply and proper cooler.

Still I got the CPU I wanted and the GPU I wanted.

The motherboard is probably fine. It doesn't have a sku I can find without removing the GPU

There is a newer bios available for the system (1003 from Dec 2020) that I am going to install.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
What is the model number of that Great Wall PSU it might be something that should be replace since Great Wall is all over the map

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see the model without removing it. Looks like the sticker is on the bottom. Will try that next. It would be nice to not have to replace the PSU.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I have been reading (and watching Linus's reviews) there is no real need for 32GB of memory so a fast 16GB kit should do the trick. Anything around 3000hz should be fine.

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I guess it does have an NVME drive.

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the RAM kit I was looking at. It's a CL14 kit. For some reason the RGB version is cheaper than the non RGB

Also does anyone know why when the system boots up only the last 2 3080 fans spin (The one closest to the back of the case doesn't).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The PSU is gold rated, honestly I'd leave it be. Great Wall is just an OEM like FSP.
Motherboard looks like Z490 Strix-E, absolutely fine.
3200MHz CL22 memory stick has to go.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
The PSU is gold rated, honestly I'd leave it be. Great Wall is just an OEM like FSP.
The 80 plus rating has nothing to do with quality you can find 80 plus Titanium rated units with piss poor ripple suppression like the Strider Titanium so 80 plus has nothing to do with quality just look at the FSP Aurum

There is no info on the Great Wall so it could be trash it could be mediocre or it could be good who knows

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Then we just have a different opinion on this, no problem.
However I've seen the PSU's in cheaper prebuilts and they were mostly Liteon/FSP/HuntKey stuff, gold or even platinum rated. I'm absolutely fine with that myself.
It's not 2002-2006 anymore where the PSU in a prebuilt would go out with a bang and take the board or other components with it.

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya the RAM is garbage. I don't why they go that route.

The NVME is an Intel 660 series part # SSDPEKNW010T8

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The SSD is very mediocre, QLC. Might want consider selling it and replacing with something better. The QLC drive will get dreadfully slow when it fills up.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
Claiming the 80 plus rating has anything to do with quality is like saying a car is better or worse because of the tires its factually incorrect
80 Plus is efficiency and has nothing to do with stuff like ripple suppression and voltage regulation

its not an opinion you are wrong if you think 80 plus makes something better or worse thats not how it works
Edit: as for the SSD get rid of that its a QLC drive

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran Furmark briefly and the third fan spun up without issue. For some reason on boot up only the two right fans spin up. However, under load, they all run fine.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,387 Posts
While the PSU debate rages on, I wouldn't replace the cooler unless its either noisy or giving you trouble. If you bench it, how hot does your CPU get?

For an OEM pre-built, it doesn't look that bad. It's a bit odd to see a PCI-E riser in case that large but I guess that is the trend (vertical GPUs). It's also running at PCIE-4.0x16 speeds which is good to see :)

Luckily you got a TUF RTX 3080. The fans likely just spin at startup to remove dust. You can always double check the manual.

The weirdest shortcut though is the single stick of RAM. What a waste. If the timings were better, i'd just look for a single, matching stick to add to the system.

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Claiming the 80 plus rating has anything to do with quality is like saying a car is better or worse because of the tires its factually incorrect
80 Plus is efficiency and has nothing to do with stuff like ripple suppression and voltage regulation

its not an opinion you are wrong if you think 80 plus makes something better or worse thats not how it works
Edit: as for the SSD get rid of that its a QLC drive

What is the issue with a QLC drive.

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While the PSU debate rages on, I wouldn't replace the cooler unless its either noisy or giving you trouble. If you bench it, how hot does your CPU get?

For an OEM pre-built, it doesn't look that bad. It's a bit odd to see a PCI-E riser in case that large but I guess that is the trend (vertical GPUs). It's also running at PCIE-4.0x16 speeds which is good to see :)

Luckily you got a TUF RTX 3080. The fans likely just spin at startup to remove dust. You can always double check the manual.

The weirdest shortcut though is the single stick of RAM. What a waste. If the timings were better, i'd just look for a single, matching stick to add to the system.

I'm going to run a few stress tests shortly. Just updated the bios without issue to the new version. I'm going to have to do some major dissassembly to get at the hard drive sticker though.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
What is the issue with a QLC drive.
QLC is the least durable type of NAND flash and in some uses cases it can slow down and be as slow as a good spinning HDD
There is a reason why they are so cheap the speeds you see are at best use case scenario not actual real world use

The SSD is one of the worst parts in that system and its not like a TLC drive cost a whole lot more
Its $110 for a 1 TB Intel 660P on Newegg but a TLC based 1 TB drive with a Phison E12 controller is $130-136 on Newgg compared

Asus cheaped out on the drive its $20 more for something far better and thats WITH the 660P on sale normally its $130 for a 660P 1 TB

• Rep+
Reactions: 8051

·
Premium Member
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if i can transfer over the windows 10 key that came with the system?

Running prime 95 temps are hovering mid 60's currently

Just ordered a CL14 GSkill RAM kit will pick it up shortly.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts