Overclock.net banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Has anyone had any experience ordering from Dell? I ordered the monitor on Saturday. They billed my credit card for it and sent me all of the confirmation emails. Today I logged in at Dell and they indicated it had shipped but the charge for the monitor has dropped off my credit card? Do they pre-authorize and then only actually bill when it's delivered?

I can't imagine they would make me pay at the door when it arrives. I doubt Purolator is going to collect $1500 from me.

Strange.

Maybe I'll get lucky like I did at Bestbuy in December :)

I ordered a new laptop for my daughter for in store pickup and paid by credit card on their website. Went in and picked it up and then the next day they cancelled the charge for the unit and I got an email stating that the order was cancelled due to non pickup. ....

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Picking up the extra parts today to change the rest of the tower over.

Regarding the NVME, I am looking at the Western Digital black 1TB. Is there a different option that would be preferable? Also, haven't shopped for NVME drives before, is there specific compatibility requirement on the board?

I am assuming the drive goes under the slot that has the two screws on it. There is currently an Intel 660P on the board.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
The WD Black is overpriced the PNY CS3030 or the Corsair MP510 are cheaper and just as good and fast as long as you are not doing editing
As for your board most boards have two M.2 slots and you want to use the top one

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
The WD Black is overpriced the PNY CS3030 or the Corsair MP510 are cheaper and just as good as long as you are not doing editing
As for your board it has two NVME slots and you should use the top one

The top one being the slanted cover just below the cpu?

The PNY is only $10 cheaper,

Canada Computers doesn't have the MP510 and the MP600 is actually more expensive?

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Also should I keep the 660P as a back up drive? I guess I could put it in the second slot.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Your PCI-E riser is in the way so i cant see much of the board

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
That part above the top PCI-E slot is not a cover for an M.2 slot its too short and it looks like its part of the chipset
What motherboard is that i cant see the whole board when there is a GPU taking up most of the board

Its an Asus Strix something with LGA 1200 i can see that much

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
That part above the top PCI-E slot is not a cover for an M.2 slot its too short and it looks like its part of the chipset
What motherboard is that i cant see the whole board when there is a GPU taking up most of the board

Its an Asus Strix something with LGA 1200 i can see that much
I haven't been able to find the discrete model. I found a bios update for it on the Asus site and I know its Z490 chipset but that's about it.

I suspect its their own internal OEM. As near as I can tell it only has one NVME slot. I can't see anything else that looks like it.

It says Asus G35CZ in CPUZ

·
Iconoclast
30,997 Posts
Specs say it's got two M.2 slots for SSDs and it's supposed to have one right above the wireless NIC.

Pictures are hard to find:

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
It definitely has the lower slot but no sign of the upper one.

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Btw @shilka, I went ahead and ordered the Fractal Meshify 2. Being able to put a triple rad in it was what sold me on it. It's 21" long though. Going to take up a lot of space.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Btw @shilka, I went ahead and ordered the Fractal Meshify 2. Being able to put a triple rad in it was what sold me on it. It's 21" long though. Going to take up a lot of space.
Seems your board only has the one NVME slot so sell the 660P or keep it as a spare

As for the Meshify 2 you should replace the stock fans they are only 3 pin and their max RPM is 1000 so they are quiet but not very powerful and you cant control them other than with power

Did you order the normal Meshify 2 or the Meshify 2 XL?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can also put the 660p in a cheap Aliexpress NVME->USB-C enclosure (they use a JMicron controller) for a dandy, blazing fast USB drive. I've used a Kingston A2000 as such and was getting up to 1GB/s over USB.

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Seems your board only has the one NVME slot so sell the 660P or keep it as a spare

As for the Meshify 2 you should replace the stock fans they are only 3 pin and their max RPM is 1000 so they are quiet but not very powerful and you cant control them other than with power

Did you order the normal Meshify 2 or the Meshify 2 XL?

I got the 2, the XL wouldn't benefit me. I don't have any storage drives. I just wanted to ensure I could fit the 360 galahad in the roof of the case and the 2 fits it without issue.

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
You can also put the 660p in a cheap Aliexpress NVME->USB-C enclosure (they use a JMicron controller) for a dandy, blazing fast USB drive. I've used a Kingston A2000 as such and was getting up to 1GB/s over USB.
that's a good idea. I have an old 128GB Samsung SSD that I put in an enclosure to move movies around my media devices in the house. That would be even better.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
If you want some user advice when you get your Meshify 2 dont plug the front USB 3 ports from the case into the motherboard Asus motherboards is infamous for a problem where even the smallest damaged to the USB 3 header and it wont be able to post it will auto shut off after 30 seconds

I did that with a Crosshair VIII Hero all i did was plug the case USB 3 cable into the header totally normally without using force and i somehow damaged the header and bricked the whole board and then had to send it to RMA

Since your motherboard is not a normal one you cant RMA it you will need to put the whole system back to how it was and RMA it like you got it so unless you want to take the risk and do all that work dont plug the front case USB 3 cable into the motherboard

Buy a USB hub plug it in one of the back ports and leave it on top of the case if you need USB 3 ports and dont want to dive behind the PC

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Actually the way I am going to set it up is on the floor with the back towards my desk so it will actually be pretty easy to reach the back ports. I am building a rolling platform caddy for the case to sit on as well.

I actually broke a pin on my media PC USB 3.0 header last week when I swapped out the motherboard (I got a free gigabyte motherboard and intel 3470 to replace a much cheaper board and dual core chip). I just got a USB 3.0 extension cable and ran it to the side of the case in my tv cabinet for when I transfer stuff. they are really really finicky

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,406 Posts
It definitely has the lower slot but no sign of the upper one.

Just move the cables. It should be right about the M.2 wifi card if the picture from @Blameless is correct.

·
Premium Member
20,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Disassembly on this thing was not fun. already broke two items. not sure if they will be an issue or not...

the keystone card that had two tiny wires running off of it is hardwired into the case where the keystone slot is on top. I unscrewed the card and the two sautered wires literally fell off.

I have no interest in using the keystone thing so by removing the card will this be an issue?

Also the dreaded USB 3.0 port spent 10 minutes fiddling with it and it literally came away from the blue plastic nub in the socket. Not sure if I want to try and force it out.

I found the second NVME slot, its just well hidden

81 - 100 of 127 Posts