Overclock.net banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
You might just have bricked the board if you damaged one of the pins in the header
If the board works dont take it out just leave the cursed thing in place

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I don' think the pins were impacted as the blue bracket has not moved.

I had to remove the cable as it was hardwired into the case.

will removing the keystone chip cause any issues?

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Having a hell of time getting the backplate off for the old cooler. the adhesive they used is bong dooo tough

Looks like the pins are fine inside the blue bracket though

It was fairly simple to swap the NVME fortunately

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Sory i need to go to bed its 2 AM here and i looked at your picture and thought the head of the USB cable was stuck in the header which i have seen before
But no its just that the header is two colored for some dammed reason

I dont even know what that keystone thing is used for

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Its some kind of game or security thing I think. The damn wires were so flimsy I literally unscrewed the card and they fell off.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
These two wires on the small green PCB module??
These are just your WiFi antennas and the green small PCB is a WiFi card. The photo is blurry but it looks like it's Intel AX201. Can always reuse it in a notebook if you fancy WiFi AX.
These connectors pop right of if you pull at them from an angle and you can just click them back on but it's a bit fiddly to get them to line up with their sockets.

By the way, these USB3.0 header connectors....someone should get a life sentence for that design, sooner or later these pins will break. That said, I've never seen it broken off of the cable itself...I'd leave it alone for now, maybe someone had a great idea to put a bead of glue onder the connector.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
that's the wifi card? oops.

Ya the wires broke right off. It's ok I don't use wireless for the system (my cable modem is right beside my desk). I guess no loss then.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yep, it's a mini PCI-E WiFi card. This format is mostly being used in notebooks. You can even put an SSD in that slot (unless ASUS did something with the BIOS but I doubt it) but they aren't popular and expensive.

Do the 2 antenna wires still look like the cable on the left?

If so, that's normal, you can just click them back on the card if needed, you can even repurpose the card elsewhere in an PCIEx1 adapter like this one: Amazon.com: Zripool Wireless Network Card WiFi Mini PCI-E Express to PCI-E Adapter 2 Antenna External PC EXPI9301CTBLK: Computers & Accessories
It's just a plain Intel WiFi card, nothing proprietary.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
ok thats good. not as I definitely do not use wifi for the tower. They don't look like they clip on though but they literally just fell off. I'll look at them again.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Woohoo!

Booted on the first try. I still have a ton of work to do with wire management and software (loading windows then I'm off to bed.

Gang thanks for all your help especially Shilka. It's been awhile since I've built a custom rig.

Btw, the mounting pins on the Lian Li galahad are an absolute pain in the ass.

·
Iconoclast
31,004 Posts
maybe someone had a great idea to put a bead of glue onder the connector.
This is what I suspect. The connector is crap and the cable very stiff, so a lot of OEMs glue them down.

I'd head the area with a hair dryer or heat gun on lowest setting and then see if the blue end of the cable can be wiggled out of the socket.

ok thats good. not as I definitely do not use wifi for the tower. They don't look like they clip on though but they literally just fell off. I'll look at them again.
Chances are it's fine and the antennae just disconnected like they are supposed to.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Yep, it's a mini PCI-E WiFi card. This format is mostly being used in notebooks. You can even put an SSD in that slot (unless ASUS did something with the BIOS but I doubt it) but they aren't popular and expensive.

Do the 2 antenna wires still look like the cable on the left?

If so, that's normal, you can just click them back on the card if needed, you can even repurpose the card elsewhere in an PCIEx1 adapter like this one: Amazon.com: Zripool Wireless Network Card WiFi Mini PCI-E Express to PCI-E Adapter 2 Antenna External PC EXPI9301CTBLK: Computers & Accessories
It's just a plain Intel WiFi card, nothing proprietary.

I took a closer look at the card and I believe you are right.

I don't really care as I won't be using it but if I ever have to RMA the system, I'll have to put everything back as it was.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
About done for the night.

The Lian Li Galahad is pretty darn impressive.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
What are your clocks, is it with AVX? To me it seems more like the MB is sticking to the power limits.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
What are your clocks, is it with AVX? To me it seems more like the MB is sticking to the power limits.
I haven't started overclocking it yet. Just wanted to be sure the cooler was seated properly and working.

It was boosting to its turbo limit of 4.7Ghz on stock and temps high 50's in Prime. The Vcore under full load was 1.35 or so. I only plan to target 5ghz and I expect I can hit that with a lot less than 1.35.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
did a bit of wire management today.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Built a home made tower caddy. $12 in materials from Home Depot. They are stupid expensive on amazon...

• Rep+
Reactions: GanjaSMK

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Built a home made tower caddy. $12 in materials from Home Depot. They are stupid expensive on amazon...

I bought a finished one rather than building mine
The XL case with an NH-D15 an MSI RTX Gaming X Trio GPU and 5 hard drives is heavy as hell much more than your small and light system

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I bought a finished one rather than building mine
The XL case with an NH-D15 an MSI RTX Gaming X Trio GPU and 5 hard drives is heavy as hell much more than your small and light system

I couldn't find one cheaper than $90. That's half inch sold pine with industrial castors on it. It could probably hold 75 pounds easily.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts